This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding the evidence

Was checking codes at work today, reached far back to pull some cans of peanuts off the shelf to check the expiration dates...and grabbed a pair of discarded chicken bones instead.

Fuck's sake, if you're gonna eat chicken from the deli while you shop (if you even paid for it at all), throw the fucking bones in a trash can, or at least place them in plain sight instead of hiding them behind products on the shelf like a child.

That's just disgusting ... never mind hideously unsanitary.

The worst I've known about at my store is the idiot who put a package of pork chops in the gum display. I saw a customer pick it up (and hand it over to me), but there was no telling how long it had sat there, so of course it was garbage.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Worst I've encountered was raw steak actively hidden behind cereal boxes. Worst I've heard of from (now former) CW's was lobster hidden in a similar fashion.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

When I was still at my old overnight replenishment job, I lost track of how often I'd find perishables and half-eaten food stuffed in behind other things. Often, by the time I'd had my section fronted and stocked I'd have an overflowing grocery basket of stuff to be scanned out and tossed (and that's before getting into the outdated stuff that coworkers - including the department manager - had put on the shelves). And the section I was responsible for wasn't all that big either! I'd hate to see how much I'd have pulled out of the regular grocery section...I know I found lots even when I was doing my grocery shopping in the morning after my shift ended...there's a reason I don't shop there now that I've moved onto bigger and better things. Their other store, closer to my home, is my preferred store anyway

Comment

Stories like this make me glad that my old store didn't sell any kind of hot food. Not sure anyone did back then, actually.

Still, people leaving meat and frozen stuff on a random shelf wasn't any better.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I've had coworkers bring over sliced meats and cheeses that customers just put onto the shelves and leave without bothering to bring it back to the deli. Majority of the time these meats and cheeses can be repacked into the sandwiches and the pre-packed meat we slice daily and keep in the cooler right close by the counter [so that customers can just grab it if they want those things].
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Guarantee that these people would be the first ones raising holy hell if a rodent or other such pest were to be seen in the store.
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
              Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

I hate the auto ind..but there is worse out there and this is proof.
                AkaiKitsune
                Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Worst I've encountered was raw steak actively hidden behind cereal boxes. Worst I've heard of from (now former) CW's was lobster hidden in a similar fashion.
                  Been there, seen both. Was the lobster alive? I found a *live* lobster - still in the bag - hidden in the bread aisle when I worked at the local supermarket.

Another one that sticks out in my memory is the 2L bottle of generic lemon-lime soda put in the ice cream freezer. It managed to go undetected long enough to freeze solid. Somehow, it didn't blow up.

I occasionally hid stuff on purpose when I worked there. However, it was always along the lines of hiding a drink that isn't normally sold cold in the back of a cooler and then buying it on my break, or stashing something before it sold out so I could buy it later.
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                    I hate the auto ind..but there is worse out there and this is proof.
                    Yes, one of the things I liked best about the fabric store is we didn't sell perishables! Sure, a lot of stuff got misplaced, but it never needed to be written off. You've probably dealt with similar stuff.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

We have a small basket of free fruits at the front of the store for kids. I've lost track of the number of parents (and occasionally their kids ) who will say to me "Do you have a garbage pail back there?" and hand me the banana peels.

Of course, I'm not the one who would find the peels if some slob left them behind. So far, though I've not heard of it happening.
                      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Oh yeah, we have our own basket of clementines and bananas for the kiddies at the front of the store, and I'm always finding discarded peels and rinds in carriages.

Comment

My wife used to work in a supermarket, the biggest peeve for most of the staff there was when someone picked up a fresh product from the butchery/fish dept/deli/etc, then had second thoughts and rather than sticking it in a chiller so it stayed cool, shoved it in the FREAKIN' FREEZER.

By the time it was found or someone handed it over, the product had frozen solid and they had no choice but to count it as wasteage due to store policy stating they can't sell 'fresh, perishable' products that have been frozen, then subsequently thawed out in case the customer that picks it up wants to freeze it themselves.
                          Violets are blue,
                          Roses are red,
                          I bequeath to thee...
                          A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Working...
                          X