Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back about 5 food service companies ago, the people that ran our cafeteria at work used to serve a soup call Chicken Cheddar Chowder.

I never ate it, but it's fun to say
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I've always got a giggle out of the word onomatopoeia. The spelling and pronunciation seems at odds with the meaning.
      Also addendum ever since I had a customer refer to it as an 'add and end them' (and then spell it like that in an email). She said it was because it was the sheets where they add some things and end others.
      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth Bardmaiden View Post
        Moist makes me laugh.
        Y'all keep reminding me of that scene in Throw Momma From the Train when he's trying to write the opening chapter of his book.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Phenomenon.

Say that word to yourself a few times. Then watch this...

Comment

For me, it's 'saucy'.
            Not only does it roll off the tongue, it comes from when I had to read Romeo and Juliet in high school and someone calls someone else a saucy boy. So every time my then 6 yr old brother would act up, I called him that. He would get insulted because I would burst out laughing.
            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

There are so many words that I find amusing. Antidisestablishmentarianism has already been mentioned. I like to say lepidopterous insect and made up yet funny word arachnicide.

And I'm surprised no one has posted this song yet from Doctor Demento: http://https://youtu.be/cMfmzEpvW-g

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                Pork.

Don't ask me why. I just find the word hilarious for some reason.
                Pork.

The one you love.
                This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Not so much word as descriptive phrase: cock smoking dick biscuit.

I'll be retiring it, though, because it was a thing between me and my now deceased best friend, and it breaks my heart to think it, much less say it.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Erinesque View Post
                    And I'm surprised no one has posted this song yet from Doctor Demento: http://https://youtu.be/cMfmzEpvW-g
                    That link doesn't work. Try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMfmzEpvW-g

Yiddish has lots of good funny words that sound exactly like what they mean. Shmendrick, kibitz, schlemiel, etc. Now I fancy a bagel with a shmeer.
                    Last edited by XCashier; 07-28-2016, 03:18 PM.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                      Phenomenon.

Say that word to yourself a few times. Then watch this...
                      Perhaps you mean this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Mc55P1i9g
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I love the old MAD MAGAZINE standbys.... Potrzebie, Veeblefetzer, and Furshlugginer (damn, sounds like a weird sort of funeral home, doesn't it? Or maybe a law firm?).

Potrzebie is just non-sequitur and utterly random.

Veeblefetzer is something I use as a placeholder for something I can't recall the name of due to a mental fart. "Hand me that... um,... that blue and yellow veeblefetzer over there, willya?"

And furshlugginer is a suitable replacement for an expletive. I was pleased to see its use in Disney's HERCULES. Phil: "...that furshlugginer heel of his!"

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                          I love the old MAD MAGAZINE standbys.... Potrzebie, Veeblefetzer, and Furshlugginer (damn, sounds like a weird sort of funeral home, doesn't it? Or maybe a law firm?).

Potrzebie is just non-sequitur and utterly random.

Veeblefetzer is something I use as a placeholder for something I can't recall the name of due to a mental fart. "Hand me that... um,... that blue and yellow veeblefetzer over there, willya?"

And furshlugginer is a suitable replacement for an expletive. I was pleased to see its use in Disney's HERCULES. Phil: "...that furshlugginer heel of his!"
                          Potrzebie is actually a Polish word, though.

And Donald Knuth (the Computer Science guy) actually used it once in an article that was actually published in MAD. "The Potrzebie System of Weights and Measures".

It's quite funny.

Google, at one point, had a Potrzebie calculator.

Another one I find funny is "meemaw" and/or "mimi" for grandmother. Although I had cousins who had their children call another cousin "mimi" for some reason...
                          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I always had a soft spot for widdershins. Its opposite, deasel, isn't nearly so interesting.

I like words that hardy ever get used that mean something simple. Pulveratricious, absquatulate (which I always think someone made up), and callipygian are all struggling to find their way into my writing.

One of the criticisms I read of "Fun Home" complained that Alison Bechdel kept the critic running for a dictionary.

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                              absquatulate
                              I just encountered this word for the first time the day before yesterday, when I was watching a Let's Play of "We Happy Few."
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                                Potrzebie is actually a Polish word, though.
                                Isn't it part of a word? I read something about the origin; the Mad Mag guy was somewhere that had Polish products, and there were some instructions or something on a package, and they started with a word like Potrzebie, but somewhat longer. I think...
                                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                                X