This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaptainJillian vs. Target

Ok so I had a baby shower last week and was registered at Target. I got a few duplicate items, as well as some relatives sent stuff straight from target.com to my house that I had already received. So I needed to return/exchange a few things today. (two of the items arrived broken.)

So I went to my local Target and had the packing slips for the online broken things and gift receipts for all but two other items, but they were all on my registry. I make neat little stacks of the exchange vs. return stuff and made sure the appropriate receipts/slips were all together. The lady looked overwhelmed already. She picked up the first item and scanned it and said "nothing is coming up." After she tries a few things, I went over and printed my registry from the kiosk to help her out. She then looks at my registry, sees that the item is fulfilled, looks at the product, then says to me "well how do I even know this came from us?"

I bit my tongue and showed her, for the third time, the packing slip in her hand from target.com that had the exact item listed and showed the order date as the 26th and everything. It still wouldn't work. So she says she can return some things if I have my DL, which I do. She returns four things this way. That's fine by me. All I wanted was store credit so I could get different baby things.

Then she attempts to return one of the items I was trying to exchange and says that I will get $4.98 for it. I forgot it was an exchange and asked her why it was only $4.98 when it was purchased on Saturday the 26th for $24.99 and was not on sale then or now, less than a week later. She said it was some policy about lowest price. Then I remembered it was an exchange because I actually want the item, just one that works, so I stopped her from giving me the $4.98. But then she couldn't exchange it because they didn't have any of them.

The last online item was a hamper that matched my bedding that fell apart the second we opened it, lol. So I wanted to try and exchange it and if that was too problematic, then just return it and pick a different hamper. She looked at it and said "that isn't one of our products." While holding not only my registry that had it listed but the slip as well. At this point, I have had enough and tell her I'll deal with it through the online system. She then tries to throw away my packing slips and hands me a gift-card with the amount from the other things and says "well we did the best we could!"

She was so rude throughout the whole thing and her coworker, who actually seemed to know what the heck she was doing, kept trying to help only to be waved away by this lady who kept calling her "my helper." I should have gotten a manager but I just was so over it by then that I wanted to leave. What is the point of registering somewhere if they make it impossible to return things or make you feel like a thief for trying to return things? I didn't even want cash back or any other scam-type thing, I just wanted to have store credit.

Here is the best part. I just got home and checked the website and found where I can print a receipt for the broken hamper and other broken thing and return them to a Target store. Would have been nice if the customer service lady knew that and could have done it in store!!!
    We ask ourselves when we get in a fix, what would Popeye do in a tight spot like this? He'd race for his true love and easily win it, in an old spinach can with a mast stuck in it. -Jimmy Buffett

Having survived 18 months at the Target returns desk before fleeing for my sanity...

Yeah, there's a LOT of stuff that's 'online only' that the store computers won't recognize without the receipt, so target.com returns can get annoying fast if there's no proper receipt. However, that's NO reason for the attitude. Since you had a registry and packing slips, just about the first question out of her mouth should have been whether you had the receipts as well! Most people don't KNOW you need the receipt as well as the packing slip! AND it can be printed right from the registry kiosk at Target, too. (Assuming, of course, that they're working--generally only one of the three in our local store is at any given time.)

*sigh* I haven't worked in a Target store in three years, and it STILL irritates me when I see someone that incompetent abusing customers like that. That should not have been a difficult transaction (though possibly tedious one, depending on how much of your stuff was online-only).
    It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Before my baby shower this was my biggest fear. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about Babys r us and Target with returns/exchanges so I just hoped that I wouldn't have any duplicates. Of course that didn't happen, so I found all the gift receipts/packing slips/registries and anything else I could possibly think of, laid them out on the returns desk with the product and braced myself. But at both places they didn't even ask for a receipt. Just scanned the product, typed something, and handed me a gift card! I was so shocked at how easy it was the employee asked me if I was ok .

The returns lady sounds like she was on a power trip and thinking that she wasn't going to let you get away with anything! Reminds me of one of my old cws...Nothing got past on her watch!
      Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
        Having survived 18 months at the Target returns desk before fleeing for my sanity...

Yeah, there's a LOT of stuff that's 'online only' that the store computers won't recognize without the receipt, so target.com returns can get annoying fast if there's no proper receipt. However, that's NO reason for the attitude. Since you had a registry and packing slips, just about the first question out of her mouth should have been whether you had the receipts as well! Most people don't KNOW you need the receipt as well as the packing slip! AND it can be printed right from the registry kiosk at Target, too. (Assuming, of course, that they're working--generally only one of the three in our local store is at any given time.)
        Yeah I drove all the way home, called customer service, and found out I could have printed it in the kiosk at the store if she had told me. So I printed them at home and lugged the rest of the stuff back with the newly printed receipts. The power-trip lady was gone and the same girl from earlier was there and she profusely apologized about the other lady and had no problem returning the rest. Happy Ending!
        We ask ourselves when we get in a fix, what would Popeye do in a tight spot like this? He'd race for his true love and easily win it, in an old spinach can with a mast stuck in it. -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Sometimes it's all about getting the right--or the wrong---person when trying to make a return.

At least you got a happy ending.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
          X