This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gnawing someone's head off.

Oh god, I was the ultimate sucky customer today. I reeked of suckiness, and thus, I must confess my sins.

1.) I have a toothache. It's one of those in the jaw where a wisdom tooth throbs. Aches to the point that my eye has been twitching all day. Thus, Repsac was and is not a happy camper.

2.) When I hurt like this, I must admit I get a bit snappy. Then again I'm not the only one or so I'm told.

3.) People that know me pretty well can tell when I'm in pain. I go quiet and tend to avoid more contact than usual. Plus, cold makes it hurt worse.

Walking into a small store today, I happened upon a friend of mine who's the manager. He graciously directed me down to the pain relief isle and even went ahead and opened me a pack of this awesome stuff. it must have clove oil in it, for it tastes like that; but either way the pain was dulled to a degree. Taking my stuff up front, I put several things down on the counter and slide them over. Most of it is for the toothache. (Tylenol, Oral Gel, and this clove oil stuff, some q tips to apply it... you get the picture. It all says one word. "Pain.") While I'm being checked out, the throbbing comes back and groan softly touching my cheek. It's at this point I become teh suckness. Innocent cashier looks up and says in a somewhat sing songy voice:

If you brushed your teeth more, you wouldn't have a cavity.

At this point I snapped. It's not a cavity, it's a fricking wisdom tooth. Looking at her I just groaned and hissed:

And if you had a brain, you wouldn't be working here.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000

I saw her a bit ago, maybe about twenty minutes and appologized. I did tell her that I was in a ton of pain and the comment of hers was off base, but that I didn't have the right to say what I did. She just clicked her tounge and went on.

Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Nah. She should have kept her sqeakhole shut about your medical condition. Would she comment on someone buying Preparation H or Jock itch cream? She needed an ass chewing for not minding her own business.
    I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

I have to agree. She had no right to comment on your situation without any idea why you were in it. I'd have done the same. And you even went back to apologize, which is above and beyond.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

You might ask your manager buddy to have a talk with her, about what is an appropriate remark and what is not. Generally, it is not a good idea to comment on the customer's purchases, especially medical ones. And it's really not a good idea to make personal remarks like that.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

She was really rude and inappropriate, but I personally don't endorse the "two wrongs make a right" attitude.

Ideally, you would have politely told her that your dental hygiene is none of her business. However, I'm going to give you a free pass on this one, because I have had toothaches resulting from wisdom teeth coming in and I know how bad they can be. They turned me into a complete grouch, too.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Don't be too hard on yourself... I for one can't stand prissy mother hens like her. Heck, give yourself a little pat on the shoulder just for assertiveness (not necessarily the comment). I'm the suffer-in-silence type.
            "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
              Nah. She should have kept her sqeakhole shut about your medical condition. Would she comment on someone buying Preparation H or Jock itch cream? She needed an ass chewing for not minding her own business.
              My primitive (brilliant?) human brain related these two facts.
              "If your ass was less chewed, you wouldn't need Preperation H."
              "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
                "If your ass was less chewed, you wouldn't need Preperation H."
                I'll get her a tube then.
                I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

I've had toothaches so bad that I've gone in to the emergency room for pain pills. They usually stem from a combination of impacted wisdom teeth and a sinus infection. And it was always a filling that caused the actual pain.

I turn completely anti-social when in pain. My usual response to any form of contact would be a muttered comment about being in a lot of pain so I'm not a very nice person at the moment.

Regardless, she was completely out of line to make any sort of comment, and was especially rude to basically say that you were lacking in oral hygiene. How utterly insulting.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I agree. It was nice that you apologized, but you didn't owe her. She asked to be snapped at.

That she doesn't want to accept your apology is just sort of beyond the pale. She's an ass.

Comment

*HUGS* Rep I feel for you. With my whole mouth problem I heard everything from everyone who didn't know anything. (Not you guys, but people in the show and what not). I also know the whole "gnawing someone's head off" feeling. HUGE hugs to you hon.
                      Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Sorry to barge in - I never really know if I'm welcome here - but to add to what everyone else said, on top of everything else, the remark the little bitc..., er, the lady made is not true. You can brush religiously and still get cavities. I have a friend who had braces and brushed so hard and so often in an attempt to avoid cavities, that she damaged the enamel on her teeth, and now they're painfully sensitive. My tooth enamal was damaged by medication I took when I was a small child, and this has made me vulnerable to cavities.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. The little twit is lucky that you only bit her head off and didn't complain to her boss.
                        Women can do anything men can.
                        But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                        Maxine

Comment

^This. I brushes religiously as a child, flossed and used mouthwash... however, due to a little something known as "weak tooth enamel", I still got fillings.

I also hate tooth pain with a passionate hatred that most people save for tax inspectors and screaming children, so I would have been a lot ruder had anyone said such an insensitive remark. I have 1 wisdom tooth that grew in skew whiff; it's sticking out of my gum the wrong way, however I refuse to have it removed. I am that scared of the dentist.

However, had I been in your position when suffering my tooth abcess, I probably wouldn't have just snapped back, but would have told her to f off, too. Honestly, the pain was so bad, I was necking handfuls of painkillers. Strange to say, when I went to buy said painkillers, no-one said anything... maybe the murderous look on my face quelled all comment.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

I gotta put myself in the "she earned the brainless remark" camp. As a person who suffers from chronic pain I don't really want to hear peoples opinions on "if you only lost a few pounds your back wouldn't hurt". Well fuck you it's degenerative, it will never get better.

My feeling is that comments like that belong in the same catagory as, "never ask when a woman is due". You just never know the whole story. And there may be extenuating (wow a big word and i'm to damn tired to care how to spell it) circumstances surounding the condition like Sparky said.
                            My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

When you work in the service industry, you do not remark on ANYTHING PERSONAL of the customer's unless invited to do so.
                              Eg "Do you think this colour suits me?" or "Have you ever used this shampoo before?"
                              Making uninvited remarks to someone who is clearly not in the mood, and also in pain, is inviting a written complaint to management.
                              I would've gone straight to the manager with that. It is just not right to make comments like that unless you had said "Gosh, I wish my teeth didn't ache so much" or something similar.
                              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
                              X