X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Weird Ones from last night.

Not really sucky but weird

Do You EVEN know what city you are in?????

A "new" customer calls in for an order. The customer gives the CSR a street name that in unfamililiar to her so she askes a driver for help. Now this driver knows our delivery area as well as most of <my town>. The street name the cusomter give is also unfamiliar to him as well. Standard procedure is to ask the question "What are some of the nearest MAIN streets or main cross streets near you??" The customer starts to give him streest that do exist in our delivery area but the customer is prefacing them with North or East when said streets do not go in that direction.

The driver and the "customer" go round and round for literally 10 minutes with the customer insisting that "WE have delivered to them before." and "Can't you just put in my ZIP code to find my record." (which puzzled the driver)

IT turns out that the "customer" lives in a city that is about 60 miles southwest of <my town>. we are not really sure how they came upon my store's phone number. When you do a location search on my company's web site youi use the ZIP code as a search tool.

AND said town is not even in the same area code as the "customer"

Do You EVEN know what city you are in????? Part II

I get dispatched to a local hotel for a remake delivery. I get to the room and knock on the door. No answer. I wait and knock again. no answer.

No answer = go to the front desk for assistance. They call the room but still no answer. Fortuneately the CSR got a last name for the order. The desk clerk does not recognise the name being associated with the room.

I take the order back to the store.

{a bit of information is needed here}
    Now here is the really run part of taking orders and delivering to hotels, even in my smallish town. There are large chain hotels as well as small local and regional chains.. One of the problems in my town is there are several large chain hotels in the same chain in my town but only ONE of them is in our delivery area. our job is to determine which hotel the customer is at and direct them to the proper store.

One other problem is that there a local small chain that has only one property in my town but has properties in other surrounding larger towns.
    {end information}

A littel while later the "customer" calls in literally cursing up a storm (as in making a sailor blush) wondering where their remake pizza is. When they are told an attempt was indeed made to deliver it but on one was in the room, they get even more abusive. The customer is then asked if the are at the Highway Comet hotel. YES they are. And is this hotel accross from the world know football stadium and a K-Fart. NO.

Problem solved. They are staying at a property that is 30 miles south of <my town>.

sadly this is not the first time this situation has happened. It seems the owner of the property went the low cost route when printing their local food places guide. The placcard lists ALL of the food places in BOTH towns and my town's <my pizza place> is listed first.

about once every 6 months we get an order from the other property.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Quoth Racket_Man
    I think the second one definitely qualifies as sucky. Any time you undergo verbal abuse from a customer, especially when it turns out that customer is the one who wronged, it's without debate an SC. Had the SC not yelled at you over it and admitted his mistake, he'd be exonerated of charges, especially since he's in a presumably unfamiliar city, being in a hotel.

As for the first one, as soon as you find that you have to enter a different area code, it's time to double check just who you're calling to order pizza.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Yeah, really, I don't get the area code one....how could that NOT have been a huge red flag?

Oh, wait....SC's...stupid....yeah, it figures...
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post

Do You EVEN know what city you are in?????

IT turns out that the "customer" lives in a city that is about 60 miles southwest of <my town>. we are not really sure how they came upon my store's phone number. When you do a location search on my company's web site youi use the ZIP code as a search tool.

AND said town is not even in the same area code as the "customer"
        Not to excuse the customer's rude behavior, but I have found that, sometimes a Google search on my smartphone pulls up stores/restaurants/etc. from towns that are 30, 60, even 100 miles away...someone who wasn't paying attention might just tap the highlighted phone number to call, not realizing that they were calling a location in another town...plus, who knows how Siri decides which pizza place to call when you say, "Call Pizza Slut." The way Apple Maps works, I wouldn't be surprised to get connected to a pizza place across the country, lol

But, if I were to have this happen, I'd direct my annoyance towards the phone, NOT the innocent worker on the phone
        "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
        -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

While this has not happened to me in my six years at The Bar, I did have a few amusing phone calls when I worked at Corporate Chain Restaurant here in Key West. I should point out that the area code in Key West is the same as that of all the Keys, AND of parts of Miami.

Which may SLIGHTLY explain why a few calls I received asking for directions to Corporate Chain Restaurant originated from the Miami area! Though it usually took a bit of digging before we found that out. They'd ask for directions, we'd ask where they were coming from, and they'd say a street or area that was completely unfamiliar.

"Um, ma'am, where exactly ARE you?"

"I'm in Blah Blah Blah, on Blah Blah Street."
          "What city is that in?"
          "Duh, Miami!"
          "Ma'am, we're not actually IN Miami. We're about 150 miles southwest of you."

"Oh....OOOoooooohhhh....WHOOPS!"

Yeah. Whoops.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Yeah, really, I don't get the area code one....how could that NOT have been a huge red flag?
            If they're in the city of Toronto, the number they're calling from is in the 416 area code, and they're calling a number in the 647 area code - that's how it's NOT a huge red flag. Toronto ran out of 416 numbers, so 647 was brought in. Instead of splitting the area (like when GTA outside Toronto became 905), the code was overlaid, so either a 416 number or a 647 number can be anywhere in the city (or in the case of cellphones, physically located anywhere - some years back, I knew of a 416 number that was in California, because that was where I was with my cellphone).
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

in my area we can have 3 or more different area codes used for a phone number

1. our area code
              2. major city 2 hours south of us
              3. area code for the area west of us
              4. 2 (or it is 4 now) area codes for a MAJOR metro area 3 1/2 hours south of us
              5. area code for the south west part of my state.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                Cell phones.

I know lots of people down here, in the 305 area code, whose cell number is a different area code. Even if they've been down here for years. Often because they just don't want to change their number. Hell, I know that when I finally do move back to Phoenix (as I've been talking about for way too long), I have no plans of changing my cell phone number, so I'll be a 305 living in the 480.

Just saying.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Cell phones.

I know lots of people down here, in the 305 area code, whose cell number is a different area code. Even if they've been down here for years. Often because they just don't want to change their number. Hell, I know that when I finally do move back to Phoenix (as I've been talking about for way too long), I have no plans of changing my cell phone number, so I'll be a 305 living in the 480.

Just saying.
                  We have caller ID on out phones here at work, and private lines for each desk. Like most of us, my coworker won't answer his line if he doesn't recognize the ID. So one day, his phone starts ringing, and I happen to look over at him, staring at it, puzzled, and he says "Oregon? I don't know anyone in Oregon!" Ummm, yeah you do, that's our coworker that started working here over a year ago. He moved here from Oregon, remember? One of our other coworkers shows up as "Indiana" - he's been here three years We're in Maryland.
                  Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                  At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Working...
                  X