This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth lordlundar View Post
    You're going to want to be careful with the 18 dart clips with the longshot or it could really mess your accuracy up. The design was to accommodate the 6 dart clip with the tripod and an 18 would ensure you can't tilt very high. In fact, the butt storage part with a clip on it ensures you're not getting a very high tilt as it is. If you use the 18 clip on it, best to use it open hand and forgo the tripod.
    I had no plans on using a tripod with it. My boyfriend's sentry gun already covers that.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

OK, can someone please give me advice on painting my guns? I am thinking steampunk style.

Comment

Start with fine sand paper (like 800 grit or better, probably 1000) - To take the shine off the guns otherwise you risk the paint rubbing/flaking off. And your painting/alterations is best done with the gun dissassembled ofcourse so you can keep the internals from being stuck together.

If you want to add cosmetic touches like cogs and pipes, try getting ones made out of plastic, and use plastic glue (NOT super glue) as this essentially welds the plastic together. Use Superglue/epoxy's if its metal to plastic.

How do you want to paint it? Spray/Airbrush/Brush? If you can, I'd reccommend Airbrush, you go through paint a bit quicker, but it goes on so, SO smooth and fine. Which is great considering the moving parts etc. Spray painting will be fine for overall colour, but you'll most likely need to use brushes for details etc.

I don't know what the rules are in Aus, but here (I think its law but I do this to be safe) I marked off the barrell tips in Masking tape, so they stay bright orange. Internal workings I either took right out of the gun, or covered aswell.

If your brushing the paint on, don't be afraid to water the paint slightly so it goes on thin. Multiple thin coats is better than one thick one. Personally I'd use a spray base coat atleast. Dark (Black, Dark grey etc) if you want dark colours (or brass, metal etc which go on black basecoat nicely), light (White etc) if you want a brighter gun.

The first one I painted was done by brush (no pics unfortunately) - but I've painted Xbox controllers with the airbrush these days. And want to paint a nerf gun again now, darn you :P

Anything specific you want to know?
        Last edited by ApolloSZ; 01-10-2012, 06:51 PM. Reason: Spelling was atrocious, but it is the morning XD
        "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
        Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
          Start with fine sand paper (like 800 grit or better, probably 1000) - To take the shine off the guns otherwise you risk the paint rubbing/flaking off. And your painting/alterations is best done with the gun dissassembled ofcourse so you can keep the internals from being stuck together.

How do you want to paint it? Spray/Airbrush/Brush? If you can, I'd reccommend Airbrush, you go through paint a bit quicker, but it goes on so, SO smooth and fine. Which is great considering the moving parts etc. Spray painting will be fine for overall colour, but you'll most likely need to use brushes for details etc.

I don't know what the rules are in Aus, but here (I think its law but I do this to be safe) I marked off the barrell tips in Masking tape, so they stay bright orange. Internal workings I either took right out of the gun, or covered aswell.

Anything specific you want to know?
          Out of that list, I plan on disassembling the gun to the best of my abilities, and then whatever can't be disassembled I can going to tape over.

I was thinking a combination of spray paint and dry brush or similar, I kind of want that "worn" effect to it. So far I'm thinking the main colour to be gunmetal with brass "fittings". (i.e have the yellow parts gunmetal and the orange parts brass)

I'm keeping the clips orange for two reasons: 1) safety reasons and 2) once I get the clips, they are going to be loaded so I don't lose the darts. Paint tends to eat at the foam in the darts. I will check in with the police beforehand though regarding the legalities. (in general, airsoft guns are banned as are BB guns, but I'll check in with them regarding replicas)

Only specific question I want to know and this can come from anyone is how to get that "worn" look? I was thinking dry-brushing, but I have no idea how to do it or what to use.

If this comes out well, I eventually plan on putting together a steampunk outfit for AvCon this year.

Comment

I'd say the Raider and the Maverick. My boyfriend modifies nerf guns, giving them over twice the range. Sometimes he can combine the parts from two together, put more powerful motors in, etc. If you power up a belt fed too much though, you get a lot of jams.

Don't get taken in by 'modified' nerf guns on ebay. A lot of them just have a nice paint job, but nothing's been done on the inside to make them more powerful.
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Picturing the Alpha trooper and longshot thats alot of paint XD

Drybrushing is a technique where you get some paint on your brush, then start wiping it off until their is almost none left and the lightly brush over the surface. Always move the brush in the same direction for a uniform look, move the object to get to other areas.

