X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight Mishaps

These are a few I've gathered up.

Ahem.

I have a line at my register about three people long and I hear from behind me a very very loud "AHEM" sound. When I turn around I have my eyes pretty much as wide as they can go and my eyebrows saying "Who dares disturb my customer service?"

SC: I WANT TO HAVE--
    Me: *turns back around and finishes the man's transaction.
    SC: *startled* HEY, I WANT TO HAVE--
    Me: How are you doing today? (talking to the woman who's next in line)
    SC: *grumbling and bitching but not moving*
    Me: *calling out to CW,* CW, could you help...this...?
    CW:

Coffee?

SC: Your coffee is out.
    Me: That's funny, I just put that out, there should be three pots in there.
    SC: Well it's gone, I'll wait while you make more.
    Me: Were you pushing or pulling on the lever?
    SC: Don't you think I know how to get my damn coffee?
    Me: ...*twitch* Pushing? Or Pulling?
    SC: Pushing.
    Me: *takes cup and pulls lever, coffee gleefully spills out*
    SC: Oh...

Tea?

This one wasn't sucky but the history of this pumper lid on top of the tea canister has made us really mad, we've had several customers come in and NEVER SAY ANYTHING and then complain on the site. They say that we're out of tea and nobody makes it for them but THEY NEVER SAID ANYTHING AND THERE IS ALWAYS TEA. *grumble grumble*

Confused Woman: There's no tea in this one...?
    Me: Huh, nobody buys tea so that's--*suddenly remembers* OOOOOH, that one's broken and they haven't gotten us a replacement, lemme just switch out the pumper with another one and there you are.
    Confused Woman: Oh that's wonderful! Hmmm, I wonder why they haven't gotten you a new one yet. That seems odd.
    Me: I'm just glad you ASKED.

Rewards Card =/= Gift Card Redux

SC: I had gas on pump seven *hands me gift card* and I want to use my points.
    Me: *waiting patiently for her to hand me her rewards card*
    SC: ...
    Me: ...
    SC: What are you doing? I'm going to pay in cash.
    Me: *shows her the gift card* Well then I'll need your Reward's card.
    SC: *stares at gift card, looks into wallet, finds rewards card* Oh, why did you have that then?! *shoves rewards at me*
    Me:

Confusing...

Out-of-it Man: Here, I want to use this for my gas on pump two. *hands me competitor rewards card that is blue (ours is red).
    Me: I'll need a [store] rewards card then. *tries to hand it back to him.*
    OM: This isn't a [thanksgiving dinner on a knoll]?
    Me: No. This is [store].
    OM: You're sure.
    Me: *looks down at my shirt that has the name, the tv behind me which has the name, takes my hat off and looks at it which has the name* Yes sir, pretty darn sure. Would you like a [store] rewards card instead?

Pet Peeves

My CW has a tendency to get mad at certain pet peeves and oftentimes if she confronts a customer the customer will never do the pet peeve ever again and surprisingly enough it almost never results in a complaint or argument (but admittedly it sometimes can.)

These pet peeves include:

Scanning your own rewards card. Not only has corporate forbade us from allowing customers to do this they have given us no power in which to enforce this. This is annoying because customers will sneakily do it and have to practically dive over the wide counter in order to do it. I've actually had a guy accidental boob graze me by doing this and I'll tell you what--he never did it again. I think it was the look of abject horror on my face and me holding my offended boob. We've taken to lifting up the scanners ever-so-slightly with a folded paper so they will not scan without the trigger being pulled so when they try to scan their card it does nothing. Then when we come back from getting their cigarettes we will then scan the card ourselves.

Throwing your money on the counter. My favorite thing she does is when she tells customers it's unlucky for them to throw their money on the counter instead of putting it in her outstretched hand. She tells them that they might want to pick it up off the counter and put it in her palm or they might get into some horrific car accident on the way out of the parking lot. (Said in the most concerned and polite of voices.) Nearly 90% of them actually pick up the money and give it to her.

