This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Weather Morons

A couple of wet weather stories. Winter's just settling in nicely here, and I have to admit, I'm enjoying it greatly. It's never as cold as I'd like, but I'll take what I can get. Winter also keeps the majority of Sc's away, as they're apparently prone to hibernation. Much like bears and certain species of toad.

Shocking refund request:

I may have posted about this guy ages ago, but he's a good example of SC entitlement when it comes to refunds.
    Buddy has two fried circuit boards with him, which, in conjunction with the fact we've just had two major storms roll through the area, leaves me with a sinking feeling.

Buddy: Hey, I need to return these, they're completely fried and they don't work now.
    I look at the boards. They're surge protector boards. Good ones too - if they've fried, it means they overloaded so hard the breaker couldn't trip and shut them off, and they fried.
    Me: "Weird, this brand's pretty reliable. What happened before they stopped working?"
    Buddy: "Oh, my house got hit by lightening. () It was pretty scary, I thought my *super expensive home theater system and related equipment* was gone for sure."
    Me: "So, the boards failed to protect them adequately?"
    Buddy: "No, my stuff's fine, but the boards don't work"
    Me "....well yeah, your house got hit by lightening. That's a massive surge. They died, but in this circumstance, they were kind of supposed to. They functioned exactly as they were supposed to."
    Buddy: But they don't work!"
    Me: "But they protected your equipment, which they're supposed to do."
    Buddy: "I understand that, but I want a refund."
    Me: "You want a refund on the items that functioned correctly...?"
    Buddy: "They didn't, they died!"

Buddy spent a couple of minutes arguing with me about this one. Buddy called for a manager. Buddy got his refund from the manager because "he's kind of right you know, they don't work. You can even smell the burnt wiring!" Manager was less happy about her good deed for the day when I explained the purpose of surge boards for her and then pulled the info up online. Buddy used the money to buy two new boards of the same type and brand because the old ones were awesome! FFS.

The Tweaker Convention's in Town

This one's from this week. I was on a ten hour shift, starting early in the morning. It's a Sunday, which means my section's dead enough that I can work on the backlog and housekeeping.
    I notice something interesting. Almost every customer in the morning looked like they'd just walked out of the 'Faces of Meth' catalogue.. One guy was obviously still off chops. Came in with a friend, and I shit you not, from the time they walked in to the time they walked out, the guy had not stopped fucking talking. Yammering on about everything from the weather to the state of our floors. It was a bizzare morning. I swear, out of every 10 customers, 7 looked like they crawled out of a cave somewhere near Mordor. I joked to my manager that there must have been a tweaker convention in town last night, and the participants are still awake and looking for something to do. He laughed, but then pointed out that we had been selling large amounts of drain cleaner recently. Ahh...shit. Ok.

Around midday I decide to have a break. While eating lunch and browsing through my phone, I check out the news items of the day. First one that grabs my eye is "A 36-year-old man has been taken to hospital after *local district* Police found him high on meth, break dancing on *local* Hwy
    Stay classy, tweakers.
    Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Buddy totally should have called the surge protector company... they love testimonials like that. They almost certainly would have replaced them in exchange for permission to use his name.

On the tweakers: Really, I'm surprised they don't outlaw the sale of drain cleaner to consumers. Not only can it be used to make meth, it's dangerous in general, and it doesn't even clean drains very well. (And if it doesn't work, your plumbing is now full of caustic chemicals your plumber is going to charge you extra to deal with.) If you have a clogged drain, a snake (or disassembly if it's just the trap) is the way to go.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
      Buddy totally should have called the surge protector company... they love testimonials like that. They almost certainly would have replaced them in exchange for permission to use his name.
      Back when I was working for the local computer store, we were an APC Authorized Reseller; what that meant is that if an APC unit did it's job and protected the equipment, the customer could come to us and have it replaced for free. We'd contact the APC rep with info from the old unit, they'd authorize a replacement, and we'd get a new unit to resell. I even had one of my APC surge protectors replaced by doing the above.

