This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax warmers or candles?

Which do you prefer or recommend? What are some of your favorite scents?
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

The warmers are probably better than regular flame candles if you have kids or pets around. I personally use a warmer plate that plugs into the wall and has a switch to turn it on or off. That way I can use whatever scented candle I want to and I don't have to worry about kitties brushing up against it and setting their tails on fire.

I also have a mini crock pot that's great for simmering potpourri . . . just don't leave them on for more than a couple of hours at a time and make sure you're checking the water level regularly, otherwise you'll have a burnt ring around the sides and those are hard to clean up, especially if you leave it sitting for a while.

As far as the scents go, I usually gravitate toward the floral ones . . . roses and lavender are two of my go-to scents. Apples and cinnamon are great around the holidays - that one gives the impression you've been baking away all day.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

My ex likes both, and while she has a lot of candles (both scented and unscented), she tends to stick with the warmers.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I tend to prefer candles, but the kitty-flaming-tail issue is not a minor concern by any means ...

When I was in my 2BR apartment, I used the table in the second bedroom to wrap gifts, and at Christmas would light candles for that joyous holiday look and smell ... and put them out EVERY time I left the room, even if it was only for a quick dash to the loo. Went through a lot of matches ...

The other problem with candles is the leftovers. I'm trying to cut back on my contributions to the local landfill, so I'm never sure how to deal with the remnants of candles in glass jars, or even just the remnants, period. I tried using the leftover wax to make my own candles for a while ... like most of my hobbies, that died a quick death.

As for the mini-crockpot, I had one of those (might still have one, buried in my storage units somewhere). One Christmas I decided to get really holiday-ish, and put bits and pieces of fir tree boughs into it.

A LOT of bits and pieces.

Basically the damn thing was FULL. I added water and plugged it in.

I left the apartment for a while, leaving the crockpot plugged in, and when I returned ... I had to open the freakin' windows. In DECEMBER. It was almost impossible to breathe. Obviously a situation where "less is more" ...

If I've still got the crockpot, I'll likely keep it for a while ... it was electrical, so no fear of open flames, at least. If not, well ... between my mother's candle collection and my own, I'm pretty sure I've got enough.
        Last edited by Pixelated; 06-24-2018, 09:46 PM.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I prefer the ambiance of candles but I have a cat who is drawn to flame for some reason so it's safer for me to use scented wax. I have a friend who sells Scentsy so I have way more warmers than I can use at once (works out to at least two per room, between full-size and plug-ins), and a LOT of scented wax. I tend to go for clean, citrus-type scents, or coffee shop/bakery scents, but lately I've been on a sweet, fruity kick. Of course my friend keeps trying to get me to buy more warmers and wax every time new ones are released, but so far I've been doing pretty good at saying 'no'. I don't really need any more warmers, and I want to use up most of my wax stash before I buy more!

Comment

Forgot about the scents. I prefer -- herb-type scents? Not sure if that's the correct term, since I'm referring to rosemary (yes, that's an herb) but I also really love eucalyptus (not sure if THAT is an herb). I also like realistic-as-possible evergreen tree scents -- some of the sprays that advertise themselves as such make me wonder if the developers have ever been anywhere near an actual evergreen.

I like some floral scents (rose and lavender and lilac) but I've never gotten the point of having stuff that smells like fruit -- unless it's real fruit. I see all these shampoos that are fruit-scented and I can't figure out why anybody would want to go around smelling like a fruit salad.
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I avoid fruit-scented shampoo, body spray, etc., since I'd rather not be smelling that all day and getting hungry when I can't do anything about it.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                I avoid fruit-scented shampoo, body spray, etc., since I'd rather not be smelling that all day and getting hungry when I can't do anything about it.
                Yeah, there's that too.
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                  Just be glad there isn't a garlic scent.

I'm a rain and water scents kind of guy myself. No matter how clean my apartment is I'm always coming home to a dank, damp smell. I feel like candles is asking for trouble but the wax warmers look nice.
                  Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

I prefer oil burners. A 8 hour candle will last me a few months because I only have the candle burning for about 20-30 minutes at a time once a blue moon.

I love my mint and peppermint oils but my housemate can't stand mint. So instead I have lemon, lime, green tea, cedar and eucalyptus oil to choose from.
                    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

I prefer using the wax melts over candles - you can change up the scents every so often.

My choice is usually fruit-scented ones or the more "classic" scents.

Comment

I prefer candles as I don't have small children/animals to worry about, and they're always in proper holders/lanterns and well away from anything that could catch light.

Scent wise I prefer sandlewood and other similar scents. Cinnamon, cranberry, etc. around Christmas. Linen, ocean, etc. I tend to avoid as they're usually disappointing once lit. Fruit scents just make me hungry.

If you don't mind paying a bit, Yankee candles are good quality and have a great range of scents in various sizes. Since they're in jars they're very safe to burn so long as you follow the usual safe placement guidelines, and once they've been blown out replacing the lid prevents smouldering and re-ignition.
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
                          Just be glad there isn't a garlic scent.
                          That would make me hungry too.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                          X