This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cashier was kinda rude

I was out at Staples tonight to pick up a couple reams of paper.

I looked at the prices, decided to just go with the multipurpose paper, bright white, made with recycled content because it was nice paper it was $7.99 a ream according to the shelf tag, while the other paper out was $8.49 a ream.

I get to the register and the reams ring up at $8.49 each. I point out the error to the cashier who gives me a blank look and then this ensues:

Cashier: ... Uh, this paper is bright white! (yes, his emphasis)

Me: Yes, it is bright white and the price was $7.99 on the shelf.

C: Bright white! <waves a ream in the air like he just don't care>

Me: Um, yes, that is correct. And it is supposed to be $7.99 per ream, at least that's what the shelf tag says.

C: But this is bright white paper. <looks at me like I'm an idiot>

Me: <returning the look> Yes, multipurpose bright white paper, 50 % recycled content, and the shelf tag says $7.99. I'll walk over and double check in case I was mistaken.

<I walk 30 ft, read the tag, and verify that I was, in fact, correct.>

Me: The tag definitely says $7.99, for that type of paper.

C: *insert snotty tone* Well, I'll go over and check it, but this is bright white paper.

Me: Yeah, I got that.

<Cashier walks over, checks, rubs at the tag. Reads it again. He tugs at the tag. Stares at it a bit, finally walks back over to the register.>

C: Well, it looks like that price was put out in error. But, its only a $1.00. <stares back at me without touching the keyboard or marking down my purchase.>

Me: So, you're going to discount it, right?

C: It's only $1.00!

Me: Yes, but it is my dollar, plus tax, which I don't feel I should spend since your staff had the wrong price posted.

C: It's only $1.00 more and this is bright white paper.

Me: Fine, I'll call my corporate Staples rep in the morning and see what kind of price she can get me on a special order.

C: What? Fine, fine, fine! <furiously starts punching keys> There! It's discounted. Happy?

Me: Not with your attitude. Page your supervisor, please. <in the meantime I pay, since I really wanted to print up some stuff tonight. Like tax returns.>

C: You got your discount, you don't need a supervisor.

In the meantime, H, the girl from electronics wanders over. She and I went to high school together and worked at the grocery store with each other for a while, so she offers to call the manager. I lodged my complaint about the cashier's attitude. To which the manager said "Yeah, he's like that." then turned and walked away. Leaving me looking at his back going

So, I guess I'll call my corporate Staples rep tomorrow and let them know we're really disappointed with the local store (except for H, of course.) Y'know, the store where we send our staff to shop for last minute items, especially on weekends because our presenters have impressively poor planning. We spend $50K plus with Staples each year. Not a ginormous account for them, but significant.

And yes, I realize it was only $1.00, but the dude's attitude pissed me off, which makes me ornery and stubborn.

Quoth Gerrinson
    Exactly. So why is it so difficult for him to fix the error on the store's part and knock off $1.00? If it was grossly mislabelled, like $0.80 instead of $8.00, then I can see not selling it, but if it's a small adjustment, and that's what the label clearly said, then just sell it already! Even if for some crazy reason he couldn't, that's still no reason to cop an attitude.

And if management knows it's a chronic issue and is turning a blind eye, that's not ok, either.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

My blood pressure is rising just reading this. Grrr.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

That cashier has no business working in customer service, and that manager should be lashed several times for just saying "He's like that".....wow, really, that's all you can say about that?
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Wow.... that's going to be fun if he and his manager ever get caught by corporate. I couldn't imagine ever talking to a customer like that without being fired.
          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
            Fine, cashier. You pay it. Oh, you wouldn't? Neither will I.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Kinda is putting it lightly. It's even worse that the manager was so accepting of his behavior. There's a cashier like this where I work and management and customers regularly have something to say to or about him but nothing ever gets done (he was even employee of the month a few months ago!)

Comment

i agree, the cashier and manager were unprofessional and need more than just a bit of retraining there. a mistake is a mistake, but to make such a pissy deal out of it like the cashier did is ridiculous.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I think we're all missingt he point.

It was bright white paper.
                  Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

Maybe " Undercover Boss " needs to visit that store!

Comment

Oh boy. I would be FIRED if I ever talked to anybody like that. I can't wait for an update after you tell corporate.

Comment

He wasn't "kinda rude", he was very rude! And that manager was a jerk to turn a blind eye to it. I guess it's the Beloved Asshole syndrome again; how rotten workers get to keep their jobs doing stuff that would get anyone else fired.

You did exactly the right thing, taking it first to the manager, then to corporate. I hope you hear from them.
                        Last edited by XCashier; 03-23-2011, 01:33 AM.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

We have a corporate account, so the account lead was quite apologetic. She offered to send me a couple reams of free paper, but I seriously don't need it and I'm not going to dragging the company into what is essentially a personal complaint.

But, I know my complaint will be sent to the right person because she meet's with the regional manager for our area on a regular basis. She promised to bring up the issue with the local store treating customers and customer complaints in that manner.

Vengeance is mine! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Er, good customer service shall be forthcoming?

Comment

Working...
                          X