This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paranoia

Ah, my lovely customers. So very concerned about their privacy and financial safety, two very important things, I will agree, but in such... interesting ways their concerns can be expressed. There are the normal multitudes of customers who want extra passwords on their account, refuse to do online anything, don't believe in debit cards. Normal, everyday stuff, that. Then there are these customers:

NO mail!

Customer number 1 is a very kind, sweet guy. Never creepy, and has actually never accused anyone working at my bank of anything despite the rest of the world being out to get him.

He has his account blocked down for absolutely no automatic anything. It won't even take a direct deposit or an ATM withdraw, that's how locked down it is. The ONLY way he can do anything on his account is in person. One of the reasons he likes us is that we take customer photos on our accounts and we still ask to see a photo ID and ask for his password in addition to that picture (by his request, which is noted on the account).

His biggest concern is that his mail keeps getting stolen. Specifically his mail that goes to his locked post office box. "They" get into his mail and read it in order to steal his identity and then they put it back exactly how it was before so he won't know about it.

Because of these nefarious mail thieves, Customer 1 requests that NO mail be sent out to him, EVER. Of course, he also does nothing on the internet, and he has no phone number. We have a opt-out form for our statements, but there are some things that we are legally obligated, as a financial institution, to at least try to notify our customers about. One of those things is when his CDs are about to renew... so this customer will close them 3 months early, taking the penalty, and then open a new cd rather than allow the renewal date to come up. There is also an IRS form that gets sent to him about his interest earned that year. No escaping that one. This triggers the annual closing of his current savings account and re-opening it with a new account number. Because "they" got his account information from that statement.

His safe deposit box he pays ahead of the due date in cash so as to not trigger a coming due notice. If he ever gets a coming due notice, he closes the rental of the box and, again, opens a new one.

Sweet guy, just... yeah.

Notary service vs. the mob

Customer # 2 is... scary. She seems very nice and normal at first. What she wants is simple: a notary. She writes letters and she always wants her signature notarized on the letters. This way, she can always have proof that this is her letter and they can't fake her signature on anything else, because she never signs anything on paper unless it's notarized.

The reason she needs to send out these notarized letters is that she is trying, single-handedly, to defeat the mob bosses who are after her. By sending her notarized explanations out to every government official she can find an address for, they can't get her without someone noticing. Although the governor and the mayor and various others are in the mob's payroll. As are the lawyers she occasionally tries to go to for assistance.

I can't really explain what it is about this woman that makes her scary. Maybe it's the way her eyes show white around all the edges when she gets worked up in her explanation. Maybe it's how calmly and quietly she speaks about these people out to get her. There is just something about her that makes you think that one day she will just... snap. And who knows what she'll do.

But until then, she will calmly and politely get her papers notarized and protect herself from the mob.

ATM PIN number change

Customer 3 is an ass.

He started off as just another grumpy long-time customer annoyed about change. We recently did an ATM upgrade. Our ATMs now count the money you deposit and scan the checks. No more envelopes, and the receipt actually gives you a miniaturized copy of the check. It's kinda cool. The change has a software upgrade that went along with it.

Well, something messed up. For some reason, the new ATM software won't let customers change their PIN at the ATM.

We have multiple alternatives for our customers while they are figuring out the problem. The phone number you call to activate cards when you get them in the mail also allows you to set or change the PIN on existing cards. We can change the PIN in person for our customers, letting them type the PIN into a private pinpad so we don't see what it is (I can show customers my screen... I only see stars). Customers can also change their PIN at ATMs that are not our own ATMs since the problem is not with the cards or the internal system, but with the new software on the ATMs themselves.

EVERY single customer who has even noticed this is a problem (most don't) has been happy enough with the alternatives. But not this guy.

This guy wanted to speak with my manager, then my manager's manager, then the person in charge of the ATMs and the CEO of the bank himself. Not for an explanation or an apology or to be heard. But to make it work. NOW. He MUST change his PIN at the ATM.

He can't use the secure phone line. His phone is being tapped and people will get his PIN.

After much grumbling, he did set the PIN in my office (I foolishly thought I'd gotten him reluctantly taken care of), but only because he somehow thought that he would be able to change it at the ATM like he wants after it is set to begin with. Because despite MY telling him it would not work, he called "someone" and they told him that it would, but it turns out I was right and the PIN can't be changed at the ATM right now. Only since he used the PIN that he set in my office to withdraw money, now hackers can go to that ATM and withdraw money from his account. Apparently he changes his PIN every time he uses the ATM to avoid this risk.

I offered to have him change the PIN again in my office, but that is not acceptable any longer. Since he set his PIN in my office, we all have internal access to his PIN and it is a conspiracy and we are going to steal his money.

He eventually left, after declaring that he would be contacting the FBI on ALL of us because we are not allowing him to control his own account.

*sigh*

It all sounds exhausting! I would never have to worry about 'da man' because I'd be too tired to leave my bed!
    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

That last guy ... maybe he'd be better off keeping his cash under his mattress.

Except that then they'd be breaking into his house and stealing it from there.

Some people just can't be reasoned with. Way back when, when I was still working as a licensed locksmith, I had one customer, an elderly woman in an apartment house, who called me once a month to re-key her locks, because she was convinced that they were coming in and messing around in her apartment, going into her refrigerator and eating her food, opening her closet and moving her late husband's shirts (he'd been dead 10 years or so) from one side of the closet to the other, and so on. What was probably happening was that she was starting to get Alzheimer's, and she was eating the food and moving the shirts herself and then forgetting that she'd done it, but no, it had to be the super of the building, or someone else copying her keys. We finally put in a Medeco Omega cylinder, which has a keyway that's not copyable at all. Blanks are not available outside the factory, period. (Well unless you have one of these and can make your own, risking getting sued for patent violation.) She was still convinced people were getting hold of her keys somehow.

