X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
    Smartphones 101

It never ceases to amaze me how many people own a smart phone and do not know how to:

- Find their settings
    - Find their app store/play store etc.
    - Download an app
    - Turn the volume up on their phone
    - Locate their home button
    - Locate their back button (Windows and Android phones)
    - End a phone call (yes, I took a call once where all the person wanted to know was how to hang up. )
    This was a major factor in my divorce. No, I wasn't mad at her because she didnt know how to use technology, but that she blamed me for not knowing how to operate it when I was better at tech. She had an iPhone 4s, I had a 3GS. The maps app was a little different, and she used her bluetooth to transmit music through her car stereo. So when she couldnt figure out how to stop the turn-by-turn voice directions cutting the music out intermittently, she said to her daughter and daughter's friends in the back, "sorry girls, Eric cant figure it out so I guess were gonna be lost now...".

If you can't figure out how to operate it or read the manual and follow directions, you probably shouldn't own it.

Comment

I know a guy who went "moose hunting" with his brand new phone one night. Turns out he actually threw it at a tree and it shattered (surprise surprise), alcohol was involved....

He got cut off from the insurance plan as that was phone #3 in under 6 months. He spent the next year and half using one of his "less" damaged phones.

Comment

I only update my phones when the contract's up for renewal, iFruit only because I've got several of their computers and other devices and it all works nicely together.

I once dropped my iPhone 4 while attempting to put it in a case. Onto asphalt. $110 later, I walked into my shop with a newly repaired phone and bought a Lifeproof case. Somehow managed to break the rear of the phone IN the case, but considering it was in the case, and working fine, I didn't care.

As soon as I found out I was getting my 5S the following day, I bought myself a new case of the same brand, though it left the screen uncovered (so much easier to use.) It has since survived several dozen trips from the bathroom bench to the tiles below, water and other liquid splashes, a car accident, and my general clumsiness resulting in a bounce off the floor (or my shoe if I'm quick enough.)

Each case cost me ~AU$80 - but still a load cheaper than buying a new phone.

My iPad Mini that has never left he house however got a large crack right across the screen sometime in the first two months of owning it. Ergh. Not to mention the MacBook Air I left on the roof of my car....

Comment

The first one cracks me up. I get that when you get a new phone you need to play with it, to figure out how it works. But some people are just beyond clueless. My theory is, if its too difficult for you to figure out, got back to a flip phone. My mom, who is 80, doesn't have a smart phone, but has both an iPad and Mac computer. Both of which she figured out how to use on her own, with a little assistance and guidance from me and others.

Second one, at least they realized their mistake, and didn't try and make you conjure the number out of thin air!
          Last edited by MadMike; 05-19-2015, 12:37 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post!

Comment

You know, my Note 3 kept losing it's IMEI after the upgrade to Lollipop. Less than 3 months old, so we call the tech support and get a warranty exchange. Get the new one, and... Lollipop. It started losing it's IMEI too. One hard reset later (this morning) and it seems to be behaving. The other one, nothing we tried would get it to keep it's IMEI for longer than 5 minutes. Hard Reset, Kies.. everything short of rooting it and doing it via that.

No, I don't have the assured brand insurance on it. I have an Otterbox Commuter, which I paid $19 for on Amazon. This phone is used very heavily as a remote control (because when you have a toddler, finding the TV remote is.. nearly impossible.) I figure it will last the two years of the contract and then I'll be ready for a newer phone.

Edit: Nope, not fixed. Grrr..
            Last edited by raudf; 05-18-2015, 07:31 PM.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
              Dave's not here!
              *snicker*

And isn't there a voice answer option for many phones? I would look at the book for my droid because I think it does [or maybe it was my moto m9? I know at one point I had a voice answerable phone...as long as the phone was on and ringing I could answer it hands free.]
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                And I've never had the ifruit phones because I don't like 'em. So I have no idea why people pay hundreds of dollars for phones that do the same thing as my cheap Android. OK, sorry if you like the fruity phones; no intent to offend. Maybe they are better and I'm just not aware of the differences because I've never had one. Educate me?
                Obviously I can't speak for others but I have a couple reasons I went with an IPhone. First, my computer and tablet are both Apple brand, so I was already very familiar with the products. The IPad in particular is very similar in a variety of ways with the IPhone, so the transition was very easy for me.

Secondly, Apple doesn't make it easy to access its "stuff" when using non-Apple products. So while there are ways to share data between Apple and non-Apple machines, it's much easier to stay Apple across the board.

I would also mention that since getting an upgrade from my several-years-old flip-phone to a smartphone, I have noticed that my phone usage has gone up quite a bit. It's much easier to access my news and info apps, and of course having games chews up a bit of time as well. (I'm sure it would be no different on one of the current Android-brand smart phones).
                Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

I put OtterBox cases on all my kids' phones, and as rough as they are with them, they've never managed to break any of them. I've had two stolen phones (one mine, one a kid's), but never damaged. I've got four teenagers right now with phones that I provide (three of mine, and my extra kid I've mentioned before). My kids have iPhones, and the girl child has a Galaxy S3 (Thanks Jester!), and every one of them is in exactly the same condition they were in when I gave them to the kids. OtterBoxes are awesome! They're completely worth the price.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Who wants to guess if he got anything?
                    A big fat goose egg?
                    It's time to play....Stupid Answers!
                    I get this one a lot....I still don't know how to deal with it.
                    Every year, we offer...The Freshman Laptop Program. To...The incoming freshmen.
                    Every year....students walk in. With broken laptops.
                    "What year did you buy your laptop?
                    "Freshman year."
                    "....."
                    "?!"
                    "......and.....*sigh*...what year was that?"
                    "I'm a sophomore now!"
                    "so...*sigh*...three years ago....so....2012?"
                    "um......I guess so."
                    <later> "we'll have to send it out..we'll give you a loaner to use in the meantime...it will take about 10-15 days...we'll let you know as soon as it comes back."
                    <one week later>
                    random 20 YO wearing baggy pants, a "U" sweatshirt and backwards ball cap appears in doorway>"yes, I wanted to know if my computer was ready?"
                    "....?....."
                    "I dropped it off last week."
                    "..?..."
                    "It was broken."

Comment

Working...
                    X