Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Old 06-06-2020, 12:01 AM
Philosophical Tomato

There was a virtual "information session" today targeted toward reopening the restaurants; I signed on and lurked to see what they had come up with. Gave lip service to the retail team at the end...as a CW texted me at the time "Why the f is he congratulating D3 and O? Those clowns don't do shit compared to us."

If I can catch my manager when we go shopping tomorrow I'm going to ask him point-blank about the ending of PPP and unemployment if we're not brought back next week. I can't imagine they like doing our jobs.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:02 AM
Store Manager

It's depressing if I allow myself to dwell on it. Maddening, as well.
The county is starting to relax things, so... "We doesn't need no MASKS!" aaand now, one of the Wallyworlds down the road a bit has several politive cases amongst the workers, and rising. Nope, can't shut down, as this place serves many thousand people. Can't require masks, can't, can't, can't... can't help but to spread it.

Did do the throat clearing and point to mask with one guy who had his pulled down. "It gets hot". Yeah, and it fogs up glasses too. "huh. yeah." he got the hint. Just one out of freaking swarms, sadly.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:01 AM
I need a life

I went back to work at the decor store today and it was everything I thought it would be as far as a liquidation in the middle of a pandemic. So we have been furloughed for 2 months and now we jump back in to a going-out-of-business sale. I couldn't work yesterday which was the first day and I'm glad; coworker said the line was wrapped. We had signs up saying bathrooms were for employees only and Assistant Manager had to clean up the men's room because some dude left a mess. Today the girls put a huge ladder with signs in front of the open doorway that goes to the little hall with the restrooms. We have the barriers and hand sanitizer and I was wearing a homemade mask. It's not required in our state so this older woman--who, according to our temp. manager is a pain that she's dealt with at her home store--was all up in my space. In fact, she wasn't on the customer side of the counter behind the barrier but right next to me because her stuff had been piled up at the side and it was a lot of stuff. Whatever, I just rang the bulky items from there. She was half a foot from me supervising the prices on my computer screen and I was uncomfortable but wanted to just get her out so I didn't say anything. I should have because customers should not be inches from a cash drawer. She handed me an envelope full of cash and I was so confused until she got through to me that she'd written her rewards codes on it. Ohhhhhhh. Good grief, I even had to tell her to go over there on the other side by the card reader to you know, use her card. And then she almost left the cash envelope behind. She admitted her husband was going to be annoyed by her spending and yet even with the discounts it was over $1,000.00 on decor. I think I'm OK with coming in on a weeknight for two hours to close (we close earlier now) but Saturdays are going to drive me to quit. I might be OK financially if I do so we'll see how Thursday goes.

Oh, and I keep remembering stuff: A) customer got mad at coworker today for touching her fake plants. How do you ring something up without touching it?? B) sucktomer literally tapping her fingers on the counter because I was wrapping up the glass tabletop for the lady in front of her, and she was buying a table runner. Ignored her because I admit I have a bias against non-masked people. She was not wearing one and table lady was. I know; it's wrong but I feel how I feel.

Last edited by Food Lady; 06-07-2020 at 03:47 AM.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:53 PM
Store Manager

It's wrong to be biased against people who disregard your health? (and the health of everyone they meet)
This is new to me. I... think I'm just going to stick with this bias, no matter how 'wrong' it may be deemed.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:04 PM
I need a life

Quote:
Quoth Buzzard View Post
It's wrong to be biased against people who disregard your health? (and the health of everyone they meet)
This is new to me. I... think I'm just going to stick with this bias, no matter how 'wrong' it may be deemed.
Just in a larger sense in light of "love your enemies"--according to my own belief system. That's not a feeling; it's a decision, so I could've told her I'd be with her as soon as I could but I didn't do that. I failed to treat everyone with the same level of customer service despite my feelings. I did treat a lot of un-masked people nicely so I could have done so for her. Anyway, I'm not entirely sure masks help at all and they're not required here but I'm doing it because I think I tend to be an asymptomatic carrier. Everyone around me gets sick and I never do, or never have symptoms.

Last edited by Food Lady; 06-07-2020 at 09:07 PM.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:30 AM
Escapee

Even though we moved to phase two here, the last time I shopped I'd say the majority of shoppers had on masks, at least at that store, at that time. It varies so much. There were a few people so obnoxious though. Individual people not wearing masks don't bother me too much. I'd like everyone to do it, not because I think it's the only way to stop the spread, but because it likely helps at least to a small degree and it's a really easy thing to do. Anyway, when I see a person just shopping like a normal person without a mask, okay, whatever.

What gets me are the teens and college kids moving in packs through stores. The soccer moms chatting and slowly strolling through the aisles without a care in the world. The employees with their masks pulled down having casual conversations with each other while picking curbside orders. (blocking whole aisles and moving like a snail but that's a different rant) What gets me are the people who decide they need to make some sort of POINT by acting like the world is normal. Very childlike "you can't make me" attitudes.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:56 AM
The Hero CS Deserves

Ya know, the whole thing where NPCs say "Who was that masked man?" as a good thing from shows like Lone Ranger and Zorro makes more and more sense these days

"Sexual intellectuals. They're f@%#ing know-it-alls" - Chuck Yeager
"Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

Old 06-08-2020, 07:45 AM
I need a life

Quote:
Quoth notalwaysright View Post
What gets me are the people who decide they need to make some sort of POINT by acting like the world is normal.
Is that what it is? I hadn't thought of that. Well, I still might quit. I need money, but not that badly.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:48 PM
Make the stupid stop!!!!

First day of indoor dining in restaurants today here in Minnesota. 50% of capacity "allowed". I'm ready to go. No masks required, nor would I ever do so. Heck, I'd rather people do not wear them, because I hear them better without them on. Also, seeing people wear them brings me back to when I was robbed here at work last year, and in the back of the mind that seed is there that they might rob me.

Ready to rock and roll.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:12 PM
Asura Mesmer

Good luck! I hope everything goes smoothly.