Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will people learn? (some language)

I don't really mind helping people out with tech issues, but this one really has me scratching my head.

Client: "So, I got this huge packet of <ultra-sensitive financial papers> in the mail today, and I want to put them on my computer so I can look at them away from my desk. I've been trying for an hour, and I can't figure it out! I don't know what I'm doing wrong!"

Me: "Well, let's see. Are they things you need to put into Word or Excel, or are they more like receipts that need to be sent to the computer with your scanner?"

Client: "What's 'Word or Excel'? What's a scanner? Don't be using those technical terms with me!"

I explain what a scanner is. I follow that up with the briefest explanations of Microsoft Word and Excel ever given. The client still doesn't understand.

Client: "FOR GOD'S SAKE! I TOLD YOU NOT TO USE TECHNICAL TERMS!"

Me: *sigh* "All right. Let's start over. How were you trying to get these papers onto your computer? You tell me."

Client: "Well, that thing on my desk. You know, the big thing you look at with the words and pictures and Google on it?"

I kind of feel where this is going and brace for impact...

Me: "You mean your screen?" (I remembered not to say "monitor" this time.)

Client: "YES! Well, I held the papers up to the big thing on my de--er, screen--and..."

Me: "Were you trying to scan your papers in using your screen? Your screen can't do that. You have to either type them all in or use a scanner."

Client: "YOU MEAN I HAVE TO TYPE ALL THIS SHIT IN? FUCK YOU, YOU DAMN IDIOT!" *click*

Ah, the old, "swear at the tech to compensate for the user's lack of knowledge, and then hang up as quickly as possible afterwards," technique.

Sadly, this kind of thing is a common occurrence, it seems. I've bounced this off a few of my tech friends, and someone calls them with this "problem" once a day. After all the things like this that I have to support, it's a wonder I don't drink. If I did, I'm sure I could chug a whole fifth of scotch right now.

I despite people like that, asking for help and then being on the defense when you're being nice and considerate when helping them. After the second abusive part I would have said, "you know what? Never mind, I have a better idea. Who's your supervisor again? I'll let him or her know that you need trained on basic computer skills.. (slick)"

Comment

What's even scarier, is thinking of someone that stupid with those sensitive papers on their computer away from the desk. Because you know... it will take all of 4 minutes for them to be stolen. Cause someone that dumb, won't know how to pw protect their laptop....

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
        What's even scarier, is thinking of someone that stupid with those sensitive papers on their computer away from the desk. Because you know... it will take all of 4 minutes for them to be stolen. Cause someone that dumb, won't know how to pw protect their laptop....
        Lap...top? That's far and away beyond this L-user's knowledge.

"Any sufficuently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. And magic should be left to the wizards. No touchy! Bad Morloc!"
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

That image of him holding a paper to a monitor expecting it to be scanned in should make me laugh. But it doesn't. It makes me sad.

Very, very sad.
          I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Taking a recent line from a post from clientsfromhell.net:

"...and that's when the client was fired."

Comment

Quoth Bob The Random Boy Wonder View Post
              Client: "YOU MEAN I HAVE TO TYPE ALL THIS SHIT IN? FUCK YOU, YOU DAMN IDIOT!" *click*
              If a client ever talked to me like that and hung up like that, that would be the last time I talked to them. If the company I worked for wouldn't sack him for that sort of childish outburst I would walk out the door.

I have sacked a customer for less.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                Taking a recent line from a post from clientsfromhell.net:

"...and that's when the client was fired."
                Thanks, I think I found a new favorite website.

Comment

Working...
                X