For a worn look, you'll want to use lighter colours on edges, and on surfaces which would be 'moving' alot, where it'd be rubbed alot with ages of use (i.e. along the cocking mechanisms).

So for instance a brass colour, heavy drybush/straight paint of say burnished gold, the a finer paint over less area using shining gold (I'm using GW paints as a reference, but may have those two around the wrong way). GW's Gunmetal would be highlighted with Mithril silver, and a Badab Black wash. (OMG their washes are awesome lol) to blend it better.

You'd want dark/black colours in creases/crevices where dirt etc would build up. Which again the washes are awesome for. In lieu of washes, you can use very watered down paint.

You can get a masking fluid aswell. Using say a car for an example, you'd paint gunmetal on some areas as a 'under' colour, let it dry. Paint the masking fluid over it in a line (like a scratch) and let it dry too. Then paint the car its planned colour (i.e. red, cos its faster XD) - once this is dry, you'll see where you painted the masking fluid, peel this off, and the metal will show through like a scratch.

When I get home I'll find you some links to vids etc if you want, unless someone here beats me to it.

Heres a link to a Nerf Maverick in Steampunk style. (go google images!) - You can see a few extra bits for the theme. The lighter colours on raised surfaces/contours and physical scratches/cuts hes done.
              http://www.jeremyclough.com/wp-conte.../12/steam1.jpg
              Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                Picturing the Alpha trooper and longshot thats alot of paint XD
                Even if I only get one done in time, that's fine by me

Comment

I GOT IT!!!!

Got lucky on my second try hunting for the gun and found it on sale at Myers (upscale department store). Probably a good thing too: the Longshot can go for around $80 at Toys R Us . This was $45.

My second gun will be the Alpha trooper if I can get it, failing that, I'll see about getting a Recon as my backup. (The Target near me did not carry the Alpha Trooper at all, they only had the Spectre, Recon and Deploy)

Comment

*Happy dance* Yay!! Myers is pretty awesome, Jazzy picked up a Barbie kitchen set with doll for $9.60 the other day (down from $54 ) and the End of Season sales are amazing. Hope you're able to find the Alpha Trooper.
                    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Pro-tip

The Recon looks really comically funny with a 36 dart drum connected to it XD

And also, congrats! I'll try remember links tonight. And I'd be interested in pics when your done painting!

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
                        *Happy dance* Yay!! Myers is pretty awesome, Jazzy picked up a Barbie kitchen set with doll for $9.60 the other day (down from $54 ) and the End of Season sales are amazing. Hope you're able to find the Alpha Trooper.
                        Well I'll be in the CBD tomorrow which DOES have a Target and a Toyworld, so I'll have a look there for the Alpha Trooper.
                        The Longshot was about the same price at Big W, but they didn't have any in stock (at the 2 near me) so Myer was my second choice. Neither Kmart or Target carry the Longshot. Toys R Us and Toyworld here do though.

I also checked in with the police: as long as it's made clear that it's plastic underneath and also incapable of firing anything but foam rubber darts, then it should be OK. So my paint job will pretty much leave the end of the barrel untouched on both guns, as well as keeping the N-Strike logo on the Longshot stock.

Bought some black paint today for the undercoat.

As for my sidearm, my choices are between the Alpha Trooper, the Barricade or the Maverick.

Comment

OK my sidearm is picked up. I went for the Barricade. (main reason being that the point of said backup is that it's meant to be for when the clips are empty)

Currently in the process of sanding them both down so that the paint will stick, however they aren't getting painted until I mod them out so that I know how to put them back together after dismantling them for painting.

My plan regarding the paints will HAVE to be acrylic mixed with glue so that it sticks, then a top clear coat to seal them in. I also brought a couple of steel brushes (they look a little bit like toothbrushes) and I can probably get away with achieving the dry-brush effect that way.

Comment

I wants the pics when your done

With the barriade only mod I can think of is altering the voltage or motors. Havent modded an electric one yet

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post

With the barriade only mod I can think of is altering the voltage or motors. Havent modded an electric one yet
                              Friend of mine modded his barricade so it makes a lower hum...mostly by changing the batteries. Mine with fresh AA batteries like the manual, makes a very loud whir.

Comment

Working...
                              X