This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some riddles...

Courtesy of the Mensa* quiz book. Get your brain cells working overtime.I like these where you actually have to think and its not just guess the next squiggle in line.

1.The Football Game
    Andy and Mike live in the bay area.Last Sunday they drove 20 miles west to see the 49ers game in the afternoon.They then drove 120 miles east to their favourite seafood restaurant where they had dinner in their favourite seats overlooking the ocean.Who were the 49ers opponents?

2.The pilot
    My friend recently took up work as a pilot.He is the most relaxed easygoing man you could find.Yet in his new job following some problems he has become very formal and insists that colleagues only address him as Captain or Sir. What are his Christian name and surname?

💆

*thems the brain people they be
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

I have no idea on the second one, but I believe the answer to the first one is Tampa Bay. Because it doesn't say which Bay area. In San Francisco, you couldn't drive east to see the ocean, nor could you in Green Bay. So my guess there is Tampa Bay.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Re: the second one. Still not sure on the surname, but his given name is probably Roger.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

The second question, the pilot's first name is almost certainly Jack. Because "Hi, Jack!" is not something you ever want to say on board an airplane... His surname might be something on the order of "Baum", because again, "bomb" is a word to never ever say on an airplane.

Still thinking about the first one. Driving 20 miles west to see a game, then 120 miles east to the ocean. The questions I need to work out: Driving from where? From home? From their hotel room? Other? And, was the second drive 120 miles straight east, or was there a north-south component as well that is not counted in the mileage?
        Last edited by Nunavut Pants; 11-08-2018, 06:04 PM.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
          Still thinking about the first one. Driving 20 miles west to see a game, then 120 miles east to the ocean. The questions I need to work out: Driving from where? From home? From their hotel room? Other? And, was the second drive 120 miles straight east, or was there a north-south component as well that is not counted in the mileage?
          Yes, but I think you have to consider the first part. They live "in the Bay area". So they live near a bay.

It can't be California, because driving East from the San Francisco would put you 120 miles inland.

Green Bay is nowhere near the ocean.

Tampa Bay fits, because Florida is 160 miles wide at its widest part, and if you look at where Tampa Bay is, it would make sense that they could drive 120 miles across the state and east sushi overlooking the Atlantic ocean.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

#1. Definable the Bucks.
            #2. taking NP's thoughts. Jack Gunn.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

The second question made me think of the movie "Airplane!", where the pilot was Captain Ouver (Peter Graves) and his co-pilot was named Roger (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar)...

EDIT: the bit starts at 1:15
              Last edited by El Pollo Guerrera; 11-10-2018, 03:53 AM.
              "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Working...
              X