This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pettiest of thieves

Though on leave of absence at the moment, I'm an employee of a grocery store. This is from my early days of cashiering:

On a May afternoon at the express register, the Muzak blared merrily from the speakers as the sun beamed painfully into the eyes of cashiers and customers alike. I stood turned towards the windows, my left, as I finished bagging a blonde lady’s order and dealing with her payment. Out of the corner of my right eye, I saw a short, hefty woman walk up with her groceries and grab the pen I kept for credit card receipts. This was not unusual; I assumed she meant to write a check.

Come time to pay, she pulled out cash. I was quite taken aback at that. She must have seen me turned to the side and saw it as an opportunity. Like a jewel thief dangling from the ceiling, she had looted her prize while the guard’s back was turned. In her mind, paying with cash and exiting the store may have been equivalent to hanging silently from the ceiling, diamond in hand, as the guard blithely traipsed below her.

What to do? I could not make a federal case out of a stolen pen. It simply wouldn’t do to call her on it. But…

“Ma’am? Could you check the floor for me real quick? I had a pen a second ago, and I think it might have fallen.”

“Ididn’ttakeit!” she blurted, eyes widening.

I paused a moment to let her think about what she had just done, then slowly and courteously responded, “Ma’am, I didn’t ask if you took it; I asked you to peek at the floor for me.”

“Oh.” She glanced at it briefly. “No, I don’t see it.”

We finished the transaction, and she left somewhat red-faced. I laughed
    as soon as she was out the door. That was four years ago, and to this day I hide my pen when that lady approaches my register. She never indicates that she notices, but sometimes I wonder.

*MOD EDIT - Race of woman is not relevant. Removed that detail.

Talk about a guilty mind.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
      Talk about a guilty mind.
      Um... Becky... that's not technically correct.

Having a guilty mind requires you to have a mind to begin with.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Detail removals

"*MOD EDIT - Race of woman is not relevant. Removed that detail."

Here's the problem I have with the removal of that identifier. There are other identifiers that can be deemed offensive as well, that were left in.

"as I finished bagging a blonde lady’s order"

"I saw a short, hefty woman"

Comment

I was thinking the same thing.

And considering the descriptive writing in other parts of this story, I don't think the mention of the person's race has any other intent besides describing said person.

Comment

Guys, you must admit that racial inferences in posts have many more ramifications than weight, height or blonde inferences. I totally agree with the mod. You can do something about being blonde, short or fat.
            This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
              Guys, you must admit that racial inferences in posts have many more ramifications than weight, height or blonde inferences. I totally agree with the mod. You can do something about being blonde, short or fat.
              Well, fat, yeah, barring physical disorders. Blond, only if you want to use chemicals on your hair. Short, only with very tall platform shoes.

However, blond jokes and the like-- well, most people know they're jokes. Few people take them seriously. Racial issues, however, can become life-and-death type things.

Comment

Being a moderator on an internet message board is such a thankless task that always results in someone being disgruntled no matter what you do and is some cases, what you DON'T do. I think this board is run well and the adminstrators are fine as evidenced by the fact that I never see flame wars here. I really enjoy this site and its stories. I don't think the removal of the lady's race really took anything away from that story.

Comment

Wow, is she really so hard up she has to nick a pen? I can understand if she'd signed the slip with it and then absentmindedly wandered off with it (I do that enough )
                  but this was out and out theft!
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Woah! I never intended to offend anyone. That was actually an excerpt taken from a paper I wrote about work. It was meant to be descriptive, as in, honest in a way that helps the reader picture the scene. Actually, that helped me get a good grade. I really wasn't implying anything; I've never even heard of a kleptomania stereotype associated with this race.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                      Um... Becky... that's not technically correct.

Having a guilty mind requires you to have a mind to begin with.
                      Point taken.

:scampering off:
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I've known people like that. They don't really want the item, but they have to take it. I had a kleptomaniac roommate who would steal some of the stupidest things and then stash them under his bed. This stash at one time included his own plastic comb.

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                        Quoth Shengirl View Post
                        Woah! I never intended to offend anyone. That was actually an excerpt taken from a paper I wrote about work. It was meant to be descriptive, as in, honest in a way that helps the reader picture the scene. Actually, that helped me get a good grade. I really wasn't implying anything; I've never even heard of a kleptomania stereotype associated with this race.
                        I can certainly understand why race can be a sticky issue.

However, when it is obviously and merely used as further descriptive, removing it tends to focus more on it and be a subtle force diametrically opposite the intended result.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

If you're a natural blonde you are SOL!

Just thought I'd mention that.

Blas, the natural blonde.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            I've known people like that. They don't really want the item, but they have to take it. I had a kleptomaniac roommate who would steal some of the stupidest things and then stash them under his bed. This stash at one time included his own plastic comb.
                            Was he part ferret?

Anyone who's had ferrets knows about the little "stashes" they leave here and there. Unfortunately, one of my ferrets' favorite stashes is my underwear drawer. I have found numerous non-underwear items in there, including but not limited to: graham crackers; dog kibble; an old hairbrush that I tried repeatedly to throw away; and cat toys.
                            He loves the world...except for all the people.
                            --Men at Work

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                              I'm short. Always have been. By what I know of human physiology, always will be. What, precisely, can I do about that? Please, help me realize my lifelong dream of dunking a basketball!

Quoth blas87 View Post
                              If you're a natural blonde you are SOL!
                              Funny, I know I've seen dark hair coloring solutions in stores.

Still nothing in the bottle to help with my being vertically challenged.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X