Quoth Gaki View Post

My favorite thing she does is when she tells customers it's unlucky for them to throw their money on the counter instead of putting it in her outstretched hand. She tells them that they might want to pick it up off the counter and put it in her palm or they might get into some horrific car accident on the way out of the parking lot.
    I can see it now, someone driving off, hitting a post or pulling out in front of somone and getting hit, etc - then complaining to corporate that their employee cursed them

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post

Coffee?

SC: Your coffee is out.
      Me: That's funny, I just put that out, there should be three pots in there.
      SC: Well it's gone, I'll wait while you make more.
      Me: Were you pushing or pulling on the lever?
      SC: Don't you think I know how to get my damn coffee?
      Me: ...*twitch* Pushing? Or Pulling?
      SC: Pushing.
      Me: *takes cup and pulls lever, coffee gleefully spills out*
      SC: Oh...
      "Don't you think I know how to get my damn coffee?"

*after demonstrating correct use*
      "Apparently not, sir/madam."

Sheesh. What's wrong with saying, "Whoops, see what happens when I'm caffeine-deprived?!"

Confusing...

Out-of-it Man: Here, I want to use this for my gas on pump two. *hands me competitor rewards card that is blue (ours is red).
      Me: I'll need a [store] rewards card then. *tries to hand it back to him.*
      OM: This isn't a [thanksgiving dinner on a knoll]?
      Me: No. This is [store].
      OM: You're sure.
      Me: *looks down at my shirt that has the name, the tv behind me which has the name, takes my hat off and looks at it which has the name* Yes sir, pretty darn sure. Would you like a [store] rewards card instead?
      I love that "Are you sure this isn't [Definitely NOT Your Place of Employment]?"

I'd be sorely tempted to respond, "OMG!! IT WAS WHEN I CAME IN!!" and then start humming the Twilight Zone theme song.

Pet Peeves

My CW has a tendency to get mad at certain pet peeves and oftentimes if she confronts a customer the customer will never do the pet peeve ever again and surprisingly enough it almost never results in a complaint or argument (but admittedly it sometimes can.)

Scanning your own rewards card. Not only has corporate forbade us from allowing customers to do this they have given us no power in which to enforce this. This is annoying because customers will sneakily do it and have to practically dive over the wide counter in order to do it. I've actually had a guy accidental boob graze me by doing this and I'll tell you what--he never did it again. I think it was the look of abject horror on my face and me holding my offended boob. We've taken to lifting up the scanners ever-so-slightly with a folded paper so they will not scan without the trigger being pulled so when they try to scan their card it does nothing. Then when we come back from getting their cigarettes we will then scan the card ourselves.

Throwing your money on the counter. My favorite thing she does is when she tells customers it's unlucky for them to throw their money on the counter instead of putting it in her outstretched hand. She tells them that they might want to pick it up off the counter and put it in her palm or they might get into some horrific car accident on the way out of the parking lot. (Said in the most concerned and polite of voices.) Nearly 90% of them actually pick up the money and give it to her.
      Very creative way of getting people to behave! And isn't it amazing how many people are just superstitious enough to respond to her kindly warning?

That's interesting about your points cards. The place I usually patronize now has it as standard practice that the customer swipes their own points card. I have to be reminded every time.

Comment

"You're sure" --??? They actually say this? I mean have they ever walked into a place and heard an employee say "ohmygod I just realized I don't work here, I work at a completely different place!"
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
          You know, there was a time when I would read stories that end like this and I would die a little inside or lose a little more of my faith in humanity managing to achieve a bright star trek like future...

Now it doesn't faze me anymore. I look at them and think "Yep, about par for the course."
          I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
            These are a few I've gathered up.

Pet Peeves

Now I don't mind when they drop/throw the money on the counter. Why??? Because I work in a drugstore. We have 18,0000+ (exaggerated for emphasis) sick people in our store every day. I do NOT want to take a chance of touching their hand and catching whatever illness de jour they are carrying. I do understand that in other retail places this is considered rude, but for me ... I like it!

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
              I have a line at my register about three people long and I hear from behind me a very very loud "AHEM" sound. When I turn around I have my eyes pretty much as wide as they can go and my eyebrows saying "Who dares disturb my customer service?"

