This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why now?

Don't know if this belongs here, either way here goes. I got a job offer as a technician at a Toyota dealership. Sounds great doesn't it? Only problem is that it would pay less than half per year than what I'm making now working at the welfare office and there would be practically no benefits, but I would be doing something I actually enjoy doing. Why didn't this come up when I was still at Target? I would've jumped on it in a second.
    "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Is this a case of having to decide on whether you want to be - poor yet happy, or rich yet miserable?
    I ride the time, it unfolds a new day,
    another time, this world would fade away
    To find true love, is like no other joy,
    our choice is here
    be happy for today

Comment

Normally I'd be the first to say that you should do a job that makes you happy, rather than one that makes you rich. However, do you really want a 50% pay cut and more importantly, no benefits? I think the no benefits thing could be a big issue there. Would there be an opportunity to work your way up to having benefits and more money, or is that a basic state of affairs for car technicians?
      A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
      - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl
        However, do you really want a 50% pay cut and more importantly, no benefits? I think the no benefits thing could be a big issue there. Would there be an opportunity to work your way up to having benefits and more money, or is that a basic state of affairs for car technicians?
        I was wondering about this too. With healthcare costs constantly rising, not having insurance simply isn't an option. Unless, that is, that the company offers it to you later? Sometimes firms do that--they'll hire you, put you on "probation" for a few months, then make you permanent with benefits.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I don't know about CA, but out here in the New England, you are looking at 4-5 years of full time work before a standard dealership/repair shop will offer health insurance. My brother learned that one the hard way. He also learned that as much as he likes cars, if he works on them day in and day out, he doesn't want to spend his weekends working on his project cars. So he has left the automotive tech industry and is going to school for HVAC.

But ultimately it is up to you. 50% of your salary is a HUGE amount of money to be giving up, but if you can still live on that do what makes you happy.
          The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

As much as I'd really like to take that job it simply wouldn't work out. I can't take that kind of hit financially, I would actually be making less than I was at Target unless I had some sort of certifications. But unfortunately I can't even qualify to be certified without two years of actual work experience, and that's just too long to go for such low pay.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Kind of stating the obvious, but.... what would their customers think when they see a Toyota tech pulling up in a Camaro?

Comment

Quoth bean
                Kind of stating the obvious, but.... what would their customers think when they see a Toyota tech pulling up in a Camaro?
                They'd probably look at me with loathing and disgust like they usually do when I'm in my Camaro.

Comment

Working...
                X