This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advise for interview

So as some of you may know I stupidly left my job back in Nov without a new job and have been unemployed since... I have an interview on Tuesday that I really want to nail because I really can't stand spending another day at home looking for a job. The interview is working at a hotel. I have worked for the same hotel "family"in the past for five years. Since I was an M.O.D. for 4 of the 5 years I know a lot about the hotel chain. Where I always feel like I screw up at an interview is two places:

1 When they ask do you have any questions. Since I have worked for the hotel chain in my past I know a lot of what is expected for this position. Usually before an interview I try to come up with questions already set but they will get answered during the interview so I won't have any questions. I have been told this isnt good that you should always "ask questions". So is it better to say I have no questions or ?

2 When the interviewer asks What is your weakest quality? I never really know how to answer this

Thank you for any suggestions

Hi there! I have been stalking this site for years and years - but first post! I have worked in HR in the past, and might be able to help a bit.

1) a couple of good generic questions are:
    - Why is the position available?
    - What would the starting date be?
    - How many other people in the team?

They all show interest, without seeming ignorant about the company. Unless they directly tell you the answer in the interview, ask away.

2) I always use the 'I take my work too seriously and am a bit of a perfectionist' This one usually works really well in your favor. If you cant pull this one off, use a non-work related weakness, ie Shoes, handbags, Car accessories, etc. As long as it isnt illegal or immoral (sex, drugs, etc) it will usually work.

Most of all, be confident. You already have the job, they just dont know it yet.
    Good luck.

Comment

If you can't think of any questions about the job, then ask something about how they think you could best fit into the current work team or corporate structure. It shows that you are thinking about getting along with others that work there, that you are not just in it for yourself.

As to weakest quality, I can't really answer for you, but I usually answer something like I don't have a lot of patience with people who don't choose to do the job they are assigned to the best of their ability. I feel that if the company hires you, you owe it to the company to do the best job you can in the position you are in.

Hope this helps!

Comment

You could ask about the specific hotel (client demographics? average number of rooms rented out), the area it's in, common questions patrons ask (popular restaurants or attractions), opportunities for advancement, what happened to the previous employee, what's a typical day like. Or ask if there's been a change to X policy.

For the weakness one, the trick is to pick something believable (not "I'm a perfectionist/workaholic") and then spin it in a positive way: "I have trouble with X, and here's what I do to help with that." In my case, I have trouble remembering people's names, so I'd say that and then explain what I do to help me remember.

Good luck!

Comment

Question: "what is the thing that you find people in this role struggle with the most?"

Similar Question: "where would you like to see improvements in your customer service relevant to the role?"

Weakness for me : I don't like to leave something half done and prefer to finish it up rather than working to a clock. (This may backfire if they are really strict about overtime though).
          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

That question about 'your weakness' is a nasty trick question. Any answer like 'I'm a perfectionist' generally illicits a response like 'And how is that a weakness?' since any good interviewer already knows those sorts of answers. Miss Fatale's response was a great one!
            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Thank you every one for the advise I will remember the advise still waiting to hear back from the guy to set the time for interview.

Comment

another good question, since you've previously worked for said company:
                "I know from experience things change, have there been any major changes I would need to be aware of that would affect my training schedule? or something along those lines.
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Avimin View Post

2) I always use the 'I take my work too seriously and am a bit of a perfectionist' This one usually works really well in your favor. If you cant pull this one off, use a non-work related weakness, ie Shoes, handbags, Car accessories, etc. As long as it isnt illegal or immoral (sex, drugs, etc) it will usually work.

No no no no, don't ever do this. Maybe several years ago this advice was okay but you try this today the interviewer will inwardly roll their eyes and think to themselves "like I'm gonna fall for the oldest cliche in the book...".

Instead, give a real weakness, but also explain how you are working to overcome it. Just make sure it's not a weakness that would prevent you from being qualified for the job. For example, if you were interviewing for a CPA position, you don't want to say your weakness is that you can't balance your checkbook!

Comment

Working...
                  X