Comment

He changes his PIN every time he uses an ATM?

Good lord. I'd never be able to keep up. I hate just having to change my passwords on my work computer every 90 days.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

NO mail!
          Paranoia strikes deep...

Notary service vs. the mob

Customer # 2 is... scary. She seems very nice and normal at first.
          Your description of this woman, especially the paranoid delusions about the mob, sounds very much like someone who used to advertise with us, if you can call long, ranty, detailed conspiracy theories "advertising". I've worked this job for 35+ years and talked to all kinds of weirdos. This woman is the only one who ever scared me.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I feel sorry for these people.

I suspect they have a disorder that's going inadequately treated, and their rituals are their ways of dealing with it.

Poor sods.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I am a rather paranoid person. But I am reasonable.

I get a good lock put on the mail box (slot for letters/paper, and will go pick up packages), I will have a security system, and I have a special Credit Card that I only use for Internet purchases. Anything beyond that is just a waste of time.

Except for the lady who is 'escaping the mob' (no I do not believe her, but there is a chance, so I will not judge). I can understand a person doing that.
              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

All three people are almost certainly paranoid schizophrenic; these are classic symptoms. Luckily for them, they appear to be high-functioning enough that they are not in jail or homeless, which is the fate of all too many.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                  We finally put in a Medeco Omega cylinder, which has a keyway that's not copyable at all. Blanks are not available outside the factory, period. (Well unless you have one of these and can make your own, risking getting sued for patent violation.) She was still convinced people were getting hold of her keys somehow.
                  You know, given selective laser sintering and long distance photography for discovering the key pattern (http://www.jacobsschool.ucsd.edu/new...ase.sfe?id=791), I really have to wonder if there's any security benefit to keepingnthe keyway patented anymore...
                  Last edited by EricKei; 10-25-2014, 02:56 AM. Reason: trimmed quote
                  Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                    I am a rather paranoid person. But I am reasonable.

I get a good lock put on the mail box (slot for letters/paper, and will go pick up packages), I will have a security system, and I have a special Credit Card that I only use for Internet purchases. Anything beyond that is just a waste of time.

Except for the lady who is 'escaping the mob' (no I do not believe her, but there is a chance, so I will not judge). I can understand a person doing that.
                    I have actually been considering having a friend that works at a nonUSA ISP generate me a totally unrelated to my real self email that I can use to set up a brand new online identity linked with a prepaid credit card, and a <his country> sim card for a phone number to link to a skype account. And he taught me to anonymize my online activity - though to really erase myself I need to start the burn identity.

We actually kept a PO box down near base in New London for about 10 years - there was a mailbox thief in our rural area that they couldn't catch [ it was kids on bicycles stealing stuff out of the mailboxes while everybody was at work] and our geese made great watchbirds [a pissed off goose can break bones, they are actually large and strong. Cute and fluffy they definitely are not.]
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                      You know, given selective laser sintering and long distance photography for discovering the key pattern (http://www.jacobsschool.ucsd.edu/new...ase.sfe?id=791), I really have to wonder if there's any security benefit to keepingnthe keyway patented anymore...
                      I'm sure the patent has expired by now; they were patented in the early '70s. There's still a sort of gentlemen's agreement among the aftermarket key blank makers not to reproduce the restricted keyways, though. (Or there was. I've been out of the field since 1993, so I don't know the state of the art anymore.)

The article says:
                      “This idea should come as little surprise to locksmiths or lock vendors,” said Savage. “There are experts who have been able to copy keys by hand from high-resolution photographs for some time. However, we argue that the threat has turned a corner—cheap image sensors have made digital cameras pervasive and basic computer vision techniques can automatically extract a key’s information without requiring any expertise.”
                      Heck, I've copied keys by eyeballing the depths before. Nothing new about that.

Then there's this.

And that.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                        I'm sure the patent has expired by now; they were patented in the early '70s. There's still a sort of gentlemen's agreement among the aftermarket key blank makers not to reproduce the restricted keyways, though. (Or there was. I've been out of the field since 1993, so I don't know the state of the art anymore.)

The article says:

Heck, I've copied keys by eyeballing the depths before. Nothing new about that.

Then there's this.

And that.
                        'that' is really surprising to me. Shouldn't be, but is. Cool trick.

I think Medco sort of 'extends' the patent by churning out some modification that they patent, which is based on the original, and uses the same keyway. Sort of the same way a drug company extends a patent by tweaking a drug and patenting the new one.

It'll be interesting to see how physical locks evolve (or don't) over time.
                        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                          snip
                          You still play EVE Online. When I start playing again I will probably start taking similar precautions. (especially if I get involved with goonswarm)

Though the PO box is perfectly reasonable. Mail thief is the easiest way to steal someones identity.
                          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Yeah, PO Boxes are reasonable. Believing that someone is invading that PO Box and returning everything within to its original condition,to the point where if you get any communication about your account that arrives properly, you treat that as proof that your account number is compromized and needs to be changed.... that's a bit much.

Comment

Well, paranoia isn't known for being subtle and light... it's always shadow-agencies, freemasons and aliens. You actually think the MAILMAN delivers your mail?! How naive!
                              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X