This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Rubbernecking Jerks

I'm involved in a group that does re-enactments. We have a nice camp with woods and a big field. However, a main road for the area goes right past. Soooo, when we're deep in character performing an epic saga in the field, we get cars that sllloowwwww down as they drive by and honk and yell abusive comments at us. Every day. Dozens and dozens of cars. I don't know what they think they're accomplishing, but it really kills the mood. Is it bad whistful thinking to hope that while they're so busy harassing us that they'll miss that next curve? If they're so curious about us, they could easily pull into the parking lot and ask us what we're all about and we'd be glad to talk to them.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

If it is private property. See if you can get everyone to chip in and put up a privacy fence.

People are jerks. I understand slowing down, I would but that is because I think it is cool. Comments are not needed.

Sockpuppet

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
      If they're so curious about us, they could easily pull into the parking lot and ask us what we're all about and we'd be glad to talk to them.
      In a perfect world, yes. Unfortunately, some people find it easier to mock the hell outta something they don't understand rather than just ask questions. They think it makes 'em look cool.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Me, I would stop and want to take pictures of it. Especially if it is something unusual like SCA or a group that does Romans or Greeks or something.

Comment

Every year our little town fills up with people dressed in Old West gear who've come for End of Trail but nobody ever harrasses them.

Maybe it's because they have real guns with real bullets

I'm a member
          "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Aw, I wish I could have seen what you guys were doing it... Was it SCA, or general LARPing?

Freddie, why am I not surprised that you're a member?
            Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
              Me, I would stop and want to take pictures of it. Especially if it is something unusual like SCA or a group that does Romans or Greeks or something.
              I'd be right along with you, we could sit on the hood of the jeep I found that helps, then again I'm short.
              I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

This is the reason why I am so glad I don't camp on Hill Road at Pennsic. All the stupid truckers laying on their horn for whatever reason. I pity the poor people who do camp there. I don't know how they get any peace.

Comment

It is a LARP. But we rent the campsite, so nothing we can do about fencing it in. It's just...inconsiderate. Like if you saw a family enjoying their front yard and laid on the horn and yelled at them. It's pointless. We do get random people who just start walking through on a hike or on atvs, and they get mighty upset and high-and-mighty when we inform them it's private property that's been rented for the weekend. Once, we had someone call the police because they just saw people in weird costumes and the police wanted to make sure it wasn't some group that had broken into the camp. When they found out we were the renters, they called every other office on shift to come check-out our costumes and watch our battles. Some took pictures. The neighbors must have freaked seeing the steady flow of police cruisers!
                  "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Some guy at our medieval fair last year kept harassing our photographer while she was taking photos for the group (She was part OF our group). So now we have two new rules for the fight:

1) Anyone taking photos or videos is required to be within the ring. The setup was two rings-an outer ring as a safety measure and the inner ring where the fighting was actually done. Our photographers used to be in the outer ring.
                    2) If any photographers or the like are harassed during our time on the field, the fight is immediately halted.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I used to go to a boffer LARP which had a great sight where all of the open areas where bordered by trees, never by roads, so some one had to specifically be on the camp site to see us (even the road that leads up to the main area was fairly well cut off from the green by buildings).

The one problem there?

Hunters.

Seriously, being out in the woods, running about, having a great time, and then seeing some dude with a shotgun/rifle? Kinda worrying.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                        I don't know what they think they're accomplishing, but it really kills the mood.
                        Hey, LillFilly, do you suspect you could get the staff to sign on for buying a couple of cheap boom boxes (they still make those, right? right?) with REALLY STRONG SPEAKERS to load up with background music? Just before battle, a few runners could carry them over to the roadward edge of the field, stake the 'boxes and speakers down pointing back toward the battle, and set them all off a-blaring.

Depending on the makeup of the respective armies, bagpipe music could work very nicely, or Sonic Legends has a variety of tracks that are meant to loop on themselves seamlessly. (I picked up a bunch at DriveThruRPG.)

And just imagine the expression on the rubberneckers' faces when it's obvious that none of you even notice their stupid horns!

Comment

Quoth thansal View Post
                          Seriously, being out in the woods, running about, having a great time, and then seeing some dude with a shotgun/rifle? Kinda worrying.
                          Ohh, yeah. Even though one of our old sites was one of the member's private property, you still had people wander in. And one of our players was a Bull-Kin (Like a Minataur). He had a shaggy fur costume and huge horns. We REALLY advised that he stay out of the woods during hunting season! The Wolf-Kin too (masks and fur looked Coyoteish!)

I don't know if music would work; nothing is pre-programed really. But mood music in the background, like minstrals would be nice. I'll suggest it.

Comment

Working...
                          X