Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe you should watch your kid if he is afraid.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe you should watch your kid if he is afraid.

So I think I might start with some background.
    I've been doing a lot of training with my dog lately, she spent the first part of her life in a cage so is still spooked new by things but has gotten much better this year. When she is with me and people are around she is kept on a shorter leash so in case she tries to run away if she gets scared, and honestly because its polite, I don't want anyone tripping over my dog and you never know if someone is scared of dogs.

Anyway moving on.

She needed a new harness since the one she has is cheap and twists too easily so I went shopping, and Lucy the wonder moose went with me since all the pet stores allow dogs in, and it's more training for her.

We are shopping she is kept on a short leash since not only is it how I like her, but behind us is the toys, and I'm always afraid she might try to take one. I can hear a kid running up and down the aisles yelling, so I make sure she is close to me since he sounds like he is headed our way and I look up just as he rounds the corner to where we are. He stops dead and screams, then yells "Dad a dog!!!!" At this point Lucy has already moved behind me since she is scared of him, and his jacket over he is holding over his head is making him scarier. So I step between them so he can't see her and calmly ask if he is afraid of dogs, he nods and I say it's ok, she is scared of you too, so she won't come out from hiding. He watches her and tells me she is shaking, since at this point she is peeking out from behind me and she really is shaking hard and leaning against me as much as she can.

At this point a large man runs up and starts screaming at me for scaring his kid with my dog. I can't even tell what the guy is really saying but that was what I could catch. I can feel Lucy try to run away and I hold her still and look up at him and in what my friend's call the trainer voice. I say "HEY ENOUGH", and he stops and stares at me. " Sir, I walked right past you with my dog, if you son was afraid, you shouldn't have let him run around a store that says "dogs welcome" when you know there is a dog in the store. He starts to yell at me about how his kid can run around all he wants, I shouldn't have taken my dog into a store with a kid afraid of dogs. Once again, I use my trainer voice and say "ENOUGH, Sir, my dog is trained to behave with people around, I KNOW people are afraid of dogs, actually I've found she does very well with people who are nervous with dogs, as you can see." As I'm saying this, his son is crouched down next to him saying "Hi doggie, hi pretty doggie", to Lucy who is laying on the floor behind me peeking out now feeling a little calmer herself.

He keeps trying to yell at me and I keep cutting him off, I can do this all day, Lucy has been working on dealing with loud noises anyway. Finally an employee comes over and he takes his anger out on them. He gets told to leave because he is scaring other customers, and he leaves the store yelling about how poorly they treat families with kids afraid of dogs. He is out the door by the time his son stands up. The little boy waves at both of us then stops and tentatively offers at hand to Lucy who touches it with her tongue before he runs after his father who, from the looks of it was already at the car. Shopping was uneventful after that, other then people telling me how well behaved my dog was.

I feel bad for the kid, he might not be as afraid if his Dad watched him and stayed calm when they met a dog. For him to calm down then be ok with my dog really says something about how he could be with other dogs, but like I said I've had people who are afraid of dogs do well with her, a lot of the time they will even ask to pet her because she stays still and leans against me or sits on my feet when I have her sit next to me. I just told my friend about this and he is surprised I didn't tell the guy to sit and stay.

NOTE: I would normally have just walked away from the kid if he was freaking out more, but after his initial OMG DOG!!!, he seemed curious more then anything. Also I wasn't expecting a crazy father to arrive. Once that happened the normally shy Squeaks decided to take a break and assertive Squeaks came out, I have this thing where I refuse to let men bully me, especially if they are larger and are physically trying to intimidate me (I know that can be foolish). If the kid, or Lucy had been freaking out during that time, I would have walked away.
    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Well done Any bets the reason the kid's afraid of dogs is because of something stupid his dad did?
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Doesn't sound to me like the kid's afraid of dogs, at all. Daddy's a jerk.

Comment

There are few things better than well behaved children and pets, seems like dear old dad needs to learn a lesson from both

Comment

i agree; squeaks, you handled that wonderfully. dad was a moron; the kid might be a bit nervous around, rather than afraid dogs, and with him making the fear claim, he shouldn't bring a child into a situation where dogs are going to go.

i think the boy will be fine if dad's not around and mom isn't a moron as well.
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

That's beautiful. What was that idiot doing, taking a kid with a dog fear into a pet store? I agree that probably the dad is uncomfortable around dogs and his kid picked up on it, I try very hard not to react with fear if I see a spider, since I don't want Khan to be afraid of them.

Khan met his first dog when he was 8 months old, but we have a cat, and ever since before he crawled I have been drilling into him "You DO NOT approach strange dogs or cats. You hold out your hand for them to smell you, and BE GENTLE."