Most good surge protectors/UPC units have a similar replacement procedure, or have a way to contact them for a free replacement. Some even have limited coverage if equipment is damaged while connected to the unit. Why they didn't do that, I have no idea.

Comment

Quoth RichS View Post
        Most good surge protectors/UPC units have a similar replacement procedure, or have a way to contact them for a free replacement. Some even have limited coverage if equipment is damaged while connected to the unit. Why they didn't do that, I have no idea.
        Because either the customer didn't know it, or didn't want to deal with the process when he could just 'defective return' it.

Comment

Quoth Latekin View Post
          Buddy got his refund from the manager because "he's kind of right you know, they don't work. You can even smell the burnt wiring!" Manager was less happy about her good deed for the day when I explained the purpose of surge boards for her and then pulled the info up online. Buddy used the money to buy two new boards of the same type and brand because the old ones were awesome! FFS.
          So, the manager basically gave the SC free boards because she didn't know what they were supposed to do? Smooth move, Ex-Lax.
          Quoth sirwired View Post
          Really, I'm surprised they don't outlaw the sale of drain cleaner to consumers. Not only can it be used to make meth, it's dangerous in general, and it doesn't even clean drains very well. (And if it doesn't work, your plumbing is now full of caustic chemicals your plumber is going to charge you extra to deal with.) If you have a clogged drain, a snake (or disassembly if it's just the trap) is the way to go.
          I've also used baking soda and vinegar; not only do you get a cool drain "volcano" it really does a good job of cleaning it! Probably not the best if you've got a big solid clog; I'd use a snake in that case.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I'm guessing Buddy didn't contact the manufacturer because he wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. He seemed like the sort of guy who'd buy one of those mega expensive HDMI cables because he believed he'd get more pixels in his TV or something.

I wish they'd outlaw the sale of anything vaguely caustic to customers who haven't passed a basic IQ test. Remind me to tell you lovely folks about the fucknut who put hydrophobic acid down his kitchen sink.
            Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

Quoth Latekin View Post
              ... the fucknut who put hydrophobic acid down his kitchen sink.
              Hydrochloric?

(Visualizes a blob of hydrophobic acid belching out of a drain, screaming and steaming!)
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Latekin View Post
                I wish they'd outlaw the sale of anything vaguely caustic to customers who haven't passed a basic IQ test. Remind me to tell you lovely folks about the fucknut who put hydrophobic acid down his kitchen sink.
                Is hydrophobic acid scared of water??

Do you mean hydrochloric acid?
                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

While I suspect Latekin meant Hydrochloric, there is such a thing as hydrophobic acids. They are a type of protein. Or so Google tells me.
                  "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    (Visualizes a blob of hydrophobic acid belching out of a drain, screaming and steaming!)
                    Ask, and ye shall receive.

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Damn, auto-correct kicked my ass. Yeah, hydrochloric acid. He was trying to clear a food blockage, but something reacted in there...yeah. Hell of a mess.
                      Plumbing from the 1950's should not be mixed with the same stuff you use to etch your driveway.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

I've also used baking soda and vinegar; not only do you get a cool drain "volcano" it really does a good job of cleaning it! Probably not the best if you've got a big solid clog; I'd use a snake in that case.
                        Ok, I've had 2 cups of coffee this morning and now this afternoon I'm working on ice tea but I still read that as "a big solid DOG.
                        "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                          Ok, I've had 2 cups of coffee this morning and now this afternoon I'm working on ice tea but I still read that as "a big solid DOG.
                          Having a bit of a keming problem were you?
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                            By any chance, was the coffee from the Emerald Isle, and the ice tea from the body of land housing the NYC boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens?
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                              Having a bit of a keming problem were you?
                              That's why I force my browser to use Monospace font.

Comment

Working...
                              X