This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth cinema guy
    One reason not to use Paypal is the fees. It doesn't affect the buyer, but it does take a small chunk from the seller's end.

When I sell stuff, I accept cheques, but I haven't had anyone pay by cheque for an age. I would much rather have the money straight away and then be able to post out the next day.
    I use PayPal to pay my parents back for the credit card of mine they paid off. I live in a different state so we figured this would be the easiest way. So for I haven't been charged.
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I think they don't charge for personal transactions from bank accounts. For selling they charge £0.20 + 3.4%
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Ah. That would make sense I suppose. And for that I'm thankful.
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
          From what I know, eBay doesn't even allow you to list money orders as a payment option any more, and never have they allowed you to pay in cash (have they?).
          Way back in the beginning, they didn't have any rules about how you could pay for items. Cash, check, money order, credit card... whatever the seller would take was good.

They can't stop sellers from still accepting anything they want; they can only restrict what sellers ask for - if a buyer suggests it, a seller is free to accept pretty much anything they want to risk.

Quoth cinema guy View Post
          One reason not to use Paypal is the fees. It doesn't affect the buyer, but it does take a small chunk from the seller's end.
          The fees for PayPal are usually around the same mark as credit card processing, so it's essentially a wash if you want to accept credit cards but don't want to have your own processing account. Plus, PayPal actually gives you greater protection as a seller than a basic processing account would.

And if you have any volume at all, the additional bids from those who will only pay via PayPal more than makes up for the added fees. I'm in the accounting office at my workplace, so I know what the fees amount to for both single users (boyfriend paid rent with eBay sales for several months some time back) and small businesses.

There are other, more valid reasons to be hating on PayPal, but most of the ones that people trot out are either irrelevant or easily worked around.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I hate paypal, I've had at least a mild "horror story" with it myself, and have had friends that have had full-on bona-fide Horror Stories of PayPal ripping them off.

That said, it's just part of being on eBay. It's a big reason why I don't go on eBay much anymore.

Sending a nasty message to a seller because he said he took paypal? That's just uncalled for though.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
              Question, how had is it to make a new bank account in America?

Here in Canada I have had as many as three diffirent bank accounts in three diffirent banks at the same time (one long term that I have had for decades, one was for a direct-to-account payroll where I openned the account in the same mall as work, and one to handle a Aunt's account) yet I had no problem openning an account in the Florida and because I have a debt VISA on that account I limit how much I put in it so no matter what they do all any scammer can get is the limited amount I keep in it.

With all the SC posts I see on this forum, exactly what is holding them back from openning an account in a diffirent bank with a limited amount of money in it?
              Lack of imagination, perhaps ... it never occurred to me.

Of course, the fact I rarely go across the border doesn't help, LOL. Would a U.S. bank let me open an account via the Internet?

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
              I would never consider sending cash for an eBay transaction. Before I got a bank account and PayPal, I would pay via money order. Some sellers would see I had 100% positive feedback as a buyer and would be willing to bend the rules if I asked to send a MO. Some didn't want to, and that's okay. From what I know, eBay doesn't even allow you to list money orders as a payment option any more, and never have they allowed you to pay in cash (have they?).

With anything I auction, if you can't pay with PayPal, you don't get the item. The End. If someone is reeeeeeeally nice and has good buyer feedback and asks if they can pay with a check or money order or what-not, I will probably say it's okay. But what is this moron trying to accomplish by being an asshole? Does he think if he bitches loud and long enough, your dad will just sell him the camera for cash to shut him up? And then I'm sure he'd turn right around and try to get your dad in trouble with eBay for accepting anything other than PayPal.
              (Emphasis mine) Yeah, that's probably exactly what he does think -- because it probably works for him in real life.

Personally, I'd never even *ask* to use a cheque. Money order, yeah, because that's basically cash in a safer form, but I wouldn't take a cheque so why would I ask somebody else to take one?

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              I had an early handheld movie camera...it was dusty, dirty and I don't think it worked, but my plan was to restore it for a display piece. A classmate's friend was ready and willing to help as soon as we both found the time.

Mom found the camera during one of her cleaning binges and I think it got thrown out I have no idea if it was valuable or not, but it was one of my prized local trash-pick finds.
              Ow, my sympathies! Now I've hit middle age I'm seeing a lot of value in stuff that two decades ago was just rubbish. I think that's called "perspective."

I've got an old 1950s-early 1960s home movie camera in my storage unit, complete with a pair of those gigantic lights that leave you seeing spots for the next half hour. Don't know if it still runs, but it's in excellent shape otherwise.

Comment

I shutter to think what would have happened if your dad had this SC winning the auction.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
                X