Now, whenever he sees an animal (or even our cat), he looks at me until I say it's OK, then he walks slowly up with his hand out. He's not even 2 yet.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Double stupidity on the dad, I mean you let your kid run around a store (we, all know how dangerous that is) and a store that might have a dog which he is afraid of. Anyway kudos, to you Squeaky for standing up to him as well as the employee for kicking him out.

Anyway when I was a kid I was afraid of dogs (most of them) until we got Princess (RIP 1994-2009, she is my avatar) and now I'm not afraid of most dogs. I don't think anyone was afraid of Princess because we mainly had her on a leash or out in the fenced backyard and she didn't try to bite anyone. I don't really remember any children being afraid of her when she was younger but I do remember a couple of them being scared of her when she was older because of her size (she gained a lot of weight when she got older).
              Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
              My space
              Facebook

Comment

Sounds like the kid is scared of doing the wrong thing around dogs more so than really being scared of dogs. I was like that as a kid, every time I saw a new type of animal I would become really skittish but it was because I was afraid of doing something wrong, I always got used to the new critter very quickly once I knew how to properly introduce myself.

Comment

How the hell did he expect you to know there was a kid in the store who was "afraid of dogs"? It's a PET STORE. And yeah, it sounds more like dad is the one who is afraid, or more likely, doesn't LIKE dogs, and his poor son is picking up on that. Sounds like he's already overcoming it though. Lucy sounds adorable.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I agree, sounds like Dad is not a dog lover himself and made his poor kid afraid of them!

I'm surprised I'm not scared of dogs since I started having dreams of a big dog jumping at me a few years ago. It was always of being held over our fence for the neighbors' German Shepherd, so I got the feeling it was a repressed memory and not a random dream. I asked my mom if my 2-sisters ever did that to me when I was little. They both got real wide-eyed, and both pointed at the other and said "It was HER idea mom!" Even though this was like 10+ years later, mom still read them the riot act!
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

It sounds like you helped the kid more than scared him with Lucy. Also, the restraint you showed with not punching the dad in the face (Rena is not too assertive but if someone's in my face, yelling at me, I am very keen on making them stop) which I believe is very admirable.

Comment

Yeah, I think my mind just got up, put up a sign "Going to Hawaii" and went without me on this one. So..I might not have this straight.

One, you were supposed to be psychic that a child that is afraid of dogs was in a pet friendly store.

Two, the kid ..which was supposedly afraid of said dog, ended up having a great time with the animal.

Three Clueless father didn't even bother to notice that the kid was having a grand old time with the animal that he claims his kid is afraid of.

Fail Dad is fail.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'm glad the little boy didn't freak out more with Lucy, I would have felt bad about it. I've seen people continue to freak their kid out about animals because they don't want one, so it wouldn't have surprised me if that's what the father was doing. Ex: I had a former client's daughter ask me about rats, then the client jumped in to say they are mean and will bite her all the time. Then once the daughter left the room she explained to me that she doesn't want her child to get over her fear of rodents because they don't want to get one.
                          I had a cousin for years think he was allergic to cats because his Mom didn't want one so she always told him he was allergic, he never was, my parents and I never saw him have issues with cats from when he was an infant until he was 18, why? Well we had a cat they never noticed because she never came out of hiding when they were at our house. Now his roommate has a cat and he doesn't know what happened to his allergies.

I can see not wanting to get a pet until the child is older, or until the kid moves out, but to make a kid afraid of them, or say they are allergic is wrong, just be honest. Eventually the kid will figure out the animal isn't so bad, or that 'their allergies" went away.
                          I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

This kid's reaction reminds me of the way the Evil Princess used to be around dogs (Evil Empryss's daughter). She loved dogs on TV, and from a distance when she first started walking and talking. But she'd get scared with the reality of a dog up close.

Fortunately, EE's neighbor's had a nice dog who was very tolerant of kids. EE's parents also had a wonderfully gentle dog (Jezebel, go figure ) who quickly got the Evil Princess over all that.

That, plus, EE and the Evil Overlord didn't go all apeshit overprotective when the kids got nervous over something new.

Act like something's a big deal, and you make it one. Act like it's nothing, and kids adapt quick.

The OP handled this exactly right. The father: epic fail.
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                              I had a cousin for years think he was allergic to cats because his Mom didn't want one so she always told him he was allergic, he never was, my parents and I never saw him have issues with cats from when he was an infant until he was 18, why? Well we had a cat they never noticed because she never came out of hiding when they were at our house. Now his roommate has a cat and he doesn't know what happened to his allergies.
                              That was a very bad thing to do to the kid. What if in addition to his cat "allergy" he also had a food allergy that wasn't imaginary? When he found out the cat "allergy" was a lie, he might assume the food allergy was also a lie, then go eat something that would kill him.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X