This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Codeine Cough Syrup sleep

So I've had this type of syrup before when I had a cough that was costing me so much sleep it wasn't funny. I think the Doc gave me this type just cause of how tired I looked. But since I've started taking it one of my babies has been sleeping tight against me. Making me wonder exactly what I've been doing while asleep to make him worry so.

So I set up my laptop to record what it could and it was just after I was completely out that the pup decided to join me. His nose went up one side of me and then the other till he was convinced I wouldn't move to kick him off and that most likely, I was still living. After about a hour I twitched and his head went right up and he nosed at me till I moved again, his head then went on my chest.

Another hour or so and he started to nudge at me till I moved again and he got up to nose at me before laying down on the other side. Repeat this almost every hour on the hour till about 7am. This is the time they normally get put outside on Sunday's but I was still very much asleep. I had turned off all of my phone's alarms too.

8am rolls around and Noel makes whining movements and Ulmer gets up and leaves me for the first time. He comes back a bit later with black paws which means he was in the basement. You can hear both dogs go downstairs.

9am comes and he leaves to then come back with his pooh bear which is placed between us as he streches out on his back to still be laying against me, his ears pressed to my chest.

9:30 I start to stir and pull at blankets making the noises I make when I start to wake up. Striching under his chin I finally get up and do the normal morning things with also kicking both dogs outside with bowl of wet food for breakfast.

I swear this is the best sleep I'm getting but wow to how attentive Ulmer is getting. Last time I had this attention was when I pneumonia and my baby Nikita wouldn't leave my side at all.

Hmmm.

Take the laptop recording to your doctor. Show him. Your dog might be detecting the first signs of something like sleep apnea.

(Sleep apnea: you stop breathing for a time during your sleep.)

The dog nudging you would be enough to 'remind' you to resume breathing, if that's what it is.

Anyway: I'm by no means a doctor. But the combination of 'I've been sleeping badly' (one sign of SA) and the dog's behaviour, is making me think of my father in law's SA.

Get thee to a doctor. Could be any of a number of things. Could be nothing. Most of the possibles are quite treatable, though: better quality of life if you get treated.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Oh I'm sure it is, already was diagnosed with that quite awhile ago (like 6th grade) but I've gotten to the point in my weight loss/diabetes management where I don't need a evil machine. Nikita, Ulmer's Dad, would constantly sleep next to me and nip if needed, one thing I miss about him. It's speculated by my new doc that once I reach my goal size I should have no problems with the sleep apnea at all. But he is watching it when I report anything difference to his office. It could be however that the cough syrup is just enough that my subconscious isn't doing well enough to jolt myself awake.

Comment

lol! Nice they're making sure mom's ok. And boy-oh-boy, I can't wait to hear about Sups reaction when you let him 'overhear' what a relaxing, restful weekend you had.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
          Sups reaction when you let him 'overhear'.
          He doesn't work in my office. He mostly watches over everything through constant emails and phone calls to all the zip bosses.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
            Oh I'm sure it is, already was diagnosed with that quite awhile ago (like 6th grade) but I've gotten to the point in my weight loss/diabetes management where I don't need a evil machine.
            <snippage>
            It could be however that the cough syrup is just enough that my subconscious isn't doing well enough to jolt myself awake.
            'k. As long as your doc is aware.

GOOD dog, though. VERY good dog!
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Aren't furbabies amazing? Some dogs can sniff out cancer.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Alternatively, your dog may just be concerned because he's used to you being less inactive at night. Dogs are smart, but there's nothing necessarily magical about their senses - they're good at pattern recognition and lack some of the abstract reasoning skills humans use to filter out possibilities. As a result they pick up on changes that you may not have noticed, but that doesn't mean that there's necessarily a problem.

That said, Seshat is right, you should show the video to your doctor. Your dog is picking up something, and it's better to check for something that isn't there than to ignore the signs of something serious.

Comment

Nowhere near as serious, but my cats have been literally clinging to me at night on my bed from almost the moment I head up the stairs to the moment I get up since I've been kinda down a lot lately.

Hell, one of them follows me to the damn toilet and gets mad that I shut the door on her.

They care about us just as we care about them
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                  X