Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have mentioned my ex being confronted for her lack of a hall pass... at the middle school (12-14yo)... She was 42... with 6 kids...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

In college I took a class with some drama students. They would talk about how they would stage 'fights' in public places, or in store in front of cashiers, just to exercise their acting muscles I guess. because your amusement is a valid reason to make everyone around you uncomfortable, since they don't know it's false.

Maybe he was just trying to see how good his acting chops were.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Geeze, I would have had a hard time not laughing at him the moment he got all teary about it. And then I'm afraid I'd have started critiquing his acting ability. If I'm gonna be called mean, I might as well live up to it, don't you think?
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
          They would talk about how they would stage 'fights' in public places, or in store in front of cashiers, just to exercise their acting muscles I guess. because your amusement is a valid reason to make everyone around you uncomfortable, since they don't know it's false.
          I have to admit, I've done this.

No, I was never a drama student; I was a broadcast journalism major. However, I've always been a bit of an entertainer/clown/jackass/goofball, so it should come as no surprise that I've done a few oddball things like this.

The one that comes most quickly to mind is the fake "drug busts" my friend Cotton and I would do in high school. Wherein I, at 5'8" and 130 pounds at the time, and Cotton, 6'4" and I'm guessing 200 pounds at the time, would be walking down the hall between classes, and without warning, I would grab Cotton bodily and throw him up against the lockers, yelling something like "HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD!" Cotton, being in on the joke, would meekly comply. Which made for high comedy, especially in my relatively large high school (2,200 students) where not everyone knew us. Definitely raised an eyebrow or two.

What? We were teenagers! (NOT that I'm above such shenanigans now, mind you...)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

I was frequently mistaken for a high school student when I was in my 30's. This continued to happen until I started to get gray hairs in my beard.

Comment

Quoth dog_mu View Post
              I was frequently mistaken for a high school student when I was in my 30's. This continued to happen until I started to get gray hairs in my beard.
              , My baby brother never had a problem that way. He was naturally totally gray by the time he was 25. Started graying around 16 or 17.

Comment

How does that happen so early??
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I've been getting gray hairs since I was 6 (so has my sister). I'm 28, she's 20.

I have a bunch of grays (in my goatee I have a few, and on my temples I have more.) Not quite salt and pepper yet though, thank God.

As for how it happens? Yay stress and genetics! :P

Comment

I started graying in my teens. Right now I'm salt and pepper with more salt than pepper. Fortunately, my grays are more of a silvery-whitish color so they actually look kind of pretty against my dark hair. I like to joke that nature gave me a naturally frosted look.

As for the drama queen, hopefully he'll grow up soon and realize that people insisting that he follow the rules aren't being mean.
                    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

In my new town I've noticed that signs in stores say "cashiers are required to card anyone who appears to be under the age of 40". Honestly, it makes more sense than trying to guess whether someone is under 21. It allows for the chance that someone might have grey hair at 19.

Comment

Quoth Draco View Post
                        I have a bunch of grays (in my goatee I have a few, and on my temples I have more.) Not quite salt and pepper yet though, thank God.
                        Hair's still red auburn here at 44, but the beard . . . not so much. Some people get salt and pepper, I have to get salt and paprika. It just started going gray last year, and every time I get a haircut it gets grayer. Today I asked my father what he does, and he told me when he trims his beard he only cuts the white ones and leaves the dark ones long. I don't think I've got the patience for that.

(Had the beard since I was sixteen. Never got carded for anything. Shame I don't drink or smoke...)

ETA:
                        Quoth Teskeria View Post
                        , My baby brother never had a problem that way. He was naturally totally gray by the time he was 25. Started graying around 16 or 17.
                        My dad had a friend like that. Hair totally gray by 18, beard still bright red in his 50s.
                        Last edited by Shalom; 12-17-2012, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                          We carded a woman today when she was buying cigarettes, she already had her ID out and ready just in case. I'm not sure how old she was (I'm really bad at guessing age but I'd say maybe early to mid 30's?)

Her: *handing over card* Always have it just in case. Why? Do I look 18?
                          Me + Coworker: YUP! *accompanied by exuberant head nodding.*
                          Her: Thanks.

Wish they'd all be like that.
                          I usually have my ID ready. With me it's a catch-22. If I don't have it out, I'm not a regular and more importantly clean shaven, I always get "can I see some ID?" If I do have it out, ready and willing to show, I get "oh you look old enough" with a toss up of being shaven or not; unshaven moreso. It's almost like a little bluffing/guessing/power struggle game. When I don't shave the guy at the cigar shop calls me old man because I have salt and pepper on my chin in my trimmed beard. When I shave I look like I just got out of high school and I graduated going on 18 yrs ( @ grad. 18 yrs ago), when I don't people say I look like a different person.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                            Genetics. My brother and I both started greying in our teens, as did Dad.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                              Grey Tabby ancestry.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

There are only a few places in the U.S. where you aren't severly handicapped not driving, Frisco, Chicago, Noo Yawk and Baastan. come to mind.

Growing up in the sprawl of CA, you learn do drive as soon as you can. You get a car, no matter how beat up it is, if it runs and is what you can afford, you get it. Otherwise, your mobility is severly limited. I am always freaked out at people who make it well into adulthood without driving. I wonder "Are they Amish?", "Are they epileptic?", "Are they legally blind?".

Comment

Working...
                                X