This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth notlovinit View Post
    Okay so this preteen girl walks up to my counter with a GIGANTIC ziploc bag full of change and wants to trade it out for bills. Now, I know what you're thinking. Any business is not going to do that. Not even banks do that. They make you roll it yourself or if you're lucky they have a coin sorting machine you can use.

Nope, not my work. My work encourages us to do whatever the customer wants so that we don't get 1-800 complaints. I'm pretty sure this is my owner being a dipshit and not the entire corporation, but I don't know.
    If that was the policy, I'd lie too. Because it's about as durr hurr hurr as policies come.

You're not actually selling anything to Bag O'Change Girl--y'know, MAKING MONEY--you're just holding things up for the people who are presumably there to buy something from you.

Y'know, help you MAKE MONEY. Is everybody with me so far?

So to waste time playing bank for some moron, you're ticking off potential paying customers, who might just decide to take their money elsewhere.

But such is what apparently passes for business acumen these days.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
      I don't mind getting coins, but I also can not accept rolled coins -- we have to break them open and count. Sorry if that'll take too long, either go to a bank and get bills or stand there and wait.
      This is true in my supermarket as well. Because people DO frequently "forget" coins. Or sometimes its a roll of dimes with two dimes on the edges and filled with pennies or the like.

Comment

Quoth notlovinit View Post
        we will get bitched at and told "It will only take a hour. Just do it. Make the customer happy.
        I have a better idea. Turn them away and make the ten people in line behind them who now have to wait longer, happy instead...

Quoth dakhur View Post
        We have to take the change.
        That sucks. Banks have counting machines, at least. Then again, so do many grocery stores -- It must be a blessing to be able to make people use the Coinstar machine ^_^ It helps that some stores no longer charge the 8% or so fee if you accept the credit in the form of "store credit" rather than something you can trade for cash.

Quoth Ghel View Post
        We also charge to count non-customer coin (even though we have a machine), so we don't get as much as we used to.
        ..Which, I think, is the general idea. My local bank won't take coins from non-custy's at all. Even customers just get a "placeholder" deposit slip, as they put the coins in a canvas bank bag, label it, and run them through the machine later (unless it's really dead in there); the actual deposit slip is then mailed to the custy.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm a bit thankful... most people don't even realize I have a register unless they're specifically getting something from the computer repair section.

and most people don't come in to just buy small things so usually it's debit / credit and not cash

Comment

Working...
          X