This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work advice?

Recently, I got two part-time gigs. I'm a freelancer, so I'm not an employee at either place. Neither one is my ideal job, in any way. But it's money.

Today, I was talking to the woman in charge at one of these places. She's been training me, and she's been very nice. We were talking about a workshop that's going to take place on Friday. She asked me about my skills in speaking the local language, since the people who signed up for the workshop are local. She doesn't expect me to have complete fluency, or to be able to understand complex sentences, but I did come to realize that she wants me to stand up and make a 20-minute speech without reading off a paper. (I had thought that this would be acceptable, to read the speech, but she says it's not.)

Furthermore, this workshop involves children. I am not a kid person, not by any standards. The parents will be there, but I am still not a kid person. I've never worked with them, don't know what to do with them, and the thought of having to entertain kids in addition to everything else is damn near horrifying.

I came home and started looking for other jobs. Preferably, full-time. What bothers me is, I was only hired a few weeks ago. I had my doubts about the job even then (spending a fair amount of time on my feet, for one thing), and that was before I found out that I would have to be dealing with children.

I'm torn. The woman who is training me is one of the owners of the business. She's been nice, but today the way she talked and acted was different. I can't quite put my finger on it. She told me to dress nicely and wear my hair nicely, which makes me wonder just how ratty she thought I looked. She's never made any comments about my appearance before. And the whole thing about the speech before the workshop...

I don't like the idea of quitting a job after just a few weeks, and I do worry about how she'll take it, but the more I think about it, the more I think that this is my best option, even though it means making less money in the short term. What are your thoughts?

Sounds like the job was misrepresented to you. Can you talk to the other owner(s) about your duties and their expectations?
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I second talking to the other owner to see what's going on, what needs to be communicated between them and you, and what you might be doing from here on out. If you can't get a straight answer then maybe this place might not be suited for you, and I'd start looking for another place to work. Yes it's not an ideal situation, especially only after a few weeks, but you can always tell future employers that job "wasn't a good fit" even if it was a short-term job.

Always keep your options open.
      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

As far as I can tell, the woman is the one in charge of the store and what goes on in it. (The workshops take place on the premises.) The other owner seems to be involved in other areas of the business. Also, I have no way to contact him.

I'm not an employee in the legal sense, by which I mean that I'm working for them on the basis of my business license. This means that it's not going to be a job that would necessarily be added to my resume. I have other clients for whom I work, but it's by no means steady, which is why I've been looking for other work.

The more I think about it, the more I think that this just isn't the job for me. Working with children is challenging enough, without throwing foreign-language skills into the mix. And I'd be the one cleaning up after them, which is even worse. Not to mention having to give a 20-minute speech, as if kids would be eager to listen to me talk for that length of time.

Not optimal, by any means.

Comment

I emailed the woman telling her that I'm not the right person for this job. I pointed out that working with kids requires a special kind of person, and I'm not that person. I also said I'm not confident that I have the skills to give a 20-minute speech in any language other than English (and, though I didn't tell her this, droning on for that length of time is challenging even in one's native language).

I suggested a different form of cooperation, and I'm still waiting for her response. I'm working there today, so I'll definitely see her.

Comment

Working...
          X