Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sightings

One-way aisles; one entrance; one exit
Old 05-10-2020, 04:24 PM
Chairman of the Board

Default One-way aisles; one entrance; one exit

So now, certain stores have implemented one-way aisles, meaning you can only enter them from a certain end. If you want paper towels, you enter that aisle from near the entrance; you have to instead go down the soup aisle, go to the end, then enter the paper towel aisle near the back of the store.

I at first had a hard time following this policy being for years, I and everyone else shop the normal way and enter from wherever I am. This is a pretty clever idea someone came up with as it was meant to cut down on the number people on any given aisle, and to have people do their social distancing.

Unfortunately, we have "entitled" people who don't feel as if they need to follow these rules. Yesterday, I was in a Publix, there was a cart with paper towels on it. One woman saw this, and started texting someone about it. Where did she stop at? Right next to the cart, which means she was blocking the entire aisle! To be polite, I waited a full minute thinking she would send a quick message, then move on. Nope, she was writing a freaking novel, and I finally said "excuse me!", to which she nearly jumped out of her shoes with some annoyance! Yep, I was being rude to her because I wanted to get down the aisle and get what I needed. Never mind that she was creating a roadblock.

To keep the stores safe, they also have implemented one entrance and one exit instead of entering wherever you wanted. Yet, they still have people coming and going where they want, even when managers remind these customers. And of course, those are the same customers without a face mask, and who stand close to you, even though the signs are there as well as the places on the floor showing six foot intervals.

These are some of the reasons why Covid 19 is not going away anytime soon, because people like this won't follow the rules.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:50 AM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

"Excuse me" isn't rude. You could have said "Make a hole!"

Old 05-11-2020, 10:28 AM
Ex-Puncher of Tickets

"You know, if you shifted just a little bit to one side, you'd block the entire aisle/sidewalk/alley so much better."

Old 05-11-2020, 05:20 PM
RVT

Also - you make a better door than a window!

Old 05-14-2020, 02:43 AM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
"You know, if you shifted just a little bit to one side, you'd block the entire aisle/sidewalk/alley so much better."
This is definitely my favourite.

My store has those arrows and most people follow them ... but yeah, not all. I have to confess, with considerable embarrassment, that occasionally I find myself (when doing personal shopping) wandering absent-mindedly the wrong way down an aisle.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:31 AM
Philosophical Tomato

I caught myself doing that the one day the arrows had been removed for floor cleaning; in my defense, I forgot one item and only saw the dirt outline of the arrow when I turned back around. The arrows really should be placed up above on the aisle signs as well.

When this started, mom made fun of me for actually making a list by aisle and only shopping at stores that I already knew the layout of...when word came down that stores were enacting one-way aisles she looked at me and goes "Damn, I guess you were right after all".

Old 05-14-2020, 01:34 PM
Heavy Metal Admin

Quote:
Quoth Pixelated View Post
I have to confess, with considerable embarrassment, that occasionally I find myself (when doing personal shopping) wandering absent-mindedly the wrong way down an aisle.
I've done the same. It's easy to forget, since they have the arrows the opposite way I've been traversing the aisles for years. Plus the way they have the arrows doesn't always make a lot of sense. It seem like half the time I follow the arrows to the next area I need to be in, and the next set of arrows is pointing the opposite way I need to go.

Not all of the stores have them, though. The smaller store across the street from the one I usually go to doesn't have them. They do have a designated entrance and exit so they can keep count of how many people are going in and out, which I believe is required.

EDIT: I just found an article saying that the store where I normally shop is getting rid of the arrows.
Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Last edited by MadMike; 05-14-2020 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Update

Old 05-14-2020, 05:19 PM
Escapee

None of the stores here that I've shopped had one way aisles. Honestly I have my doubts of the usefulness of such a practice but putting that aside, you'd really need employees at the end of every aisle to enforce it. Around here yes a lot of people are really doing well, following guidelines and all. However, here's a significant chunk of the population who know the rules, not just store guidelines but actual state mandates, and straight up said "make me."

Old 05-15-2020, 02:44 AM
Bookkeeper

When I was at Walmart this evening, observance of one way aisles was a bit mixed, but people were doing nicely at giving each other space. Mask usage was somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the shoppers, and I do not recall noticing an unmasked employee.

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77