This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power adapter issue

I've got an iBook with a flakey adapter. I'm fairly certain it's the adapter (despite the book itself having been taken in a couple times recently) because I could see electrical arcing through the insulation. Now, considering that these things run almost a hundred bucks, I would rather fix it if possible. Is anyone familiar with the architecture of these? What it looks like is a normal power plug that has a light ring (I assume LED based) around the broad tip. If so, is there any problem attaching up a normal-type tip to it?

to be quite honest, unless you are very good at rewiring things, and i mean good enough to do it for a living, buy a new one. if you have arcs in the cord its done, toss it, get a new one. for your safety and the comps.
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
      to be quite honest, unless you are very good at rewiring things, and i mean good enough to do it for a living, buy a new one. if you have arcs in the cord its done, toss it, get a new one. for your safety and the comps.
      I do it for a living. I just usually have someone in tech support to call up to verify things for me.

On the other hand, the moment after I posted here I thought "hey, maybe I ought to try actually looking on the web before bugging the nice people at CS." And found my answer in about thirty seconds.

Comment

found my answer in about thirty seconds.
        That's always the way it goes, ain't it? So what's the verdict? Rewiring possible?
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
          I do it for a living. I just usually have someone in tech support to call up to verify things for me.

On the other hand, the moment after I posted here I thought "hey, maybe I ought to try actually looking on the web before bugging the nice people at CS." And found my answer in about thirty seconds.
          thats cool. i worry about most people doing rewiring without really knowing what the are doing. had a room mate try to make a 220v plug work on a 110v system by bringing 2 sections together instead of having 220 run to his laundry room. he lucked out and only blew the fuses and disabled the back part of the house. he never learned.

like bj said let us know how it works out.
          This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
          my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm going to pick up a third party adapter, which is commonly said to be more reliable than Apple's version, and worth it to me just so I don't have to hunt parts down or risk wiring something wrong (even though that is only a low chance— I'm comptent, but even so, I've made the odd mistake, and don't want to risk destroying data). The adapter doesn't come with the little light ring around it, but if it's reliable, I don't really need that ring, and I can tell what the charge is by looking on the menu bar (the light ring has two colors, one for charging and one for full).

Rewiring is possible, though. If you're interested in the technical details, the adapter has a center pin with three sections and an outer ring— the types of adapters you're probably familiar with, though most of them only have two sections on the center pin. The outer section of the pin isn't wired, the middle section is ground, and the bottom section is DC in. The ring around the outside isn't wired to the plug. Instead, it receives power from the computer, which goes through the LED board and ends up connected to the ground line, which is how the computer lights up the connector.

Comment

Working...
            X