This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rude Old People

I don't know if, when people reach a certain age, they just don't care what they say to people, or if it's senility, or if they just don't care about the feelings of others.
    The first story happened today, the second a few years ago. I lump them together because it's the same thing....
    (bg, I'm a cashier at a small grocery store)

So this morning, I was working down a line, mostly small orders. I was booking along at a good clip, cheerful, having a good morning. As I was ringing out a woman about my age, I saw that the customer behind her was an elderly man that I recognized; he lives in my town, shops with us regularly. So I smiled at him, said something like "Good morning" or "Hi there". As my current customer went to pay me, the old man said "Well, have you been putting on some weight or what?".

A couple people in line laughed, the woman I was waiting on gave me a look, she was mortified for me, kinda eye-roll "omg" expression.

Seriously? When is it okay to say something like that to someone??

For the record, I am 5'7" and have been around 140 lbs since my daughter was born 6 yrs ago. I'm average, healthy, proportionate. No major loss or gain, ever. Side-note, our company is in the process of switching uniform companies, so we do not have aprons at the moment. I am rather, er, chest-heavy, so without an apron's cinching properties, my shapeless work polo-shirt kinda balloons around me. So I can see how I might've looked "bigger" than usual. BUT! Who the hell thinks it's okay to say something like that?? Ever. To Anyone?
    I just said to him "Well, that's not a very nice thing to say" and maintained silence throughout his transaction, got him outta there as fast as I could!
    But it just totally wrecked my day. ('cept for when I told this story to the cute new stock-guy, who told me I have nothing to worry about, that I am (and I quote him: ) "prime" :P That made my day lol

Anyway, reminded me of this little gem from a few year ago...

An elderly woman asked me "Are you the girl who used to live on <my old street>?" I answered that yes, indeed, I did live on <that> street, and that I remembered she lived on the corner; I'd see her on the porch when I took my kids for walks.
    She said "Hmm, funny...you are not as pretty as I remember you."

I don't wanna hate people. But people make it so easy to hate them....
    Last edited by TattooedMommie; 10-16-2014, 04:08 AM.

I have had stuff like this so much. And it's always when you're having a good day. Then--BAM--it's like getting hit in the face. My friends tell me to let it go, but when I do, that lets my guard down and then I get smacked again. Bullies--so many of them in the public arena. It's NEVER ok to mention weight like that. Someone should ask him if he got more wrinkles.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

That's awful! A similar thing happened to me. I stumbled upon a guy who did a four week work placement at Land of Quid. This happened months ago now but I still remember it well. He looked at my belly and said, "You've put some weight on. You're not pregnant, are you?" I said that I wasn't pregnant.

He was also old.

Comment

Quoth TattooedMommie View Post
        For the record, I am 5'7" and have been around 140 lbs since my daughter was born 6 yrs ago. I'm average, healthy, proportionate. No major loss or gain, ever.
        it doesn't matter if you put on 500 pounds he still shouldn't have said it.

The "don't talk about my weight" thing is something I've had to drive home with a jackhammer with some people.
        Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
        Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Possible responses:
          .........."Neither are you."
          .........."You're not as nice as I remember you."
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Not that it's an excuse, but he probably had dementia. My grandmother, who had been pretty much the nicest person you'd ever want to meet, took a turn for the worse when she developed it. I remember having dinner at her house and she was on me because I'm losing my hair, telling me I should get whatever that hair-restoration drug is. She had never spoken to me like that in 35 years or however old I was at the time.

It was my grandmother and my family was there so I bit my tongue, but if some stranger said the same thing to me they would have gotten an earful.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
              That's awful! A similar thing happened to me. I stumbled upon a guy who did a four week work placement at Land of Quid. This happened months ago now but I still remember it well. He looked at my belly and said, "You've put some weight on. You're not pregnant, are you?" I said that I wasn't pregnant.

He was also old.
              Something like that happened to me, back when I was about fourteen and extremely overweight due to having compulsive eating disorder. An old woman gave me a death glare once when I was out in town, having skipped school to buy smokes. She then snapped at me, "Stupid young girls, you shouldn't be having babies at your age!" I snapped back, "I'm not pregnant, I'M FAT!"

Honestly. Some of these old people need a lesson from Ms Manners.
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

In a manager's meeting the other day:
                EM - Evil manager
                NM - Nice manager

EM "Did you finish the paperwork on my new hire?
                NM "What new hire?"
                EM "The one who looks like you but is skinny...oh, not that you're fat or anything"

Cue all other managers clunking their chins off the floor..especially because EM is a big cow and NM is a tiny thing

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  Something like that happened to me, back when I was about fourteen and extremely overweight due to having compulsive eating disorder. An old woman gave me a death glare once when I was out in town, having skipped school to buy smokes. She then snapped at me, "Stupid young girls, you shouldn't be having babies at your age!"
                  Nevermind that in the past fourteen-year-olds were often "already made mothers"--Shakespeare, Romeo & Juliet
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

An elderly woman asked me "Are you the girl who used to live on <my old street>?" I answered that yes, indeed, I did live on <that> street, and that I remembered she lived on the corner; I'd see her on the porch when I took my kids for walks.
                    "Funny, I could swear you didn't used to have as many wrinkles or white hairs..."
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I don't wanna hate people. But people make it so easy to hate them....
                      "Oh, you must be thinking of my sister. She's the pretty one!" - This actually happened to me & that was my actual response. The awkward silence was worth it
                      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                      What's the difference?
                      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

That is just appalling that the people in line LAUGHED as opposed to, I don't know, gasping in horror and maybe even telling the guy off.

Comment

I get rude old people all the time. I think they figure since they look old and frail no one will tell them off. But I got to once about a month ago
                          I had a really bad injury to my wrist/hand that happened at work. I was out for a while due to it and when I came back I did 2 weeks "light duty". Anyway, I was wearing a splint that covered from my Palm to my elbow. On break I was buying lunch and went through self scan. I took my uniform shirt off before leaving my department. As I'm paying I get a *hard* bump with a cart from the person behind me, hard enough to hurt and it did bruise. I turn to see this little old lady with a shit eating grin on her face who tells me to hurry up because she can't stand much these days. I turned fully so she could see the splint and just said Seriously? You just ran into someone with a broken arm? (Was not broken but.....) She started to sputter and tried to defend her actions but I wasn't having it. I said lady, learn how to act in public before you go out next. Then I proceeded to sloooowly pack up my 3 items using only 1 arm. I swear I'd never seen a person's face turn as many colors of rage as hers did.

Comment

Working...
                          X