This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning wood floors

I'm looking for some suggestions for cleaning products (homemade or otherwise) to clean wooden floors. They are not in spectacular shape to begin with; however, I was spot-cleaning after grabbing the first thing that came to hand, which was this. I'm noticing it's left smear marks on the wood floor.

Thanks!

Try this,
    1/8 cup mild liquid dish soap
    1/2 cup vinegar

It's what I use on my kitchen floors.

Comment

Seconding Murphy's. Love that smell. (Try a small area first, ymmv.)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got all of those so should be able to get the floors looking at least OK.

Comment

ya i was going to say murphy's too. although i personally hated it when my bf oiled the floor in the apartment (this was when we were in Japan). i would always slip and fall on it cos i was wearing socks.

Comment

I've had the giggles reading this thread. I have no clue the best answer, but the thread has made me realize I'm hopelessly addicted to American Horror Story. I just keep picturing the scene with Moira telling Vivien that Murphy's Oil Soap kills the wood so she only uses white vinegar.
            "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

I've heard vinegar can be too harsh and strip wood floors. The recipe I know is 3 black tea bags in 4 or so cups of boiling water. It's more detailed here

Comment

Quoth blondemarmot View Post
                ... The recipe I know is 3 black tea bags...
                You're teabagging your floors?!?! Watch out for splinters.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth blondemarmot View Post
                  I've heard vinegar can be too harsh and strip wood floors.
                  Works fine on mine.

Comment

My parents had the entirety of the house (save for my bedroom) left as original wood floors, or some of it is that fake wood floor.

I use a mixture of steaming hot water and about 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar to mop that floor (and the laminate bathroom floor), and the Swiffer Wet Jet for anything so stubborn the vinegar won't get it.

Vinegar isn't too harsh at all. I put that stuff in a spray bottle with water and spritz the inside of my shoes and my hamper with it. Works better than baking soda. It also dries odorless, so even if it's really podent when you spray it, it'll go away, I promise.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                    X