This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Are you having a bad day?"

I'm not sure if that's really sucky, but I'm really bothered by it.

We had intense spurts of busy-ness every half hour or so today. Staffing has been such an issue that Electronics Guy practically spent his whole shift up front ringing. I wasn't as chatty as usual when this happened because it was a busy moment.

At some point I accidentally ripped her coloring book and called a manager to grab another off the floor. Just as manager came to see what was wrong the lady was explaining why she needed to buy all this stuff. I really didn't care, but was trying to listen in case I needed to respond in a socially acceptable manner. Manager's question distracted me and at that point I was asked the title question. It shocked me because outside of the busy-ness I had actually had a pretty good day, so I said no, I was fine. I explained that I was trying to be quick because it was very busy today and we were short on cashiers and customers don't like to wait. The response was "I know; I used to do this, too."

The things that bother me:
    --Even if I am having a bad day, why do I need to justify it? It makes me feel guilty for not being PollyAnna.
    --If she had worked retail, she should've seen how busy it was and accepted that customer service wasn't going to be over-the-top friendly, but low-medium friendly.

And to boot I told her at the end that her book would be there shortly and she just wandered off. Manager had to go look for her.

Maybe it's a brain fart on her part since she hasn't worked in retail for a long time. Maybe it's my fault for letting the stress show. (I must have.) Maybe it's the company's fault for basing staffing on sales. I don't know; I just feel annoyed and guilty at the same time and I hate that feeling.

I need a job wher no one sees my face.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

It might have been meant innocently enough, but as an ex-peon they should have known better than to phrase it that way; I think it was a case of them FTSTS in their choice of words.

Coupled with them wandering off, I have to wonder if they weren't the one having a bad day!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I've been checked out or otherwise helped by employees who clearly have something going on in their life. Or maybe they just had a rude customer, or got told off by their manager. Whatever, they have a look like they're upset or angry or sad.

You know what I do? I ignore it and just have a regular transaction. It's that easy. I don't know in what situation I'd feel like I needed to comment on or ask about an employee's mood. I don't comment when someone is super cheerful, why would I comment if their facial expression isn't the definition of happy? Oh right, I'm not nosy and controlling.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Your customer worked retail for 3 months when she was 16 and remembers it as a lovely experience since she only worked 10 hours a week.

Comment

i don't know, i think SC seem to be more rude when they don't see your face.
          there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
            Your customer worked retail for 3 months when she was 16 and remembers it as a lovely experience since she only worked 10 hours a week.
            OR - her manager person thought she was the cutest thing since sliced bread, and indulged the hell out of her, so she never came face to face with the ridiculousness of the average SC.

Comment

Signs Of Too Much Undertale:

You misread the OP title and hear Sans' voice.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

for me it started playing that stupid song from the work playlist "you've had a bad day"
                Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

J2K - That's nothing. I'm now hearing a metal remix of that song in my head ('Megalovania'). Not that that's a bad thing.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    J2K - That's nothing. I'm now hearing a metal remix of that song in my head ('Megalovania'). Not that that's a bad thing.
                    I spent most of my shift on Sunday listening to remixes of Megalovania, so you're not alone.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Try having one of those for a manager. I do. Our new apparel manager who looks like she's 15.

Every day, every time she sees me she says "How's it going?" and I give her the usual "It's going" and she says "That doesn't sound very positive!" or "Don't be so negative!"

I'm picking up a very Moon Unit vibe from her. Saturday morning I and the rest of the general merchandise freight lackeys are scrambling trying to stock a large truck while apparel manager is chillaxing with her people in the backroom telling them "We aren't going to stress out about the truck; the fitting rooms are a mess and returns aren't done." Gee, wish the expectations placed on me were 25% of what they are.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I call them the Hippie Managers. In her case I bet she has flash backs to concerts she wasn’t alive to attend. If you’re old enough to have lived in the Hippy days I have no beef live, love, peace. If your 15 and think you’re magic crystal will power your karma on your cosmic quest to make everyone happy.... good luck lol. Now get to work kid!

Comment

Working...
                        X