Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok granted alcoholics aren't the best at cause and effect reasoning, but what exactly did they think was going to happen if they did manage to get through the door? That you'd magically be able to serve them rather than calling the cops to haul away some trespassers.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I work in a Gas station in the event of a power cut all you have to do is park by the pumps and the electricity fairies will be so impressed they will power up the place just for you. So that doesn’t
      surprise me in the least.

Comment

Right now we live in a small town, no tourism here of any sort, and i can name 9 pubs right away, and I know there's more. That's not counting restraunts etc.

In the tiny village I grew up in there were 2 pubs and 3 cafe/restaurant type places.

The local pub is a british institution and you can't go very far in any residential area without finding at least one, probably 2. Why couldn't they go somewhere else until the place was up and running?

I think part of the problem is the queue, if you've been standing there for a few minutes then you develop this odd feeling of "well i've been here x long, another y minutes makes no difference." or "I've been waiting for x long, if i leave now it's a waste of all that time I waited" Or the possibly even less logical version of "I've been waiting x long, i just know that if I leave they'll open the doors as soon as i'm out of sight"

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
          I think part of the problem is the queue, if you've been standing there for a few minutes then you develop this odd feeling of "well i've been here x long, another y minutes makes no difference." or "I've been waiting for x long, if i leave now it's a waste of all that time I waited" Or the possibly even less logical version of "I've been waiting x long, i just know that if I leave they'll open the doors as soon as i'm out of sight"
          That happens in the US here at Jeers too. I can hear calls for backup cashiers in the Men's department. I'll announce "no waiting in [my department]" several times over the PA, but they'd rather stand there and huff rather than (horror of horrors) take an elevator upstairs.
          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Stun guns and cattle prods are a wonderful thing. Ask your manager to get some for you guys.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I love the way this ordeal was written! Before you mentioned The Walking Dead I was actually thinking that if you added a few detached eyeballs to the equation it could very well pass for a deleted scene from Shaun of the Dead.

I'm also a person of routine so I can understand the people feeling inconvenienced but at the same time I'd also understand that it isn't your fault and there is nothing further you can do.

Comment

crml, I think I have the solution. Just tell them, in a stern voice: "Gents, we have no power. Power keeps the beer cold. Power keeps the carbonation pumps working. Power keeps the heat on in the Winter and the Cooling on in the summer. If we were to serve you beer now, it would be WARM and FLAT." Leave out the part where no power also means no working cash registers, as I'm sure they'd be more than happy to not pay...

With any luck, they'll run off, terrified and shrieking...
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  "Gents, we have no power. If we were to serve you beer now, it would be WARM and FLAT."

With any luck, they'll run off, terrified and shrieking...
                  No, they'd still order their beer, then whine, "This is waaaaaaaarm!" and demand a refund.

Comment

When I was working at the garden centre, we had a power cut. Everything was out, even the traffic lights and street lights. Cuz it was three in the afternoon, the owner decided to close the store. The customers complained like crazy; it took about an hour to force them all out. Cuz they just couldn't grasp the fact that tills etc run on electric; they run on magic, right?
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

I probably would have called the police if that many people were just loitering outside.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                        You must be the only pub in your city, and there are no liquor stores or grocery stores or moonshiners around, right?

Right?
                        That was my thought, or maybe you all serve the best breakfast and booze in town, and it's worth waiting for.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                          No, they'd still order their beer, then whine, "This is waaaaaaaarm!" and demand a refund.
                          CRML is in England. I hear they like their beer warm.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            Untrue. Real ale, yes, should be served at room temperature as icing it kills the flavour, but we drink our lager as cold as anyone else.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                              Untrue. Real ale, yes, should be served at room temperature as icing it kills the flavour, but we drink our lager as cold as anyone else.
                              Oh no! Another cultural myth destroyed!
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                                Actually, they don't LIKE their beer warm - they have no choice in the matter. After all, Lucas also makes refrigerators.
                                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X