Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't want to talk about lotion anymore!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want to talk about lotion anymore!

I just can't do it, guys! There's too much lotion, all right? THERE IS SO MUCH LOTION.

Maybe I'd better explain.

See, every week corporate gives us a line item to sell at the register. It's up on the little stand next to the card scanner. It's always something different, usually something new, or something we have a lot of. And, basically, I'm sick of having the same conversation. Here is everything I've had to say for pretty much every transaction I've done... um, since I got this job in August.

* It costs a dollar. Just like everything else in the store
    * No, it's not on sale. Nothing is on sale. It's a dollar store.
    * No, it is not free. I specifically asked if you would like to BUY it.
    * I don't care that you were joking. It wasn't funny the first time, it's not funny the five hundred and fiftieth time and it sure as sugar wasn't funny the many, many times people actually thought it was free. After I asked if they wanted to PURCHASE it.
    * No, it's not a fundraiser for anyone. (This one is funny. When I ask, "Would you like to buy X?" They ask, "What for?" I was all, "Um... to... use?" After, like, twelve customers did one finally explained that she thought it was a fundraiser.)
    * There's nothing wrong with it. You look really paranoid when you asked, too. Why are you so suspicious? Would you like to sit down? Maybe have some water? One dollar. (They get downright accusatory with this question. Trust me. They really want to know what's wrong with it. They have trust issues. Someone has hurt them in the past, I'm sure of it.)
    * It's right here. I'm pointing at it. Maybe if you looked at me instead of staring vacantly off into the sunset you would see it. When you say "where," and I point and say, "right here, next to the register," and you say "where" again and look away, it makes me want to cram a locust down your throat.

And here's where the lotion comes in. For, like, three weeks the item has been lotion. And the conversation has moved to lotion. I have been making small talk about lotion for nearly a month. For the record:

* I don't care how much lotion you have at home.
    * You do not need to tell me what ingredients you are allergic to.
    * I have no interest in comparing brands.
    * I don't know how much it costs at other stores. I mean, I doubt it's less than a dollar, but I don't have a price chart or cell phone with internet on hand to check.
    * No, I don't use this brand.
    * No, I don't use any lotion.
    * It's because I don't like lotion. I only use it when my hands are literally bleeding at the nails.
    * You're welcome for that mental image.
    * I admitted I don't like lotion when pestered to give an answer, rather than lie about the product. However, no one wants to hear you whine about how much you don't want lotion. Actual whining, not just complaining, like with the high voice and everything. You are a grown up. Act like one.
    * Actually, no complaining, either.
    * Seriously, I do not care how much lotion you have at home. A simple, "No, thanks, I'm set," will suffice. Stop listing all the places you have lotion bottles!
    * STOP TALKING ABOUT LOTION.

And now that I'm done venting, I'm perfectly comfortable with the fact that this thread, if people post in it, is almost certainly destined to degrade into people talking about lotion.
    Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

I can almost kinda sorta understand people asking if it's a fundraiser thing, as some stores will put candy and such for that purpose right up front...BUT they put a hell of a lot of items that are actually FOR SALE right up there, too.

Oh, and, before I forget: *obvious joke about getting the hose again*

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth MrsEclipse View Post
      * I don't care that you were joking. It wasn't funny the first time, it's not funny the five hundred and fiftieth time and it sure as sugar wasn't funny the many, many times people actually thought it was free. After I asked if they wanted to PURCHASE it.

* No, I don't use this brand.
      Gah, people have no clue how unoriginal their "humor" is! And they really expect me to be amused. Men especially have this one joke where when I ask how much fabric they say something like "100 yards!" And I just say okay, I can special order if for you, with a straight face and then they get all flustered. Oh, or they tell me one yard, then as I'm cutting, say "oh no I meant two yards!" But they are just messing with me. I've never had a woman pull these. Not that they don't have equally irritating issues.

We also have $1 soap and lotion we're supposed to sell. I don't use it. The soap is harsh, and both the lotion and the soap are way to strongly scented for me. I've had many people ask me which scent smells the best. Um, none? Or how about everyone has different preferences? Sheesh. If you want it, pick it out your-freaking-self.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        You have no idea how much I needed that!
        Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with it. You look really paranoid when you asked, too. Why are you so suspicious? Would you like to sit down? Maybe have some water? One dollar. (They get downright accusatory with this question. Trust me. They really want to know what's wrong with it. They have trust issues. Someone has hurt them in the past, I'm sure of it.)
          This is the reason why I feared sales when I worked retail. Any time we had to strike a significant amount of the price off an item at least 50% of our customers would want to know what was wrong with the product that required us to discount it.

All attempts at a sensible answer ("It's being discontinued" "The brand is having a nationwide sale and we're participating") were met with yet more accusations that that couldn't be the reason and that it must be faulty in some way.

Comment

My bonny lies over the lotion...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Maybe some Dramamine will you with your lotion sickness. :-)
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

I was gonna come in here with that same joke. And then yell at the cashier when what I thought to be an original joke doesn't get a laugh.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Ding bat, ding bat...
                  Ding bat my money to me...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Any time, Mrs E. Glad I was able to cheer you up a bit
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I realize that lotion provides a lot of "hooks" for dirty minds to make puns, but do you need to "Rub it in, rub it in"?
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

If it is the store and the lotion brand I am thinking of, it is actually pretty good stuff. Used to be a lot more expensive, and they're big containers. At those prices, it seems a waste to buy just one.

So if you feel like buying it, if you've got a notion
                        Get a second vat of lotion.

Comment

* It's right here. I'm pointing at it. Maybe if you looked at me instead of staring vacantly off into the sunset you would see it. When you say "where," and I point and say, "right here, next to the register," and you say "where" again and look away, it makes me want to cram a locust down your throat.
                          That's... outstanding. Just enough violence to get the point across, but nothing too terrible!
                          Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Quoth Limescale View Post
                            This is the reason why I feared sales when I worked retail. Any time we had to strike a significant amount of the price off an item at least 50% of our customers would want to know what was wrong with the product that required us to discount it.

All attempts at a sensible answer ("It's being discontinued" "The brand is having a nationwide sale and we're participating") were met with yet more accusations that that couldn't be the reason and that it must be faulty in some way.
                            "Fine then, I'll sell it to you for regular price. Happy now?! Oh, and we also have some nice tinfoil so you can make yourself a lovely hat!"
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Alpha Strike View Post
                              That's... outstanding. Just enough violence to get the point across, but nothing too terrible!
                              Depends what kind of locust you're talking about. A flying insect would fit your description, but a 20 ton Battlemech would definitely be terrible.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X