SC: I WANT TO HAVE--
              Me: *turns back around and finishes the man's transaction.
              SC: *startled* HEY, I WANT TO HAVE--
              Me: How are you doing today? (talking to the woman who's next in line)
              SC: *grumbling and bitching but not moving*
              Ooh, I hate those customers who interrupt me when I'm helping another customer. In my case, I'll be measuring out several yards of fabric when Suckus Custus Interruptus butts in wanting to know where something is. Thanks so much, you've made me lose count!
              Quoth Gaki View Post
              Confused Woman: There's no tea in this one...?
              Me: Huh, nobody buys tea so that's--*suddenly remembers* OOOOOH, that one's broken and they haven't gotten us a replacement, lemme just switch out the pumper with another one and there you are.
              Confused Woman: Oh that's wonderful! Hmmm, I wonder why they haven't gotten you a new one yet. That seems odd.
              Me: I'm just glad you ASKED.
              And the moral of the story is: Ask, and ye shall receive. Being polite helps, too.
              Quoth Gaki View Post
              My CW has a tendency to get mad at certain pet peeves and oftentimes if she confronts a customer the customer will never do the pet peeve ever again and surprisingly enough it almost never results in a complaint or argument (but admittedly it sometimes can.)...My favorite thing she does is when she tells customers it's unlucky for them to throw their money on the counter instead of putting it in her outstretched hand. She tells them that they might want to pick it up off the counter and put it in her palm or they might get into some horrific car accident on the way out of the parking lot. (Said in the most concerned and polite of voices.) Nearly 90% of them actually pick up the money and give it to her.
              Ten out of ten for sheer moxie!
              Quoth Teefies2 View Post
              Now I don't mind when they drop/throw the money on the counter....I do understand that in other retail places this is considered rude, but for me ... I like it!
              I don't really care if they hand me the money or place it on the counter. I just don't like it when they throw it with the "Pick it up, slave!" attitude.
              Last edited by XCashier; 01-12-2012, 05:56 AM.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

We changed branding over 2 years ago... The old company's call centre STILL tells people they manage our location, which causes no end of issues when people come in with company-issued cheques - 1, it's made out to the wrong recipient, and 2, we don't take them even if they're made out to us, due to excess fraud!
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

lemme just switch out the pumper with another one and there you are.
                  there's no coffee left in the pump when it's changed out?

would think that could lead to issues?

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                    Coffee?

Tea?
                    Monster?

(Cookies for reference.)
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      "You're sure" --??? They actually say this? I mean have they ever walked into a place and heard an employee say "ohmygod I just realized I don't work here, I work at a completely different place!"
                      People have this weird tendency to ask clearly rhetorical questions and then expect an answer. I'll be chatting with a friend at school, and say something like "...and then my daughter said..." And some random young student will say "OHMYGOD you have a daughter!?"

...No, hon. I just said it to confuse random nearby people.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        there's no coffee left in the pump when it's changed out?

would think that could lead to issues?
                        It was tea, and the pumper is actually separate from the piece that actually goes into the tea and has all the tea in it. It's really really hard to explain but there's a piece that goes into the tea and the tea goes through and then attached to it is the thing that actually pumps the tea up and out, it was the PUMPER that was broken and not the actual thing that has tea go through it.

Really hard to explain I don't even know how it works, I just take them apart and put them back together when necessary. So no, she would have not gotten any other kind of tea in hers.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          "Wow, I really hope they're gonna pay me; I've been here for eight hours!!"

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                            People have this weird tendency to ask clearly rhetorical questions and then expect an answer. I'll be chatting with a friend at school, and say something like "...and then my daughter said..." And some random young student will say "OHMYGOD you have a daughter!?"

...No, hon. I just said it to confuse random nearby people.
                            .....Now I want to try that The response of "No, I have two sons, why would you think I have a daughter?" and then watching the utter confusion just appeals to me

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                              Monster?

(Cookies for reference.)
                              Animaniacs for the win!

Comment

Working...
                              X