This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer wanted me to pay for his groceries

This incident happened yesterday at work.

After one of my customers unloaded his groceries on the belt, he told me that I was paying for his groceries.

I told him that I do not work full-time.

He continued to joke about that.

So I played along.

And then before paying for his groceries he repeated that I am paying for his groceries. So I told him that my landlord is not happy that I am not working full-time.

He left butt-hurt.

Mr. presumptuous. I would have told him something else, but we all know what happens if we do that.

Any hope he just had a really lame version of a sense of humor?
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
      Yeah...

That is possible, but it still came off as presumptuous.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
        The kind of asshole that gets offended that you don't laugh at his jokes.

"Whassa matter?! You ain't got no sense of humor?!"
        "I'd have laughed if you said something funny."
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I don't even get this whole interaction. If he was joking, you said you went along with it, so why is he mad? If he was NOT joking, then he's just stupid. Either way, wtf?

It's like the few SCs at my work who will ask me to come sew their project. They say it sort of jokingly, but actually they are serious. Like, really? It's not funny if it's a joke, and if you honestly think I'll come to your house and sew your curtains, you're just stupid.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            It's like the few SCs at my work who will ask me to come sew their project. They say it sort of jokingly, but actually they are serious. Like, really? It's not funny if it's a joke, and if you honestly think I'll come to your house and sew your curtains, you're just stupid.
            Reminds me of the customers who pull the old "Now, can you come home and put it away for me...?" joke when I'm bagging up their groceries. NEVER FUNNY.

Comment

Yesterday I dealt with another customer like this but this time the customer asked me if he had to pay for his groceries after I finished ringing up his groceries and gave him the total. He said "You know... maybe day *grocery store* will give me free groceries."

My answer was yes, he has to pay.
              Last edited by snugglegirl05; 06-14-2016, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I have no earthly idea why he would say that, but my answer would be "I don't even know how I'm going to pay for my own groceries!" Which, come next month, will probably be true.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Your mistake was playing along. When I get things like this I flat out tell them that if I had the money for it I would be spending it on my family. Most people won't argue with that and will even sympathize.

Comment

Should have thanked him for paying for some of your groceries and grabbed a few bags to playfully drop behind the counter.

Comment

Maybe he was trying to use the force?

Comment

"These are not the groceries you're looking for." [waves hand]

Comment

Forgive me, as I loathe and detest Star Wars in all of its forms, so I don't really know, but isn't that force spell only supposed to work on the weak-minded? Somehow, I don't think the OP qualifies.
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                            Forgive me, as I loathe and detest Star Wars in all of its forms, so I don't really know, but isn't that force spell only supposed to work on the weak-minded? Somehow, I don't think the OP qualifies.
                            I honestly have no clue. I'm not a big star wars fan either

Comment

Quoth panamared View Post
                              Should have thanked him for paying for some of your groceries and grabbed a few bags to playfully drop behind the counter.
                              I wouldn't recommend this. The SC would have an absolute fit and claim that you were stealing his stuff.
                              Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
                              He said "You know... maybe day *grocery store* will give me free groceries."
                              Sure. And maybe one day Because of course grocery stores exist to give away the product that the store itself paid for. Why on earth should they try to make money like every other business in existence? Why should the employees want to get paid, rather than working just for the satisfaction of serving the customers? Why not...*spark* *crack* *fzzt*

Whoops, looks like my sarcasm overloaded.

But seriously, does that finagling for free groceries ever work anywhere?
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X