This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Christmas Ruined

We’re taking a few Christmas party bookings at the moment, however we do have some terms and conditions. One is that we only have one party at a time, as we don’t want the entire pub being covered in “RESERVED” signs for people who may or may not show up. The other is that we do not have any bookings next weekend, as next Friday is Black Friday

SC arrives.

SC: I would like to book some tables for a Christmas party. I have about 20 people coming.
    Me: When would you like it?

I pull out our Christmas booking diary.

SC: Thursday at 6pm.
    Me: Oh dear. I am afraid we are already fully booked at that time.
    SC: What do you mean?
    Me: I mean we are fully booked at that time.

What did she expect me to say? She leaned over.

SC: It says booking for 20. Surely you can squeeze my group in too?
    Me: I’m sorry but we can’t accommodate two parties of 20 people at the same time. I could do you something a little earlier?
    SC: What do you mean “can’t accommodate”?? That’ ridiculous! Are you afraid of working too hard or something???

I just raised my eyebrows at her.

SC: I’m going to have to make some calls!

She went away and spoke on her phone. I carried on serving for about ten minutes. She returned.

SC: We can do next Friday! And don’t tell me you’re booked! I saw in your diary you aren’t!

Black Friday. The busiest day in the pub world. It will be packed from the minute we open, so no opportunity to sort out bookings.

Me: *big smile* Let me just go grab a manager!

I was not facing the tirade that was bound to come. I refused. I explained to the manager what was going on and she groaned. I walked down the bar. A few seconds later…

SC: WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU WON’T TAKE MY BOOKING???
    M: Ma’am, please lower your voice. We cannot take any bookings next weekend as it will be the busiest weekend of the year. We will not have the capacity to put your booking together.
    SC: Well what if we just show up anyway?? Then what will you do??
    M: You’re quite welcome to do that, but I can guarantee that your party will not be able to sit together.
    SC: My party will sit together! I will make sure your staff sort it!
    M: That will not happen.
    SC: You’re turning away 20 people! Can you really afford to do that??
    M: I don’t know how else to put this, but we actually can.

I leaned over to co-worker.

Me: Want a bet? A pint says she screams “You’ve ruined Christmas!”
    CW: You’re on.

M: Why don’t we go through our bookings diary together? Maybe we can find a compromise.
    SC: It’s too late for that! You’ve ruined the party!

She left.

CW: Ooooh. So close! You owe me a drink!

Enjoy your drink...lol.

Comment

Ahhhhh, the joy of a ruined Christmas. I love the sound of an EW saying that in the morning. It warms my lump of coal for a heart.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
        It warms my lump of coal for a heart.
        Thus showing you are indeed a carbon based lifeform.

Also note that if your heart was made of diamond you would be hard-hearted.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

*hangs head in shame* i havent ruined anyones christmas...that lady was awful...glad she left

Comment

Before any Americans ask, Black Friday in the UK refers to a different day than Black Friday in the US.

The last Friday before Christmas everyone goes out drinking after work and considering for most people they will not be opening on Christmas Eve (Monday) they would have finished for Christmas, so it means every town centre will be full to bursting.

For those interested, our busiest shopping day is the day after, the Saturday right before Christmas, we don't have a cute family friendly name for it, we just refer to it as "Fuck it's busy"

Comment

Quoth energyguy View Post
              Before any Americans ask, Black Friday in the UK refers to a different day than Black Friday in the US.

The last Friday before Christmas everyone goes out drinking after work and considering for most people they will not be opening on Christmas Eve (Monday) they would have finished for Christmas, so it means every town centre will be full to bursting.

For those interested, our busiest shopping day is the day after, the Saturday right before Christmas, we don't have a cute family friendly name for it, we just refer to it as "Fuck it's busy"
              Haha well at least we don't have the horror of last year in which we got TWO Black Fridays. We got one as the schools finished on the 16th, and then we got another on the 23rd!

Comment

I love these nitwits that claim that, because of poor planning or oversights on their party, YOU'VE ruined THEIR Christmas.

A difficult time booking a Christmas party does not "ruin Christmas."

A death in the family ruins Christmas.
                A house fire ruins Christmas.
                A tragedy like yesterday's in Connecticut ruins Christmas.

Not getting to have your Christmas party at the pub you want? An inconvenience, you thoughtless cow.

These people seriously lack perspective.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post

Also note that if your heart was made of diamond you would be hard-hearted.
                  Perhaps, but a diamond heart would make a terrific semi-conductor
                  Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post
                    OMGWTFBBQ! You're leading an entire parking lot of trucker steeds in a stirring rendition of "Classical Gas Diesel"...

"Excuse me. Peterbilts(ONS)? The score says pianissimo on the air horns."
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Out of curiosity, do y'all (People in the UK) have as many idiots sure that the worlds is going to end on the 21st as we do (or at least as many media idiots touting it all over)? Because that should make your Black Friday all the more fun The added people going out drinking because of 21/12/12 (adjusted for your sensibilities) should be fun!

I mean, I know I'm going out drinking that day, admittedly it's a friend's birthday party (I know they didn't think it through), as well as the start of a long weekend.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        I love these nitwits that claim that, because of poor planning or oversights on their party, YOU'VE ruined THEIR Christmas.

Not getting to have your Christmas party at the pub you want? An inconvenience, you thoughtless cow.

These people seriously lack perspective.
                        Not to mention common sense. How is it this person doesn't already know that Black Friday is the busiest day of the year for pubs?? And why on earth are they planning a Christmas party barely two weeks before Christmas? It's not like Christmas snuck up on them unexpectedly.

My place of work has opted for an after-Christmas party -- close enough to Christmas that the holiday temps can still attend, but after The Day because otherwise there's a good chance a lot of people will be too busy to attend.

Comment

I actually had the option of attending a party on the 1st of December! Now that's how you beat the rush Sadly I was working...
                          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                            Me: Want a bet? A pint says she screams “You’ve ruined Christmas!”
                            CW: You’re on.
                            SC: It’s too late for that! You’ve ruined the party!
                            CW: Ooooh. So close!
                            Figures. The one time an EW could actually do you a good turn by acting naturally, they have to ruin a free drink. Sorry CRML.

Quoth energyguy View Post
                            the Saturday right before Christmas, we don't have a cute family friendly name for it, we just refer to it as "Fuck it's busy"
                            Darn! F.I.B. is already taken here in Cheeseland, but I really like this better than Black Friday or DAT.

Quoth Talon View Post
                            And the shovel belonging to the fraternal order is an intermittent barrier to electricity.

(ɹoʇɐןnsuı-ısɐnb ɐ sı ǝpɐds qnןɔ ǝɥʇ)

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

Cyclone Tracy REALLY ruined Christmas.

(Flattened Darwin on Christmas Eve. In the night.)
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X