This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Doctor is dropping...

Last week's episode dropped to a new average low of 4.6 million, with a low point of 3.9 million in the show. Even moving it to Sunday night between Countryfile and Call the Midwife didn't help-a million people turned off when it started, then two million switched on when it finished. Apparently the shift from science fiction to social issues hasn't gone down well...
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

I think there are multiple other reasons as well. In no particular order:

-- Making people wait so long between seasons isn't a good thing. People lose interest.
    -- A short season. 10 episodes.
    -- The writing doesn't seem nearly as good. Say what you will about Moffatt, but the last couple of seasons haven't seemed to have good writing.
    -- I don't know if "ensemble" companions are helping or hurting. I'm wondering if they think the "diverse" companions were helpful.
    -- Starting off with a two-part episode didn't help matters, either.
    -- The introduction of "Tim Shaw" wasn't bad, but I'd like to see The Doctor take on the Weeping Angels, or the Cybermen more. And this new episode with "two" Doctors was just plain weird.

Is it turning into, to quote Sheldon Cooper, "Doctor Why Bother"?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Interesting thread. Last time I watched the famed Doctor, it was when Tom Baker and his trademark scarf were the stars.

I've been watching some YouTube channels which feature critics of various SF and fantasy shows and movies, and they have been HIGHLY critical of the new Dr. Who, for a variety of reasons , including "the shift from science fiction to social issues," the "diverse" companions (emblematic of the "social issues"), the current actor's extremely poor job of portraying Dr. Who as a dippy and hyperactive child, and the just generally (in their opinion) crappy writing.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
      X