Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pointing to the register will not get me to move faster!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pointing to the register will not get me to move faster!

So today is truck day and since I'm the store manager, it is my duty to run register and stock totes (for anyone who doesn't know they are plastic boxes sent from the distribution center and contain small merchandise to be stocked).

One of the totes had a couple items for the back of the store so I head back there quickly to stock them. Cue grumpy old man with toothpick in his mouth (what is in those toothpicks that cause old men to become royal arsholes?) who doesn't take kindly to there not being a slave stationed at the register waiting for business. As I'm walking back up he makes a pointing motion to the register.

So I get up there and he throws his items down on the counter and I proceed to ring him up. Then he tells me he wants one of the 6 packs of mountain dew from the u-boat outside. So I tell him I don't have the barcode for it at the register so I would need the mountain dew so I could scan it. Cue the butthurt face 'You mean I have to go GET it?' In my head I'm thinking 'No sh!t sherlock'

So he comes back with the mountain dew and I scan it and give him his total. I think we all know what comes next, yep, tosses the money down on the counter. So I give him his change, receipt and bag and say 'Thank you and have a wonderful day!' Once again we all know what comes next, no reply, just a grunt and walk away.

Cue the next person in line, a wonderful elderly person who I've helped numerous times get stuff off the top shelf, lift heavy things for, etc because she's so sweet. Without missing a beat she says to me 'He must have missed the lesson on shopping etiquette that says a cashier is more likely to go above and beyond when you are nice to them'

And she's right, I go out of my way to help her, not just because she needs the help, but she treats me like a human being and not some slave peon.

Oh man I feel your pain! This used to happen SO much when I was at Land of Quid. I was the main cashier on an afternoon, but I also used to help stock the shelves and tidy up, which meant I had to leave the till sometimes, but I always checked back there every 30 seconds or so. The amount of people that yelled at me to serve them... it was a nightmare. Some of them got really nasty too. The worst were the ones who yelled at me because I was helping someone else... as if they were the only important customer in the shop.

Comment

Yeah, at my store for the first 2-3 hours we're open and for 1-2 hours in the afternoon, there's generally only one person working. People are SHOCKED when I try to explain that just because Dollar Admiral is a corporation, that not all stores are the same. We're a low volume store. I explain to them that in one day, Awful-mart down the road does more business then my store does in AN ENTIRE MONTH. As a store, I can't afford to staff two people in the store at all times.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
        (what is in those toothpicks that cause old men to become royal arsholes?)...
        ... because they frequently trip, stumble and fall with them in their mouths.
        When they go "Aaaahhh" for the doctor, their tonsils look like a porcupine with all the lost toothpicks...
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
          Yeah, at my store for the first 2-3 hours we're open and for 1-2 hours in the afternoon, there's generally only one person working. People are SHOCKED when I try to explain that just because Dollar Admiral is a corporation, that not all stores are the same. We're a low volume store. I explain to them that in one day, Awful-mart down the road does more business then my store does in AN ENTIRE MONTH. As a store, I can't afford to staff two people in the store at all times.
          Yup. A couple of ERs I've worked in staff this way. We increase staff at high volume times (late afternoon until after midnight) and decrease staff at low volume times (after 2am until around 9am).

It makes perfect economic sense; you don't want people standing around pulling a paycheck and doing nothing. If it gets busy, the way we increase staff is one person per hour, so it's rare that staffing affected wait times until we got to max staffing at the busiest time of day (around 5pm).

But some people bitch if they want to wait more than 5 minutes to get a band aid on their cut fingers
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
            (what is in those toothpicks that cause old men to become royal arsholes?)
            That toothpick is the only fiber they ever get in their diet, so they are always full of crap.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Funny story along these lines ....

Yesterday, I was at the register, but no one had come up for about a minute or so. So, I headed off to tidy up, like I'm supposed to! Evidently this "man" came into the store as I was walking away. He went to the register and started yelling HEY HEY HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I turn right around and get back to the register .... maybe 30 seconds have passed. "Hi welcome to <store name redacted> How can I help you?"

He looks at me ..... and looks at me ..... and looks at me ..... Then says "I don't remember what I'm supposed to get".

ROFL Ok buhbye !!!!!!!

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                ...Evidently this "man" came into the store as I was walking away. He went to the register and started yelling HEY HEY HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... "I don't remember what I'm supposed to get".

ROFL Ok buhbye !!!!!!!
                If he owns horses, maybe he wanted Hay.
                "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Too bad the U-boat couldn't open fire and sink him.
                  "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                    Yup. A couple of ERs I've worked in staff this way. We increase staff at high volume times (late afternoon until after midnight) and decrease staff at low volume times (after 2am until around 9am).
                    Yup. I've been in a couple of quiet, lightly staffed ERs. In one case, Bast was the only patient.
                    One way to be seen promptly, I admit!

In the other, we were one of a very few patients (Toth, this time), but we had a long wait. Why? Because Toth was stable. Needed to be seen, yes, but stable. The other main group of patents were the result of a traffic accident, and while we never heard details, we saw enough people doing that medical 'fast-walk' that I assume all sorts of urgent dire-ness was happening.
                    We did get regular visits from staff, just checking that Toth was still stable and all was well in our corner of the ER. So .. no big deal.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      In the other, we were one of a very few patients (Toth, this time), but we had a long wait. Why? Because Toth was stable. Needed to be seen, yes, but stable. The other main group of patents were the result of a traffic accident, and while we never heard details, we saw enough people doing that medical 'fast-walk' that I assume all sorts of urgent dire-ness was happening.
                      We did get regular visits from staff, just checking that Toth was still stable and all was well in our corner of the ER. So .. no big deal.
                      When I was in my car accident last year, it was during a non-peak time for staffing. It seemed like every time somebody came in the room they would apologize for the wait. I would respond back that I didn't mind because I knew the wait meant they didn't think that I was in danger of dying.

(Plus I was doped up so time was both at a standstill and flying at the same time)

Comment

Working...
                      X