Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guy makes a guitar body from 1,200 colored pencils...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy makes a guitar body from 1,200 colored pencils...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBWc5Ye-uLU
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

The artists in my family are shrieking...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

.... He made two of them

Comment

OK, I had to see how he would do that, but was not expecting this. tl;dw: He cuts them into convenient length, then embeds them en masse in carnuba wax, to form a block of composite material. He then "cuts" this to shape, except he does it by drilling pencils out (which looks easier and safer than using a saw on that stuff) and some sort of excavating grinder. The result looks pretty good, and he handles it like it's light.

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
          OK, I had to see how he would do that, but was not expecting this. tl;dw: He cuts them into convenient length, then embeds them en masse in carnuba wax, to form a block of composite material. He then "cuts" this to shape, except he does it by drilling pencils out (which looks easier and safer than using a saw on that stuff) and some sort of excavating grinder. The result looks pretty good, and he handles it like it's light.
          Slight correction. He embeds them in epoxy resin. The carnuba wax was used on the box frame to make removal possible.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
            ...He then "cuts" this to shape, except he does it by drilling pencils out (which looks easier and safer than using a saw on that stuff) and some sort of excavating grinder.
            He does mention that he wished he had a band-saw or a jig-saw (I forget which). In fact, on his next colored-pencil guitar body, he does use a band-saw.

I think the "excavating grinder" you're talking about is a router or a router table.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Lorlundar, Nunavut: Makes sense. I'd been wondering about the structural strength of carnuba wax.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                The artists in my family are shrieking...
                Shhh, shhh, it's ok. He used RoseArt pencils, so it's not a huge loss. If he'd used PrismaColor, I could see being upset.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Sooo.. This seems to be a thing. Now someone made a Coloured Pencil Ukulele

Comment

My brother used to make bowls and cups from colored pencils. He's also used golf pencils.
                    Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Working...
                    X