Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tales from the Auto Shop: Can you help me out man?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from the Auto Shop: Can you help me out man?

*Please note, this story mentions marijuana smoking, which is legal in Colorado (and important to the story). Please focus on the SC and if you have strong views about MJ please take them to Fratching.

BG: There is a used car lot next to our parking lot that has no parking. Ever since they threatened to sue us for libel, we are not on the best terms. Their customers try and park in our lot because there's no where to park on theirs. We always politely ask them to move. /BG

This really old Buick pulls into the parking lot and goes over to the area where we usually see people park to go over to the used car lot. I always keep an eye on these cars because they are parking near our personal cars. There were two people in the car and they sat there for about 5 min without moving.

I signaled to my tech that I was going out to talk to them so he could make sure to keep an eye out in case they got upset. I walked up to the car and noticed smoke coming out of the windows...then the smell hit me and I realized they were smoking some really foul weed (the smell gives me really bad headaches so I try and avoid it).

I walked up to the window and asked if there was anything I could do to help them. The people in the car were the quintessential really skinny guy in a wife beater and a rather large woman in tiny, tiny clothing. The guy steps out and says, "Yea, so my car keeps overheating and, like, I went to AutoZone and bought the top part, but it keeps overheating so I need to talk to your mechanics to see if I need the top part or the bottom part. Can you help me out man?" He sounded like every stereotype of a pot smoker out there and I was mildly surprised he didn't say duuudeeee. I wish I had audio.

I told him my techs were busy and he could check his car in or make an appointment. He kept insisting they could just tell him what was wrong, but I kept deliberately misunderstanding him and asking when he could come in for an appointment. He eventually left in a cloud of confusion and smoke. Never did get the free help he wanted though.

Two thoughts:
    1) Illegal parkers in the lot of the local mechanic seems to be a common story. It happens to my own mechanic all the time, and they have cars towed often.
    2) Wanting free advice/service is also a common theme for mechanics, computer technicians, doctors, musicians, etc etc etc.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

A lot of people think that if they just abandon their car amongst a lot of other cars, nobody will notice....

Ironically, we used to tow from the lot of another towing company..... they weren't open 24hrs, so when they'd go home, we patrolled their lot At least a car a week would get the yank from there because the owner was at a party down the street.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Not going for a super threadjack here, but I'm curious: Why did the Used Car lot threaten to sue you for libel?
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
          Not going for a super threadjack here, but I'm curious: Why did the Used Car lot threaten to sue you for libel?
          I am also curious about this.

Comment

Thirded!!! Please, if you can, tell the libel story

Comment

I do not care about the MJ itself, to each their own. But driving under the influence is dangourous and illegal. Even driving slowly "like a stoner" can be dangourous, especially in areas where quick reflexes are needed.

I also curious about the liable story. My guess is it involves your techs telling someone the truth.
              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
              X