Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my company, we have to put things on sale to sell them. A lot of this is due to our pricing.

For example, in the furniture department, there are items where the retail price is three times the cost of the item or more. Then we'll mark it down half off and it looks like you're getting a good deal when you're really being cornholed, just not as severely as you would be if you bought it for full retail.

Then there are those plastic storage cart thingies. Our biggest one is $100 retail. A few months ago I got to listen to somebody complain that we were charging sixty bucks for a different cart. If I felt like it and had the time, I could've explained to her that plastic comes from oil, which we must import because we've made the political choice not to drill for it in our own country, the countries that supply the oil are not all that friendly to us, the oil has to be chemically changed into plastic, and we're not the only country on Earth that uses oil.

But no matter. Even after all those things, the markup on that cart was enough to allow us a tidy profit, even at its sale price.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Short, true answer: "We're segmenting different consumers on the down side of the supply and demand curve."

Then run away while their eyes roll back in their heads....

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        I have heard that if it is not sold by a certain date in the new year, the company has to pay an inventory tax on the unsold product. They prefer discounting it to paying the tax on it.
        Quoth Argus View Post
        They weren't selling enough to make the suits happy.
        See? Explanation for just about anything.

Also ogod, back into hiding before I get shot.
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
          See? Explanation for just about anything.

Also ogod, back into hiding before I get shot.
          fireheart is our gunner...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            fireheart is our gunner...
            ...Welp, guess I should start writin' out the ol' will, then.
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
              ...Welp, guess I should start writin' out the ol' will, then.
              Them Nerfs is lethal, I tell ya!
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
              X