This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for nothing, snitch!

Today at my work I was assigned to clean out the kiddy tubes in the restaurant.

43 minutes to go. It's dead today and the tubes are quiet as a church. I get some sanitizer in my eye and come down to rinse it out. Boss tells me to go on break - this catches me completely off-guard because I'm only working four hours and leave in less than one (we only do one 30 minute break per shift here, no idea how we get away with that). While I'm busy lolwatting, I forget all about the bottle of sanitizer and the towel that are still sitting up there.

30 minutes later, I come back. Now there's a customer in the kiddy room. I start to go up into the tubes, then come back to ask a coworker to still come get me when my shift ends (I have no watch, and there are obviously no clocks up there). A customer stops me and asks to see a manager. I ask what for, and he evades the question and refuses to tell me, which I immediately figure is bad news, though I still don't suspect the sanitizer. As I don't have a choice, I take him to the counter and, as there are two managers working in pretty much the same space, lean around the corner and say that a customer wants to see "one of you". Of course, it couldn't be dirty tables or something else minor, his kids found (but fortunately didn't try to mess with) the sanitizer. Also of course, one of the managers is the obnoxious power tripper who directly inspired "Thou Shalt Not" in the management personality types thread, who immediately takes charge of the situation and chews me out. Snitchy McTattlerat apologizes that he "didn't mean to get me in trouble". Huh. TSN then tells me that if I'm off at [T], I can just go get the cleaning supplies out of there and go home, since by that point it's [T-10] anyway. I figure that's the end of it, get the stuff, and go to confirm she really wanted me to clock out.

Big mistake.

"Waitwait," she says, "I have to talk to you in the office." We go to the office and she rattles off the spiel I'm sure you can predict: that was stupid, someone's kid could've died, I'm gonna have to write you up.

Now I admit. I was stupid. I got carried away with the fact that there was no one there at the time, and got caught completely flat-footed when given a break at such a strange time. However... if Mr. McTattlerat had told me what his problem was instead of insisting on a manager, I could have informed him (and it would have been true) that his problem was less than two minutes from no longer being a problem, and thus managerial involvement and a writeup could have been avoided. I half suspect that when he said he didn't mean to get me in trouble, he meant that he didn't know I was the one who made the mistake, not necessarily that he didn't want to get anyone in trouble.

tl;dr I made a stupid mistake, got written up, and gave my managerial nemesis another reason to think I'm an idiot, but the latter two wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the troll customer who just haaaad to tell a manager.
    Just stay out of the "workplace memes" thread. Please. I mean it.

It's pretty normal for customer to report it. You know you made a mistake. It's really wishy-washy for the customer to stand there and backtrack after knowing you're there.

Comment

How dangerous could that stuff possibly be? You got some in your eye and didn't go blind or anything, right?

I can see why you didn't secure the cleaner before you came in - your eye needed to be rinsed out. Did McManager Writeyouup know why you came in? Was she the manager who stopped you on your way back out there and told you to go on break?

I'm not a huge fan of attaching statements to writeups but this case I might, just because anyone in possession of all the facts should see that this was a relatively minor deal.

Comment

It was a dumb mistake, everyone makes them. Me, you, and I guarantee both the manager and the customer have made their share. The fact that you were going to flush out your eye when you left them there is totally understandable! That takes priority.

Quoth Shotgun Chuck View Post
        ToI half suspect that when he said he didn't mean to get me in trouble, he meant that he didn't know I was the one who made the mistake, not necessarily that he didn't want to get anyone in trouble.
        I think you're right - mainly because he was more interested in waiting to get A Manager to talk to, than in snagging the first employee he could find who could grab the stuff and move it quickly.

Comment

wait, is this like hand sanitizer or something else?
          Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
          Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth wordgirl View Post
            How dangerous could that stuff possibly be? You got some in your eye and didn't go blind or anything, right?
            It depends on how well it's diluted. Depending on the ppm, it can be anything from "horrible poison" to "mostly harmless"; the sweet spot for general cleaning use is 200-400 ppm (it's Super San in case you're familiar with it, and I have gotten drops of properly-diluted mixture in my mouth without any apparent trouble; I tried to err on the low side of the range because I wasn't allowed to use a test strip when mixing it - had to rely on my nose!!!)

I can see why you didn't secure the cleaner before you came in - your eye needed to be rinsed out. Did McManager Writeyouup know why you came in? Was she the manager who stopped you on your way back out there and told you to go on break?
            I'm not sure she knew at the time, though I might have told her later on while all this was happening, and yes, the managers were one and the same. Not to mention, I was caught completely flat-footed by the order to go on break 45 minutes from the end of a 4 hour shift.

After conferring with others in my household (alright, I admit, I still live with my mother), I've come to the conclusion that that break might have something to do with the recent visit of an angry corporate bigshot. That place does so much janky stuff I could probably get them shut down with one whisper to the Dept. of Labor, and I'm guessing Mr. Corporate told them to straighten up and fly right before someone does exactly that - so they technically fulfill the state requirement (except not really) by randomly giving me a break in the last hour of my shift.

wait, is this like hand sanitizer or something else?
            No, it's just general "everything sanitizer" (Super San, as I said above); though I'm sure it kills germs on hands as effectively as it kills them anywhere else, it's not optimal for that role.

The stuff we use as hand sanitizer is even worse; if you look it up online you'll find that's it's explicitly NOT APPROVED FOR FOOD CONTACT USE, and is nasty enough that you're supposed to use it before you wash your hands, not after; somehow, though, they still get away with telling everyone, including line & fry cooks, to use it after they wash their hands.
            Just stay out of the "workplace memes" thread. Please. I mean it.

Comment

Quoth wordgirl View Post
              How dangerous could that stuff possibly be?
              As others have said, it depends on how much it's diluted.

Straight, it burns me.

Not diluted enough, it gives me a rash.

As a matter of fact, we can't even use it to clean tables, we have to use watered down window cleaner.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My mom warned me that she had seen news stories about kids dying from alcohol poisoning from drinking the stuff. Not sure how credible that is though, but it's probably what the manager meant when she said a kid could have died.
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                  My mom warned me that she had seen news stories about kids dying from alcohol poisoning from drinking the stuff. Not sure how credible that is though, but it's probably what the manager meant when she said a kid could have died.

Sorry but i'm going to go with Darwin on that one. Parents need to pay attention to their kids.

I get it the cleaning agent's should have been removed, but crap happens. If more people were interesting in watching there kids and not dropping them off in the ball pit while they surfed their phones, or for that matter not fed them crap fast food we would have better children being raised who don't drink weird stuff they find sitting around on the play ground.

Why did I just think of Ralph Wiggum......

Anyways all around the OP was in the wrong for leaving it, the "Snitch" was trying to get someone in trouble so they feel good. No one died live, learn, move on.

and keep Ralph out of the ball pit he keeps eating them....

Comment

We once had an SC try to get us into trouble due to her child managing to get hold of a bottle of our cleaning stuff. The stuff is bright pink, but harmless unless child managed to drink the entire bottle, which she didn't cuz my colleague Sarah snatched it right out her hands. We didn't get into trouble cuz CCTV backed up our story that, while Sarah had been cleaning the shelves, the child had grabbed it out of her hands while her mother chatted on the phone.
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

That story reminds me of vinegar boy.
                      I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Working...
                      X