X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going for the Kitchen Sink defense?

Ms Defense Attorney:

I know that in a busy law practice it is an easy out just to copy a motion you found that another attorney filed, and then use it for whatever your needs might be (actually a very common and very accepted practice among attorneys) but at least read what you or your staff copied/pieced together before you sign and file it.

You just filed a discovery motion regarding an illegal left turn traffic ticket for which your client signed the promise to appear and drove on. The problem is that you asked for ballistics reports, arrest/criminal records of all witnesses, all documents any expert witness will use to testify, the inventory of your client's car following its impoundment, and all autopsy and toxicology reports associated with the charges. You referred to your client both in the feminine and masculine. Your client's name even changed in one of the paragraphs.

The prosecutor has been laughing all morning. So have the court officers.

Hope the judge does not lose it on the stand as well when this motion gets heard.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Oh, wow. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall when that one is read in court.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Will you be in the court when this happens? Will you be able to post a follow up?
      Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

If they follow up with the Chewbacca Defense (tm) it'll be the greatest motion in history.

Comment

Motion denied on account of the attorney and her staff being incompetent?
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

I'm assuming that this attorney is the type that has made no friends in the clerk's office that might call her and give her a head's up she's going to have her a$$ handed to her unless she amends.

And what sort of motion is necessary for a routine minor traffic ticket? Your lawyer shows up on the appointed day, asks for a deal, usually gets it, and we all live Happily Ever After; nobody's gotta file 'nuthin.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
              And what sort of motion is necessary for a routine minor traffic ticket?
              Asking for a copy of the municipal ordinance that made the left turn illegal at that intersection, a copy of any dashcam video, the officer's notes, etc. are legitimate discovery requests for things the prosecutor probably would have turned over immediately.

I have a feeling the prosecutor will wait until the hearing date to respond to this one.
              "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
              .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Wow. That's just pure incompetence. As a paralegal, I might have been asked to prepare something like this, and would have definitely used something previously done, BUT, would have made sure i did it to fit that case. Not to mention, the ATTORNEY is the one who's name its filed under, so THEY would have and SHOULD have looked it over with a fine tooth comb, before it was filed.

Comment

The couple of times I worked (as a temp) in a law office, EVERY document got read by AT LEAST three people before it ever hit the attorney's desk for signature. And most of the attorneys read it through before even picking up the pen.

That's some corn-fed stupid there, ST.

Comment

You have the right to an attorney, but, we never said they were a terribly good one, now did we?
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      You have the right to an attorney, but, we never said they were a terribly good one, now did we?
                      "You have the right to an attorney, if you can't afford an attorney, we will get you the dumbest fucking lawyer on Earth! If you get Johnny Cochran, I'll kill you!"
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                        That's some corn-fed stupid there, ST.
                        I'd guess that from the legal definition, it would be a minimum of 51% corn-fed. That lawyer needs to learn that they weren't called before THAT kind of bar.

You have the right to remain stupid. Anything you say can and will get you laughed and/or yelled at in a court of law.
                        Last edited by wolfie; 06-05-2016, 11:13 AM.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

As my uncle the lawyer used to remind me - judges and prosecutors are human like everybody else. There were some who hated him, for reasons he never discovered.

But this level of dumbness, obnoxiousness and/or entitlement will NOT be overlooked by judges, prosecutors or their staffs. And it will VERY quickly get you on their bad side. Which isn't a good place for a lwayer to be, not to mention their clients...

Comment

Oh, to be a fly on the wall at that hearing.

"Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

We have a local judge who told a story like this on himself - from the days when he was a horribly overworked public defender. He turned in a discovery motion in a retail larceny case that had been cribbed from a sexual battery case. So it included demands for lots of .... swabs. For various parts.

The prosecutor made sure everyone saw it, of course. 15 years later people were still randomly yanking this guy's chain by giving him swabs. My favorite quote from the story "I'm pretty sure most of them were unused."

Comment

Working...
                              X