This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faire-ly Ridiculous Patrons

I have been working as a performer at Florida Medieval Faires since I was about thirteen. In those years I've encountered some rather outrageous stories and people, but I've not yet had a place to express the mind-bending idiocy. Thanks to the Customers Suck! Forum, I can finally share the pain.

The first story takes place at Bay Area Renaissance Festival 2005 or 2006 while I was doing some volunteer work as a squire for the jousting troupe. Everything was going rather according to drill and I was out at the list field with another squire setting up all the equipment needed for the upcoming performance. I turned around to check on the lances only to find a drunken patron with the lance between his legs. To this day I'm not sure if he was being intimate with it or pretending that it was his genitals, but nothetheless it really wasn't something I'd wanted to see. I approached the man and informed him that he would have to leave the field and put the lance back in its holder. He simply stared at me. I inquired how much alcohol he had consumed that day. He laughed and informed me, "Enough". I think a little piece of my soul died when I had to touch the lance.

The second story has been ongoing for several years at the Hoggetowne Medieval Faire. I work as a character and as a fighter on the Living Chessboard put on by the Thieves Guilde annually. Sometimes my job is to work with the patrons to teach them the cheers, chants, and jeers that are traditional for the Chess Games. One year while doing so, I discovered a small boy in front with a wooden sword yelling obscenities at me. I tried to ignore him, but apparently his lung power was too mighty for him to simply give up. He began to resort to telling me (quite loudly) that nobody loved me and that I should go kill myself. Since killing patrons is against the rules, I restrained myself and continued with the show...until the darling threw the aforementioned wooden sword with rather astounding accuracy. I'm pretty sure I was lucky to escape the encounter without a mark.

The third story is far more simple. Before I joined with the Thieves Guilde Living Chess Troupe I worked as a narrator for "Ye Olde Goat and Pony Show", a little short piece of pseudo-medieval theatre with trained goats, llamas, dogs, pigs, et cetera. Every morning when faire opened, the other actors and I would walk the llamas up front to greet the patrons. You know, I never realized just how many people don't realize that a "llama" and an "emu" are two totally different things.
    Why did Darwin bother giving us hope?

Quoth Omi Maxwell View Post
    Since killing patrons is against the rules, I restrained myself and continued with the show.
    What about putting them in the stocks?

Quoth Omi Maxwell View Post
    You know, I never realized just how many people don't realize that a "llama" and an "emu" are two totally different things.
    Last time I checked an emu was a flightless bird and a llama was a mammal that will bite you if given half a chance. As will the emu but taller.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

So in their world, llamas lay dark green eggs and emus birth live young. Hmmm interesting that world is.
      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

OK you make we want to hug all my favorite faire-ys....
        Oh and i love your name and avatar. Its sooooooo cute!!!

Comment

There's actually a farm near me that raises emus (and they have a cow...or a bull, I can't really tell from the road at 50mph). I've been driving past this place for years and years, and it was only 2 years ago in the spring that I ever saw babies...baby emus are cute
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Where's that other faire post, where is it? GAH!

Ahhh. Here it is. I'm gonna go stick my hand in a light socket now...
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Ah, the ever-popular drunken faire-goer.

Actually, the "Southern" faire here in California had one particularly memorable repeat patron who got notoriously drunk pretty much every visit.

She would come clad in top and kilt, and was known to go regimental, and at times either challenged guys to check or would just flash them (and anyone else around). She had keepers to get her off-site safely when she was finally too plastered to remain in public.

The actress is Claudia Christian, but most people know her as Susan Ivanova from Babylon 5. You can find plenty of tales of her drunkenness at faires here and there on the net.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Wow! Ivanova goes regimental! Now we know why Londo's hair was like it was....

Ahh yes Renfair where many folks think the rules of sane and proper behavior are off. Although the Ohio Renfair at Harveysburg tries to run a "family fun" based environment so they hustle folks off pretty quick if they get a bit too umm barbarian in their behavior at least. And for the most part folks do keep it light enough. So yeah those are about the worst of the lot I've seen there. Hopefully thats the way it stays too.

As for the little lovely bugger did you at least keep his sword? You could claim it was a gift from an adoring fan like they throw roses at the opera.

Emu arnt they the ones that like that horribly depressing I'm going to end it all because the world sucks music?
                Last edited by Rahmota; 06-30-2007, 05:03 AM. Reason: made a joke

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                  a llama was a mammal that will bite you if given half a chance.
                  They'll spit, too, as my advisor in college found out!

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  She would come clad in top and kilt, and was known to go regimental, and at times either challenged guys to check or would just flash them (and anyone else around).

The actress is Claudia Christian, but most people know her as Susan Ivanova from Babylon 5. You can find plenty of tales of her drunkenness at faires here and there on the net.
                  Why, oh why do people think it's ok to act like this when the put on a kilt? Half of 'em don't even have a drop of Scottish blood anywhere in their ancestry.

And is that the reason she suddenly disappeared from B5?

Quoth Rahmota View Post
                  Emu arnt they the ones that like that horribly depressing I'm going to end it all because the world sucks music?
                  No, Rahmota, no, that's emo! But funny! Reminds me of that comic, Emo Phillips. He had a saying that I love, "Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the leather restraints."
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I knew what an emu was when I was a kid from that show....christ, what was the nameof it? It was that British guy with the crazy emu puppet that would always maim his guests. Rod Hull?

That guy cracked me up when I was a kid. I still get a kick out of it now. -.-

Comment

Man, I haven't thought of Rod Hull and his Emu in years!! I loved him too. I think he was Australian, though.

Thanks for the great memories!

Comment

Quoth hecubus View Post
                        Man, I haven't thought of Rod Hull and his Emu in years!! I loved him too. I think he was Australian, though.

Thanks for the great memories!
                        He worked in aussie land for a while, but he was British. So sayeth the wise Wikipedia. ^^

MAN SERVANT HECUBUS!

Comment

He was always on British TV when I was a young 'un. I was quite disappointed when I found out real emus weren't blue.
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                            And is that the reason she suddenly disappeared from B5?
                            :
                            Um.... Check the ployline of B5.

Comment

WOW! So I,m NOT the only one who had to deal with her and the sorry bunch, "Clan McStagger"! My dealings with her was some years ago. So she is still forcing her entitled bitchy self on poor unsuspecting faire workers and faire goers alike? Wow.

Comment

Working...
                              X