This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumpsters Attract Trash....

Specifically the overly-self-important and overly-litigious kind of cheap street trash that I hate to deal with.

A little background perhaps?

There's a small apartment complex we do that offers about 50 spaces, and just 3 visitor spots.

That's it.

That's all the owners saw fit to provide when they divvied up the lot.

If you are not a resident, you must use visitors, if visitors is full, you have to burn up a few neural pathways and THINK of SOMEPLACE ELSE to go. This is a chore indeed, since the road immediately out front does not allow parking at all, but, there are curbside places where it's legal a few blocks away, and, you'd think your guest would alert you to such before you arrived so you could plan ahead and... ho, ho ha ... ha ha ha.. BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Sorry, couldn't keep a straight face through that one.

I think you get the picture?

I've been called and complained to about this lot on numerous occasions, in that the person calling me wants to park there, but can't, because it's full, and there must be SOMETHING *hint* *hint* I can do about that. As in, tow someone away to make a space because there simply CAN'T be no spaces left, why, if the lot is full, SOMEONE must not belong! Or this red car that's in the visitors isn't really visiting, because, it's BEEN THERE ALL DAY!! (there is no time limit, posted, inferred or otherwise) And, prey tell, if I do tow them away, how long were YOU planning on staying? Hummmm? Uh huh.. that's what I thought.

Or maybe their asking if they can ignore the posted "VISITORS MUST PARK BETWEEN SIGNS" rules, where one sign with a happy little arrow pointing left and one with a happy arrow pointing right clearly mark the happy little spaces inbetween where you must park your happy little car, and nowhere else, happy camper.

Sorry, no can do it's first come, first serve.

And when it's full, it's full.

You don't get to make your own spaces.

So, naturally, what do people do here when they come in and find the three spaces occupied? They make their own, a fourth space.

Besides being CLEARLY outside where the ARROWS say "step over this line and yer a dead man", this puts them RIGHT IN FRONT of the complex's dumpster. That ALSO has two warning signs stuck to it. "DO NOT BLOCK DUMPSTER" and "NO PARKING VIOLATORS TOWED" , for the obvious reason that, well, despite what YOUR apartment looks like, the owners of THIS ONE have decided that sanitation is important.

And you can just imagine what happens when we find these innovative creators of additional parking spaces and tow them away, can't you?

Why, nothing happens at all, they usually are quite diplomatic and admit that they knew they were wrong, and , uh, ah , ha ha ha ha, BWAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!! Oh lordy, I have TEARS in my eyes over that one!

No, they always say the same darn thing, a la' "I'm moving in" guy:

"I was just VISITING my *random family member* WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO? THERE WAS NOWHERE ELSE TO PARK!"

Yes, we know, the fact you put your car in front of the dumpster proves that. As noted above, when it's full, it's full. When the hotel is full, you can't set up your own room in the lobby, when the flight is booked, you can't take the Captain's seat (or the FO's) OR go sit on the wing, and when you got 10 tons of crap, you can shovel it into a five ton dumpster.

No means no

Booked means booked

No vacancy means no vacancy

And Full means full means fool if you try and "test" that notion

Well, we scooped up the most vile of these specimens recently, as the angry phone call came about 10 minutes after we'd removed his Volvo from in front of said dumpster, 2nd person that day to get the hook for such, the first person had already come and picked up their car, while telling us:

"This is BULLS*IT! You don't tell ME where to park!"

Obviously not, since you ignored about four signs telling you where to stick it.

Ah, but Darth Volvo did him one better, while on the phone with us trying to find if we had his car, he blew up with the "usual" excuses, there was no where to park, he was just visiting his kid, there are no signs, old hat, you know.

When we informed him he was wrong, and in fact suffering from fractal wrongness as each and every one of his points was incorrect, that's when he decided to go full lawyer on us.

You NEVER go full lawyer.

Yes, see, at that VERY moment, this gentleman would have us believe his lawyer was drafting a very nasty nasty LETTER, and would be SENDING this to us.

"Okay" we said

He was a bit shocked we didn't really seem to care... didn't we hear him? He's having his lawyer send us a letter, RIGHT NOW!

Okay, we'll read it when it gets here, in the meantime, for every 24 hours he doesn't pick up the car, it'll be an extra $37 a day. (yeah, the new rates on storage don't round to 5, don't know why, I think the Borough WANTS us to get yelled at a bit more, dissuade those who don't have the guts to do it from towing, perhaps?)

