Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Cannot Be Serious! (Sandwich Edition)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food poisoning is nooooot pleasant. It's icky to the extreme.

I also subscribe to the 'higher level of cleanliness' for when I have guests round. For making nom for me and Housemate, yup I don't wash my hands religiously, if the oven trays/tater tin/George are just about doable with a scrape they're okay, and just get stuff done. I know where it's all been and what's been on it. But for the 26th of May we're having a party for the Eurovision, and I am baking some nice things for everyone beforehand and heating some party food (Sainsbury's mozzerella sticks and cream cheese bites FTW!!) on the night; for that I will wash my hands and make sure the platters are freshly cleaned.

However if stuff goes on the floor it goes in the bin/sink regardless. I don't trust our floor XD
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
      ...you have no idea just how clean or dirty that floor was so why risk it.
      I don't care if the floor was sparkling. Despite common perception of me, even if my BEER spilled on the floor, I would not lick it up, no matter how clean the floor was, no matter what the beer was. It's the floor. It's where people walk. After they've walked elsewhere. We don't eat off the floor because it's not the place to eat off of.

And I am not preaching here to others about what they should or shouldn't do, don't get me wrong. The above is merely MY personal philosophy for ME. If anyone else feels like eating off the floor, that is their business. Knock yourself out.

Regardless of personal philosophy, though, when you serve the public, your standards have to be higher, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it's the freakin' LAW.

They are supposed to use fresh gloves, changing them every time they touch something different, for each item.
      You mean for each sandwich, or for each item on any particular sandwich. Because if you mean the latter, that seems like it would take FOREVER to get a sandwich made, and it seems like a bit of overkill, if you ask me. Also, I have personally never seen that actually happen. Changing gloves between sandwiches, yes, seen that. Also changing gloves between orders, i.e., using the same gloves for all the sandwiches in one order. I don't personally have a problem with that, though I imagine some geromphobes and vegetarians might.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
        Surely you can't be serious.
        I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

And for some reason, you never did seem like the sort who'd drink spilled beer off the floor so no worries there...
          Perhaps not to you, but to many people, apparently I did.

Also, to add to this, many years ago a colleague of mine assumed, quite incorrectly, that if I had to choose between women and beer, I would choose beer.

I love beer, but SERIOUSLY? No.

Still A Customer."

Comment

What I meant was more during prepping the ingredients in the back - do up a batch of chicken and then change your gloves before handling another meat (as part of the prep for the meats they either get individually wrapped portions or sectioned out into little boats that we then dump onto the bread without touching the meat with our gloved hands while making the sandwich.
            I have a friend who won't eat at this sort of place because he can't be sure they do that. He's got a problem with red meat which shuts down his system and once ordered a sandwich from a deli/sub shop and they didn't change gloves often enough - ended up in hospital for a few days due to the cross contamination of the juices.

(He's not sucky so he didn't make a huge fuss over the incident afterwards though I think he might have told them in a "please be aware these conditions do exist way")
            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

gloves. make sure they don't have holes in them

a couple of weeks ago, i went to a way of sub near my office. Tuna on honey oat, nom!! everything was fine until i saw one of the sandwich makers put her gloved hand in one of the veggie bins. this woman had very decorative 3-inch nails POKING OUT OF HER GLOVES!! not just one or two nails, all of them!! why bother even wearing gloves then?

i did send in a complaint because i'm not good with in-person confrontations. the district manager did contact me and said it was resolved but now i can't go to that store anymore. now when i want a tuna on honey oat bread, i have to go a couple of more blocks out of my way. and now i'm more aware of how they make the sandwiches too.
              there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                I don't care if the floor was sparkling. Despite common perception of me, even if my BEER spilled on the floor, I would not lick it up, no matter how clean the floor was, no matter what the beer was.
                And for some reason, you never did seem like the sort who'd drink spilled beer off the floor so no worries there
                That's a given. After all, beer doesn't have a high enough alcohol content to kill germs. 30 year old Pyrat cask rum, on the other hand...
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  30 year old Pyrat cask rum, on the other hand...
                  Pyrat Cask 1623 is actually a FORTY year blend.

But the alcohol content in it is no higher than a typical rum. It is 80 proof/40% ABV, just like Bacardi. Just far, far, FAR tastier than Bacardi!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    I don't care if the floor was sparkling. Despite common perception of me, even if my BEER spilled on the floor, I would not lick it up, no matter how clean the floor was, no matter what the beer was.
                    I am reminding of a certain commercial for Carling beer (probably NSFW).
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Wow. That is disgusting.
                      "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                      "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                      Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Last night I stopped at the local sub place after running some errands (picked up a hanging strawberry planter and some tomato plants for my deck garden). Since my hands were full, and there wasn't a line, I indicated I needed a moment and dropped my stuff off on a table before heading back up. The Bread/Meats artist after seeing my 1 moment indicator, took the time to do some other tasks in the back (no problem so far), including putting garbage bags back in the behind the counter garbage bins (there was one next to the cash and one next to the meat station). What quirked me a little, is immediately after she did that, she just put on a fresh set of gloves and got the bread and meat ready.

Granted, I didn't say anything about it, but this thread was at the back of my mind as I saw that.

Just before that, I'd seen an ambulance coming down the highway behind the store; the lights were just changing but even with the Ambulance coming down with lights and siren blaring, 2 cars cut across the highway to make the turn going in the opposite direction. To the point the ambulance did have to slow down almost to a stop at the light. Those people did have the green light, but the ambulance was pretty obvious, especially for the second person. *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                        X