This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procrastinate much?

bg: I work for the Wal of Greens, a retail drug store. It is a small town, so not a lot of options for people to shop in, other than us, that C** drugstore, and Walmart.

Two stories:

This one happened a couple of years ago, but was THE most outrageous example of procrastination I have ever witnessed! We close at 10pm. This woman came running in about 9:30 ..... she needs help with an anniversary present! Okay, I spring to the rescue!

She has a picture from her wedding day and she wants it to fit in this collage frame (where you have several different pictures within the frame). I can do that! I so innocently assume. Oh no. You see, the picture she wants in THAT particular spot was taken horizontally. The spot she wants it in is vertical. There is no way I can change the way the picture was taken to fit where she wants it without blowing it way up and cutting it. Well, of course that won't do, because this is her WEDDING picture!!!!!!! (even though I wouldn't be cutting the actual picture, but a copy)

Cue much crying and gnashing of teeth. "But you HAVE to do this!!!! My anniversary is TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ::::waits for you to catch up::::: Yes, ladies and gentlemen, she waited until 30 minutes before we close to try to get this done. Her anniversary is tomorrow, you see. Which means that she had, oh I don't know, maybe like a WHOLE YEAR to figure this out??????

Story the second:
    This was tonight, the day before Halloween. Now, I will say that this woman *did* prepare ahead of time. It's just too bad that it was only 1 hour before we closed.

Here's the scene: in their infinite wisdom, corporate has decided that after 8pm, we only need a cashier and *moi* in the store (well, other than the pharmacist - who is back in the pharmacy and has their own problems )

So the cashier finally got her well-deserved break and I am on the cash register. I have a line of about 3-4 people. The phone rings, and I take the opportunity between wishing my just-rung-up customer to have a nice night and dealing with the next one to slam their stuff down to answer it. It is 9pm - again, we close at 10. And again, it is the night before Halloween.

::ring ring:: "Thank you for calling " yadda yadda yadda
    "Yeah do you have any Halloween costumes left?" (Let me just point out that we are a drugstore, not Walmart - we have a limited amount to begin with)
    "Yes, we have a few kids' ones left."
    "Well do you have any that are size 10-12?" NOTE: not which ones are they, not what are your prices, but wanting a specific size, as if the costume doesn't matter as long as it fits *precious*.
    "Well there are about 30 costumes over there, but I am alone here and can't leave the register to check the sizes for you."
    "Oh" <hangup>

Seriously? You wait until right before closing to CALL .... not COME IN to see for yourself ... and expect me to drop everything to check sizes on the costumes that we have left???? Now, I could see if you wanted a particular character or whatever (although even then you don't wait until right before closing) but character doesn't matter, as long as it's the right size? Some poor child is not going to have a good day tomorrow

That is all ......

And what is worse to me is the realization that their entire life is like this: scrambling at the last minute for everything. That's why the lady with the anniversary picture didn't use that year -- she was too busy getting caught up on other things.

The late fees on these people's lives could pay off my house.
    To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
    To pursue it with forks and hope;
    To threaten its life with a railway share;
    To charm it with forks and hope!

Comment

Wait a minute...I thought it was only us guys who waited that long to get stuff for important dates >_> Hrm...
      Procrastinate much?
      Lemme get back to you on that...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Maybe the kid didn't care as long as they got to go trick-or-treating? I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least some kids like that.

Comment

I used to work at Mart of Wal. I was always amused on Valentines Day and Mothers Day just how late at night guys (it was almost always men) would buy gifts for their beloved lady. Nothing like buying chocolate and a huge teddy bear at midnight.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I am the Queen of Procrastination. This year has been a really lean year, so there were no store bought costumes. I'd purchased some super-clearance fabric that I was going to make a cloak out of, but that didn't happen. Anyway, my kids knew that they would have to come up with costumes with just stuff that either I or my boyfriend had lying around the house. They planned to head out around 6pm. At 5:15 we finally got around to figuring out costumes.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Wait a minute...I thought it was only us guys who waited that long to get stuff for important dates >_> Hrm...
              Lemme get back to you on that...
              I see what you did there

Comment

bainsidhe - I, at least, have no excuse for forgetting Valentine's Day -- it's the day before my birthday
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Yet

Quoth Mondestrucken View Post
                  And what is worse to me is the realization that their entire life is like this: scrambling at the last minute for everything. That's why the lady with the anniversary picture didn't use that year -- she was too busy getting caught up on other things.

The late fees on these people's lives could pay off my house.
                  Yet, these people will be complaining to their friends all the time how nobody has what they need in stock and how unhelpful the staff is.

Comment

On a related note, I saw the most wonderful sign up at the service desk of the Mart of K today (had to get a new phone; the old one had...er...taken a swim x.x). It described a special amendment to their return policy, stating that the last day to return ANY Halloween merchandise (read: costumes), for any reason, was October 31 of the year in which it was purchased -- and that any purchased after that were considered to be a Final Sale/also unreturnable.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      On a related note, I saw the most wonderful sign up at the service desk of the Mart of K today (had to get a new phone; the old one had...er...taken a swim x.x). It described a special amendment to their return policy, stating that the last day to return ANY Halloween merchandise (read: costumes), for any reason, was October 31 of the year in which it was purchased -- and that any purchased after that were considered to be a Final Sale/also unreturnable.
                      Most likely to stop a rash of people from returning costumes on November 1 because either "they didn't fit" or "were defective" yet show obvious signs of wear and have stains/spill tracks/cigarette burns/etc all over them.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I've heard that some electronics stores won't accept returns of TVs purchased before Super Bowl Sunday after the kickoff. Normal return policy resumes for TVs purchased the following Monday.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          I've heard that some electronics stores won't accept returns of TVs purchased before Super Bowl Sunday after the kickoff. Normal return policy resumes for TVs purchased the following Monday.
                          I've heard that as well. IIRC Walmart and Best Buy have that policy b/c so many folks would buy huge ass tv's right before the game and bring them back right after the game with claims "it's defective" or "it's too big for my house" and still feeling warm after being used.

If you want to rent one, just go to a RTO store and get one for a few weeks if you're intent on hosting that humongous SB party and impressing your friends. Don't even need a credit check for those places and it'd be cheaper in the long run than running up your credit card for ridiculously huge tv, taking it back for a refund (minus restocking fee) and various other hassles.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                          X