Apparently, we still don't "get" it as far as he's concerned.

See, because his LAWYER is writing us a letter, we CAN'T charge him anything! And that car comes back NOW! Because he's got to be at work tomorrow... and remember what he said earlier? That LETTER is coming! And a LAWYER wrote it!

We tell him our address and again that he can do pretty much whatever the heck he and his lawyer please, but, until he shows up with $130 and photo ID, the car isn't moving from where it is right now, in the impound yard.

He cursed a lot and hung up.

15 minutes later he was in the office, paying to pick it up, still a bit confused as to why we weren't quaking in our boots over that letter....

We're still waiting for it.

I don't think it's ever going to come.

I really wonder sometimes, do these kinds of people threaten everyone they meet with a lawyer? And, if so, do the threatened parties ever really cave? It must work on at least ONE group of people out there, otherwise they wouldn't keep trying it? Would they? I really would like to know.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Did you tell him about the "Lawyer Letter Reading Fee"? ��
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

So how much does he owe now?

Comment

Quoth retro View Post
        So how much does he owe now?
        Why is it I see it being more than what the car is worth. Especially throwing in the fee his lawyer charged for the letter...

Comment

Nothing....he came in and paid at the end of the story.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

The attorney my clients use literally charges a fee for reviewing legal documents like lawsuits and threatening letters. Which we turn around and charge to the complainant's account and send a pre-lien notice to collect.

Comment

Totally different situation and people, but Whiney Bitch pulled a similar card where he kept repeating a futile threat to another coworker (HR or something like that), and the other coworker just didn't even react, kept trying to get him to the point of whatever they had been talking about, and Whiney Bitch just kept repeating the threat, as he always does.

Some people's mental problems are really funny.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I never get tired of reading about people who go full lawyer and are completely baffled when this doesn't intimidate Arga or his coworkers.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  I never get tired of reading about people who go full lawyer and are completely baffled when this doesn't intimidate Arga or his coworkers.
                  That's because they are so entertaining when they continue to try to keep repeating the same tired lines when they see it's not having the effect they imagined in their empty heads (which is more related to a vacant lot with a For Rent sign up, BTW.)

They keep trying because they can't handle the fact that the actual reality of a situation is 99.99% different than what they see playing in that empty lot.

Actual Reality is what's going on around you outside your head. Perceptual Reality is what one sees in their head. Too many people get the two confused.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    I suspect Arga & Co. wouldn't be intimidated if the owner of a towed car were an actual lawyer making litigious noises at them.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                      I suspect Arga & Co. wouldn't be intimidated if the owner of a towed car were an actual lawyer making litigious noises at them.
                      Possibly because Arga & Co. (I like that title) know that, should there be some fluke and it actually get before a judge, it would be thrown out of court with prejudice, and the claimant would also get hit for legal and court fees.
                      Judge: "Let me get this straight. There were the legally required signs, you had no permit, etc. and actually thought that having your lawyer write a letter would mean the laws mean nothing? Pay the fees, pay the fines, and get the hell out of my court."
                      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

While I don't think people should get that upset about it, I DO think they need to do something about that lot. If I lived in that complex, and couldn't have a visitor because all the spaces were taken up, I'd probably complain big time.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                          While I don't think people should get that upset about it, I DO think they need to do something about that lot. If I lived in that complex, and couldn't have a visitor because all the spaces were taken up, I'd probably complain big time.
                          Yup, but trying to complain to the towing company is just inane. Towing company =/= owner of lot/property. Maybe that is not understood?

Comment

It's DEFINITELY not understood, trust me, and the problem is, there isn't any room for more parking. The parcel the place is built on is butted up against a convenience store on one side, a hotel on two others, and a street on the third (er, fourth, man I stink at math), if they were to add another visitor spot, someone who lives there would lose theirs. Tough, but that's life.

I've had a few folks over the year try and claim that such places MUST offer visitor parking up to a certain amount, but, they never seem to be able to cite exactly what statute, building code or borough ordinance makes that LAW. Funny huh?
                            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

It's one of those things that as a potential tenant you have to look into; how often will you have visitors, and what kind of parking options do you have for them?

If it matters to you, and the answer is "not much" then don't rent there. It's that simple.

I think Mr. Self Important has pulled the Full Lawyer on spineless managers in retail and gotten results. It didn't occur to him that a tow company doesn't care about his customer satisfaction experience . . . because he's not really the customer.
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X