This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is it!

I'm done. I can't do department store retail anymore. Nope. I have gone from 30+ hours, 5 days a week to 8 hours 2 days a week, to >20 hours. Next week I have ONE four hour shift. I'm getting the distinct impression I've upset someone and they can't nut up and talk to me about whatever issues they have with me. Yes, yes, hours have been cut, but at the same time we are apparently understaffed. How the blazes does that happen!?
    I'm going for a nice, long, well deserved vacation to Colorado in June and if I haven't found anything my then, I'm still quitting. I will even take a stupid phone bank job at that point.
    Of course all this hours cutting crap started back in January when I had to call in and leave early a couple times because I had to take my dad to the hospital for emergency colon resection (yes, cancer) and I'm his ONLY family in town.

So what am I doing next week? Finishing up with essays and job hunting.

Wow, that really sounds like it sucks. Best of luck to you with the job hunt
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Please take our best wishes to your father for us.

Rapscallion

Comment

I'm also going to Colorado at the end of June!!! Maybe I'll see you there. Yuk yuk!

I'll be vacationing in Denver for a week, which is going to be great as it will be completely Retail-free for me, and it's going to be PAID as well. Maybe if I see a good job lead in Denver, I'll just take it and never come back...Welllll...nah...I'd have to come back and get all my things. After 4 years in the same crappy, dead-end position at my work and not being able to get promoted because the bosses say I'm "too good at what I do," I feel it's time to get a new job, but everyone's telling me to hold off job hunting for a while until AFTER vacation. Take advantage of the company paying you $275 just to have fun for a week and then rub it in their faces by getting a job somewhere else!

I may not even give 2-week notice. Some say that not giving notice would hurt my chances for ever getting "rehired" but why the hell would I come back to THAT place??? I'd sooner stand at a street corner trying to ask for spare change, and from what I heard, THAT pays more than what my work pays me currently!

Comment

It's an unfortunate happenstance that people who are too good at what they do are rarely promoted.

The problem is that they need competent workers. Incompetent people get promoted so as to take them out of the work so it can actually be done. It's called "The Dilbert Principle"

And you can always take lots of stuff with you to Denver (maybe have stuff boxed up should you need to return?). Start looking now and if you have a job when you get there, well....it may just happen.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

[QUOTE=Tama;1038723]It's an unfortunate happenstance that people who are too good at what they do are rarely promoted.

The problem is that they need competent workers. Incompetent people get promoted so as to take them out of the work so it can actually be done. It's called "The Dilbert Principle"

Actually, prior to Dilbert's creation, it was called the Peter Principle (and I suspect Dilbert borrowed it). Either way, clearly those who are good at what they do get stuck there FOREVVEER!!!!!!!!

Comment

If I remember correctly, the Peter Principle is a similar, but slightly different concept, namely that managers always get promoted to the first job they're incompetent at.

You start at one job, do that job well and get promoted. Then you do that job well
              and get promoted, and so it goes until you end up with a job you can't do well, and then you're stuck there because you can't get promoted.
              The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

Quoth downforit2008 View Post
                I may not even give 2-week notice. Some say that not giving notice would hurt my chances for ever getting "rehired" but why the hell would I come back to THAT place??? I'd sooner stand at a street corner trying to ask for spare change, and from what I heard, THAT pays more than what my work pays me currently!
                Well, you don't want to hurt your reference, either. If someone at my company does not give a two week notice and someone calls me for a reference, I can verify the dates they worked but have to tell them they are not rehire-able.

Comment

Quoth Divra View Post
                  If I remember correctly, the Peter Principle is a similar, but slightly different concept, namely that managers always get promoted to the first job they're incompetent at.

You start at one job, do that job well and get promoted. Then you do that job well
                  and get promoted, and so it goes until you end up with a job you can't do well, and then you're stuck there because you can't get promoted.

You are exactly right. Thanks for refreshing my memory! (And dang our age is showing - that book came out in 1969, just looked it up)

Comment

I'm retiring to Colorado at the end of June, no stealing all the jobs! Though if you agree to give me a good reference, that'll work....Best of luck to you both, in any case

Comment

Working...
                    X