• Show
Clear All

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
    What the f*ck. Does not compute.
    Read about it here

And please pay no mind to the typos.
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Most people understand that electrical appliances require electrical power to work.
      Yeah. I've had to handle trouble shooting like that. Call came in that "the computer is down" so we go to investigate and the outlet is down.

Me: Yeah the outlet doesn't have any power. You have to talk to engineering.
      Sailor: But the computer is down. It's your equipment.
      Me: We don't control your outlets. Engineering does.
      Sailor: But the computer is yours to fix.
      Me: The computer is fine. You need to call engineering to get power to the outlet
      Sailor: but the computer...

Last edited by Dave1982; 01-11-2012, 10:42 PM. Reason: Removed copyrighted material

Comment

Quoth crashhelmet

Read about it here

And please pay no mind to the typos.
        Gods. DSA is... There are no words.
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          Is there any way to mount a guard around that switch?
          At work we just create a small cardboard box to go over the switch.

People just don't listen to the environment around them. More than a couple of times all I did was stand still until the problem happened and take note what equipment just started-up or shut-down when the problem occurred.
          Last edited by Dips; 01-09-2012, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
            I'm with you.. We have a site that is about an hour from my office.. We have a server that sites low in the rack, and kinda hangs out a little bit. About once every 2 or 3 months I have to drive out, and flip the switch on it, because someone else kicked the power switch with their foot, working on something else.
            My first real job (programming), we tossed a Nerf ball around from time to time. Someone managed to nail the "reset" button on my computer. Needless to say, I immediately made up a guard for the button - why not do that for the power switch that keeps getting kicked?
            Last edited by Dave1982; 01-11-2012, 10:43 PM. Reason: Removed copyrighted material
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              Is there any way to mount a guard around that switch?
              We've talked about it.. but there was no practical way to do it. it's a 1U server, and the switch is a fairly big switch, which happens to be close to a couple Ethernet Ports.

Quoth PepperElf View Post

O_o ... all of you sitting in this office yet no one noticed the two events were happening at the exact same time? easy fix too - move the buffer to another outlet, one that didn't have the same breaker as the switch

At a Job in the late 80s/early 90s that My Dad had, he worked in a Columbus, Oh Office, and one of his Bosses worked out of Pittsburgh. Every morning at 7AM, this boss wanted a certain report waiting for him on a networked printer. It was my Dad's responsibly to make sure that report was sent to the printer. It was an automatized report, so once my Dad set it up, in theory, he didn't have anything to worry about.. except, that 2 or 3 times a week, my Dad would come into the office with a voice mail on his phone from this boss SCREAMING that the reporter didn't get printed out. So my dad would go through all his normal checks to find out why, and at first didn't see anything. After about a few months, he discovered that the cleaning crew at the Pittsburgh Office, would unplug the printer, so they could vacuum the office, and 2 or 3 times a week, would not plug it back in. Even after pointed out that he had no control over the Cleaning crew in Pittsburgh from Columbus, to his Boss, My Dad would still get ripped a new one by the Boss every time the report didn't come out.
              Last edited by Dave1982; 01-11-2012, 10:45 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
              Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                We've talked about it.. but there was no practical way to do it. it's a 1U server, and the switch is a fairly big switch, which happens to be close to a couple Ethernet Ports.
                Unless there's crap in every direction, you should be able to make a switch cover out of cardboard. It just needs an attachment point where it hinges (any type of tape should work for that), and extend out past the button, across it, then back in to brace against the unit the button is part of. Kind of like this.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                X