This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want to talk to you, either!

I work in a call center for a major financial institution. We get a lot of calls from customers who just want to activate a new card or make a payment, and they're surprised when the call is answered by an actual person. Some of them handle it better than others.

I had a guy cut me off during the verification process today. "I just want to activate this card!" he snapped at me before I could even finish my greeting.

"Wonderful, sir. I can take care of that for you. Can I get your name and the last 4 digits of the card you're calling about?" I get assholes like him on the phone every day but I'm still courteous and professional.

So I'm trying to be nice to this guy and he's grumbling through the whole verification process. I activate his card and ask him the same general questions we have to ask every caller, simple things like signing up for payment alerts. I think I may have offered him a promotion for bonus points on his rewards card (which is a FREE offer, BTW). He's just an asshole the entire time, and then he interrupts me to say:

"I just wanted to activate my card! I don't understand why it didn't go through to the computer. My account is in good standing. Why do I have to talk to you?"

I'm so sick and tired of customers acting like it's such a horrible thing to talk to a live representative. Normally, we're supposed to placate them by saying something like, "Because you're such a valued customer, we want to make sure that you're receiving all of the benefits and features available on your account," or, "We try to offer personalized service to our premier customers." Blah, blah, WHATEVER, you suck. For some reason, this dude just got under my skin a little bit. So I replied:

"Sir, it isn't a negative reflection on the status of your account to be able to speak with a live representative in the United States...Is there anything else I can help you with today?"
    Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Well done!!!

Comment

Thank you for your professionalism, even while thinking mental hate-daggers at the SC's rudeness. I admit it's easy to get testy when calling in and having to go through a spiel and listen to "promotions" (which for many companies, means "sales pitch"). So good work keeping a level head, even if the SC didn't.

By the way, the "We try to offer personalized service to our premier customers." is an awesome line.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I also work in a call center - do you know how many times a day customers complain in my ear because they had to use the automated system before they got to me? Proof positive that an SC will never be happy, no matter what...

Hang in there, fellow call center wage slave.

Comment

I HATE the automated systems . . . I'd much rather talk to a live person any day of the week.

Nicely handled, Good Sir. Too bad I can't think on my feet like that more often.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
            I HATE the automated systems . . . I'd much rather talk to a live person any day of the week.

Nicely handled, Good Sir. Too bad I can't think on my feet like that more often.
            I was just about to say this. I thought most people hated automated systems that makes you jump through hoops making you want to talk to a live person. I like automated systems that get to the point though, like for quickly paying bills or checking an account balance. Whatever, there's always that one person who's never satisfied. It's like when a news story would call for a picture and or video and it's just text. Then there's the ones with some video, obnoxious host and the story only requires a couple paragraphs of text to get to the point.

Comment

Hopefully I'll get to the point where someday, I can do more than go "Uh oh um, ah..." when someone gets extra-snippy with me. That's what I'd have done (shamefully.)

Comment

I'm not always so quick with the witty replies. Yesterday I had a customer who was so upset about talking to a live rep, he asked me 4 times if there was another phone number he can call to go directly to the automated system. He seriously did not believe me when I told him there is no such number. "You're kidding, right? You've got to be joking!" Yeah, that's me, just sitting at my desk, pranking customers on the bank's dime.

So then he gets mad and says, "Well that's just a huge waste of money. I mean, how long is this taking? All I wanted to do was get my balance and I have to deal with you asking me all of these questions..." ACTUALLY, motherfucker, YOU just asked ME the same question FOUR TIMES. Because you're an idiot.

And he repeats the part about how my job is a huge waste of money for the bank. Honestly, I was so mad, and shocked, that I was speechless. I really did not know what to say. Of course he repeated this AGAIN, and asked me to pass his complaint along to management. I finally started to say, "I'm sorry you feel that way," but he had already hung up.

I'm ashamed of myself. But mostly still angry.
                Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Unbelievable.....5 will get you 10 that the same SCs would be bitching and moaning about the lack of a live rep the moment they have an issue that can't be easily solved by an automated system.
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Ugh. i hate rude people. i will say i don't really care for the 20 questions I KNOW the rep must ask when I call to activate my cards, which is why I will always choose the online option. but if for some reason i must call, i am polite, as I know they don't decide what to say or ask, they're told. people are just rude.

Comment

Love the response. And your blog is well written and will actually have some positive effect; I'm going to listen next time I get a cc offer of some sort.

Comment

To activate a new card... automated.
                        To check my balance... automated.
                        If I try to use my card and it gets declined and I know the money is on there... Human.

Guess I have been lucky. All cards I have ever had, used an automated system to activate.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                          Love the response. And your blog is well written and will actually have some positive effect; I'm going to listen next time I get a cc offer of some sort.
                          Thank you! I really do appreciate that, especially after the day I had today.

Comment

Working...
                          X