Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's why you need to remember that not everywhere has "tap" ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's why you need to remember that not everywhere has "tap" ...

This guy wasn't sucky; in fact he was downright cheery -- and more than a little apologetic.

Two guys come up with a big rolled-up carpet on a buggy. I ring it in . Guy says hang on, it's on sale for [approximately half the price my register is showing]. He runs off to get the sticker on the shelf to show me.

Finally gets back and ... the bargain price is for a much smaller version of the carpet. Guy shrugs, says oh well, he'll buy it anyway.

So I ring it in. And he taps his card. And I say, "Oh, I'm sorry, we don't have tap."

Aaaaand this is when we all find out ... he can't remember his PIN for his card.

First he starts flipping madly through photos on his phone, because he's sure he took a photo of the PIN number.

That doesn't work, so he calls home and gets his Significant Other to ransack his dresser, his desk, and Bastet knows what else to find the little piece of paper with his PIN on it.

He's apologizing profusely to me all the while, and I'm just saying, "Not a problem, sir."

Even though suddenly everybody who's been in the store for the past three hours decides to check out RIGHT NOW and I'm the only cashier left up front...

I move to another register which the Head Cashier had been using. I don't bother closing her out and signing myself in; I just start madly ringing other people out. I must've gone through six, seven, eight (who knows by then ...) other customers before the guy sheepishly comes back and decides to use some other card whose PIN number he DOES remember.

Yeah, he could've done that a lot earlier, and saved us both some aggro, but as I said, he was both amiable and apologetic about it, so I really couldn't find it in my heart to stick him in the Sucky Customer thread.

I did mention in passing that my PIN numbers are based on the letters on each key ... cats' names, relatives' names, and so on, with perhaps their year of birth or approximate age to add some numerals to it ... because it helps me remember them ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    I did mention in passing that my PIN numbers are based on the letters on each key ... cats' names, relatives' names, and so on, with perhaps their year of birth or approximate age to add some numerals to it ... because it helps me remember them ...
    I used to use made up names and numbers on my phone, just use the last four numbers of your made up contact as the PIN on your card. Remember to use proper area codes and you're sorted
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

I'm glad this will never happen to me... because my card sometimes has a random "f u human' and I have to enter it anyway

Comment

Working...
      X