Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny how it's the minor things that annoy you most.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny how it's the minor things that annoy you most.

I can handle almost insane levels of rudeness and unpleasantness with a pleasant smile on the outside and a controlled rage in my heart. But whenever this tiny little thing happens it's all I can do to not perform random acts of extreme and unpleasant violence.

Seriously.

I am sick and tired of it.

If you ask a question, and I answer it DO NOT respond with an inane 'oh, really?' 'are you sure?' or just repeat my answer to me in the form of a question. I WAS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. Asking ANYTHING else, fine. Just DON'T, for lack of anything else to say DOUBLE CHECK ME.
    Grrargh.

Sorry. Tough day.
    Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
    ...But whenever this tiny little thing happens it's all I can do to not perform random acts of extreme and unpleasant violence...
    Oh really? Are you sure?

(runs for cover!)
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Really? Don't repeat you in the form of a question?

*hides with Sheldon*
      Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Yeah, that's annoying alright.

But there are lots of ways to respond to such an innane "question". A nice firm "YES, really" is a good one. Or you could get sarcastic and say "No." That's always funny.

How about, "I'm not sure, let me check" then take a long time checking and making the customer wait then finally respond with, "yes".

But I feel your pain, especially if it happens all the time. Those little words become like triggers.
        It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

This came to mind, not exactly sure why, maybe it could be an appropriate response.

"Have you in fact got any cheese at all?"

"Nope, I was deliberately wasting your time sir"

I agree though, its not like these people aren't calling you because they didn't know the answer themselves and then they have the audacity to try and tell you your wrong. It can be quite infuriating.

Comment

I've always wondered why people ask me things if they aren't going to believe whatever I tell them.

Then there are the ones that already "know" the answer.
            Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

SC: Do you have any of this part?
              Rep: [checks stock] Sorry, no, we're all out.
              SC: You're all out? Are you sure?
              Rep: Oh, wait, maybe we do have some.
              SC: That's great!
              Rep: Oh, no. Sorry. I was right the first time. We're all out.

*snicker*

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I work in supermarket bakery and what bothers me most is SC's will just blurt out a question without getting my attention first. Since I have two ovens, soda coolers and exhaust fans running in the background I usually will not hear you. Even if i do i will always ask for clarification. Besides the annoying part it is just really rude to bark out questions without saying something to get my attention, wait until I acknowledge you presence, etc.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only that's bugged by this! A variation on the theme - when you answer the question and they ask you the same damn question just phrased a little bit differently, like somehow that's going to change the answer.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

That is one of the most annoying things people can do. It's not small, it's not easy to ignore.

I do two things to these people, and I don't care if I upset them, we don't need them for customers. The first time they do this to me I answer them in an annoyed tone and say to myself "That's once!"

The second time I just keep my mouth shut. Don't say a word. After a short time they will repeat themselves and I still ignore them. Then they start to get agitated. This is good. You have their attention. Then they ask again and I say (in mock surprise) "Oh! Were you talking to me? I answered that. Didn't you hear me?"

Then if they keep on I become a robot. "But I answered that." "No, I told you that." I don't care if they are offended, that is what I am trying to do.

Comment

Quoth chinashirtgirl View Post
                      Yeah, that's annoying alright.

But there are lots of ways to respond to such an innane "question". A nice firm "YES, really" is a good one. Or you could get sarcastic and say "No." That's always funny.

How about, "I'm not sure, let me check" then take a long time checking and making the customer wait then finally respond with, "yes".

But I feel your pain, especially if it happens all the time. Those little words become like triggers.
                      My personal favorite is to tell them, "ummm...let me check. wait a short time without doing anything (like 5 sec.) and then turn back and say, "yes.........no wait!! wait!! wait!!.....oh..... yes. annnnd now......yes. and now?.......yes"

There's nothing that is more annoying to a smart aleck than being one-upped by a better smart aleck.....

you could also try repeating their own question back to them. Or answer all their questions with a question (like "did YOU check?") or a philosophically (or psycologically) impossible question ( I wonder why the cows stopped producing milk. Did they conciously decide they didn't want their milk made into cheese? Were they tired of being overworked and underpaid? That could have caused the cheese shortage. how do you think the dairymen felt?... etc.)

Or you could just use the standard answer, "Asking the question a second time or rephrasing the question doesn't change the answer I gave you the first time. My answer is still the same....and yes, I'm sure."
                      Last edited by Brightglaive; 04-23-2008, 08:52 PM.
                      You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

I have just started responding with a cold, hard, 'Yes.'
                        Once someone went, in response to me 'Yes' Oh, I know you work here and you know, but ARE YOU SURE?'

I nearly lept across the counter and strangled her.

She also went downstairs for like two seconds while there were two people putting out stock down there, came back up and said 'I KNOW you said it was down there but I couldn't see it and NO-ONE ASKED IF I WANTED HELP, so...'
                        Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Working...
                        X